Davidpearl

RPI 3B+ + HDMIPI - Powerboost 1000C - Help!

Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:20 pm

Hi Guys,

Hope you are well

I am creating a portable Raspberry Pi Project utilising the Raspberry Pi 3 B+ and the HDMIPI 9" HDMI Screen

I have everything I need wired up but having issues Power the RPI and the HDMI Driver Board from an Adafruit Powerboost 1000C.

HDMIPI takes either a 12V 1A Barrel Jack or 5.2V 2A Micro USB and can back power the RPI through a dedicated Back power USB

I tried both powering the HDMI Power with the official Raspberry Pi Power Supply through the Powerboost 1000C and back powering the RPI 3 B+ with a step up convert in between to up the Voltage to 5.1v and that doesn't work.

I have also tried using 5v in 1000C direct to the RPI and another 5v to the HDMI board and this doesn't work either - Also tried separate 5V with a step up converter to the HDMIPI to 5.2v and the separate 5v stepped up to 5.1v to the RPI and that doesn't work either.

If I use the official power supply through the HDMIPI with the RPI back powered that works perfectly its just when I try and use the Powerboost 1000C it all falls apart and it won't boot

Anyone have any tip or hints to help get me up and running? I have tried everything I know to my limited knowledge :(

I really I want the chain below:

Preferred Method:
- Mains Power -> Adafruit Powerboost 1000C (Charging Lipo) -> HDMIPI -> RPI 3 B+
- Lipo Power -> Adafruit Powerboost 1000C -> HDMIPI -> RPI 3 B+

Alternative method:
- Mains Power -> Adafruit Powerboost 1000C (Charging Lipo) -> HDMIPI
- Mains Power -> Adafruit Powerboost 1000C (Charging Lipo) -> RPI 3 B+

- Lipo Power -> Adafruit Powerboost 1000C -> HDMIPI
- Lipo Power -> Adafruit Powerboost 1000C -> RPI 3 B+

My Setup so far is:
Image[/URL][/img]

Any and all Help is greatly appreciated

Kind Regards,

David Pearl

wh7qq

Re: RPI 3B+ + HDMIPI - Powerboost 1000C - Help!

Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:07 am

Your image and text seem a bit unclear...there are some bits present in the picture that you do not seem to have itemized. The following is based on your text. You might want to include a schematic diagram, even pencil sketched, that includes all the boards.

Seems pretty clear that the powerboost 1000c is not up to the heavy lifting required by the 3B+ and the HDMPI while the "official" supply (2.5 amps) can handle the load. It might also have something to do with the battery state. If the charger is working at full load charging the battery, there may not be enough current capability left over for the 3B+ and HDMPI.

Try charging the battery to cutoff (4.2 v for lipos in parallel as you appear to have them) before powering up the 3B+ and the HDMPI. Then see at what level the thing dies. A single 18650 battery can take some hours to recharge, depending on rate and level of discharge so your power bank will require quite a bit of time if it is semi-discharged...be patient for it to get to a full 4.2 volts. Also, make sure your charging cable is sufficiently heavy duty...24G or better...so that voltage drop at the higher current rates does not put you below the RPi threshold voltage.
Sent by WH7QQ from an RPi3/Raspbian/pixel desktop.

Davidpearl

Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:23 pm

Thank you so much for the reply.

Sorry I didn't itemize everything that's going on as I have changed the configurations quite a bit

On the pi side of things:
Raspberry PI 3 B+

Petrockblogs Powerblock on top (power on/off shut down with safe shutdown script )

Step up converter to bring the voltage to 5.1v on to the PI

There are also so homemade terminal blocks to terminate modules/power against

I have fully charges the batteries and I still have the same issue.

I did check my voltages yesterday so I assume maybe it could be an amperage problem.

Voltage out of adafruit powerboost 1000c

Power into Hdmi Driver Board (used the 12v 1A input instead of the 5v 2A)

Power into the raspberry pi via the Powerblock

Davidpearl

Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:28 pm

As you can see i am not suoer technical so usually just fund it best talking it out with people.

If you would be willing to, I know it is an ask, but if you are free at some point and wanna help a brother out, wonder if you would be happy to live chat whilst I tinker and take advise?

wh7qq

Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:52 am

I'd be happy to help you but beyond what I have said, I am out of suggestions except that the 1000C may not be up to handling the load...check Adafruit's specs on that but they do say in their text that beyond 1000 ma into the battery, only 800 remains for the RPi. That your 2.5 amp supply carries the load ok proves out the shortfall. You might possibly be better off with a 2B or maybe a 3B without wifi but that will probably not give you the performance and features you require.

That big display is probably the killer. Total up the current consumption on all the bits that are connected to the system and eliminate anything that is not absolutely necessary. If it still doesn't run, you need to rethink the entire project. Use the voltage across the 2nd or 4th (board numbering) GPIO terminals to ground (6th)...the RPi will refuse to boot if it is below threshold. I have not seen official numbers for the 3B+ but it is somewhere between 4.8 and 4.7 volts and it is easy to drop that much over a small USB cable at high currents. Powering through the USB port may not be the best bet either but again that is a guess. Powering through the display controller may have some losses as well.

I have no idea if you can parallel more than the single 1000c...never tried it but for sure you could parallel the battery side inputs to two 1000C boards and power the display and the RPi separately.

Beyond that, you need to cobble up some sort of interconnection block diagram and hope that another user can help but we are blind without something like that.
Sent by WH7QQ from an RPi3/Raspbian/pixel desktop.

klricks

Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:56 am

I am pretty sure that there have been several posts here regarding Powerboost 1000. As I remember the PB 1000 is not suitable to run a RPi3B (without screen) so RPi3B+ would be even worse.
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Stretch w/ Desktop OS.

Davidpearl

Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:35 pm

Is there a way to increase the current through a separate board or even make one myself?

Return to “Gaming”