Micha1982

ScummVM does not work anymore on fresh install

Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:26 am

As written, ScummVM does not start anymore on fresh install - only black screen.
Any ideas? Tested 2 times now, with Raspbian from 24.12.14 and 31.1.15.

Completely fresh install now, only screenmode is changed to 720p, overscan top, bottom right and left is activated in config.txt and turbo is on, nothing else is changed!

Installed without x, directly after startup in textconsole with sudo apt-get install scummvm.
'Started' with scummvm.

Any ideas?
Alles, was schiefgehen kann, wird auch schiefgehen.

Vanfanel

Re: ScummVM does not work anymore on fresh install

Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:16 am

Micha1982 wrote:As written, ScummVM does not start anymore on fresh install - only black screen.
Any ideas? Tested 2 times now, with Raspbian from 24.12.14 and 31.1.15.

Completely fresh install now, only screenmode is changed to 720p, overscan top, bottom right and left is activated in config.txt and turbo is on, nothing else is changed!

Installed without x, directly after startup in textconsole with sudo apt-get install scummvm.
'Started' with scummvm.

Any ideas?
Yeah, use my proper scummvm port here, instead of the default version, which relies on BROKEN sdl 1.2.x framebuffer video:

https://github.com/vanfanel/scummvm/tree/gles_custom

Micha1982

Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:05 am

Ok, many thanks, I try it next time -
hopefully anyone remove that non-working one immediately from the repos...(easier for all the others and new users) Edit: (...and put yours into the repos if it works (better) ;) )

exobuzz

Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:18 am

There is an issue that affects many/most SDL progs

Lots of info here

https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware/issues/354

I will provide some custom sdl debs as soon as I have them built (just automating it now as part of retropie)

but of course in regards to scummvm, it is best to use the dispmanx version I guess as mentioned :)

exobuzz

Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:25 am

I have built some SDL debs including the fixes as mentioned on the thread above. They are available from

http://malus.exotica.org.uk/~buzz/pi/sdl/

Micha1982

Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:10 pm

Cool - but can you please give me a detailed tutorial how to get a working ScummVm from that - for noobs, please? :)

Furthermore, can someone please remove the not-working one from repos please (and preferably add a working one)?

exobuzz

Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:15 pm

well, the easiest way is just to install retropie from an image and you get a fully working scummvm set up ready to copy across your games.

to just install the fixed sdl - go to

http://malus.exotica.org.uk/~buzz/pi/sdl/sdl1/deb/rpi1/

and download the library and dev files (if you want to build stuff)

Code: Select all

wget http://malus.exotica.org.uk/~buzz/pi/sdl/sdl1/deb/rpi1/libsdl1.2debian_1.2.15-8rpi_armhf.deb
wget http://malus.exotica.org.uk/~buzz/pi/sdl/sdl1/deb/rpi1/libsdl1.2-dev_1.2.15-8rpi_armhf.deb
and then install with dpkg

Code: Select all

dpkg -i libsdl1.2debian_1.2.15-8rpi_armhf.deb libsdl1.2-dev_1.2.15-8rpi_armhf.deb

Micha1982

Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:34 pm

exobuzz wrote:well, the easiest way is just to install retropie
Easy to have x sd-cards and to change for every program? Or to create different partitions for everything? No...the easiest way would definately to start it from X, from an icon under raspbian in my opinion ;)

From Terminal would be also a solution - but not as good as from an icon under lxde.

exobuzz

Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:39 pm

if you start it from X you wont have the black screen problem anyway.

Since you asked on how to install it (installing a few debs is quite simple) I had to take a guess at your level of knowledge, and installing a system that has it already fixed ready to go sounded right. The fix was also done as part of retropie. so no need for the sarcasm - obviously having a separate SD card just for scummvm is daft :)

and you can actually install the retropie-setup script on your current raspbian, and just install scummvm if you needed (you will get a newer version that the raspbian one then)

Micha1982

Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:50 pm

exobuzz wrote:if you start it from X you wont have the black screen problem anyway.
Youre right - but no fullscreeen/scaling
exobuzz wrote:Since you asked on how to install it (installing a few debs is quite simple) I had to take a guess at your level of knowledge, and installing a system that has it already fixed ready to go sounded right. The fix was also done as part of retropie. so no need for the sarcasm - obviously having a separate SD card just for scummvm is daft.

and you can actually install the retropie-setup script on your current raspbian, and just install scummvm if you needed.
sorry, maybe I should take a look how to install retropie on raspbian...if that would be possible, it sounds also like a good solution...I thought it is only available as a complete image.

exobuzz

Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:55 pm

compiling vanfanel's scummvm with native dispmanx support is the best option - we will be including that version into retropie at some point also.

retropie can be useful just to install some newer emulators. you don't actually need the entire system - just follow the github instructions, but use menu 5 to install individual emulators from binary or source. they will be installed to /opt/retropie/ . scummvm would be installed to /opt/retropie/emulators/scummvm (binary is /opt/retropie/emulators/scummvm).

Micha1982

Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:20 pm

Ok, ScummVm now is working again - but seems also not to be complete fullscreen...only 3/4...but it works and is larger than on desktop. And I still did not testing a game, only my first usage of gui...

Btw, I could start scumm from terminal without problem...but how to start snes9x for example? ! Installed Emulationstation, too - but it tells me 'no system found' or something like that....is there any Gui where I can start these 2 things from, or did I something wrong with ES? Do I need to configure it anyhow?

Edit:I recognized that I can't start ES through ./emulationstation, only with sudo emu....did something went wrong in my install maybe? I installed these 3 things (snes9x, ScummVM and Emulationstation from menu point 5 (?), chosen from sources and after that choosen the menupoint reboot.

Edit: And can I remove ScummVM which I had installed before Retropie with sudo apt-get remove scummvm - without destroying the Retropie-ScummVM-install?

exobuzz

Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:37 pm

you shouldn't need to run it through sudo - in case you now have a root owned config folder do "sudo rm ~/.emulationstation" and run without sudo. make sure you have something to run in ~/RetroPie/roms/systemname though. it should show up scummvm in the menu by default however.

you can safely remove the raspbian package as the retropie one is installed separately.

Micha1982

Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:35 am

Since ScummVM was not working as it should since years, I was very happy to see that there is a "new" release available in the repository today...was very happy.

It seems at least the stamp-screensize is solved - but why uses it 100% of the cpu now - without starting any game??!
Furthermore the mousepointer jumps around like crazy...I thinks its related to the cpu-usage...but why?

This is unusable.

Why does this nice tool (and others, too...) seem to get no attention on the Raspberry? Is it so hard to get a useable and working version into the repository? Where exactly is the problem? It was fine already years ago on the Pi 1 for a while - so it definately is (was...) possible...
But since then only unusable/defect new versions were released...why?! :(

However, how to get this versions cpu-usage to normal and make it useable like it was on a Pi 1 years ago?

Never understand this really....did the system-requiremments for this changed so dramatically? Does Dr. Jones need GPU-acceleration nowadays?? What is going on here? When I remember correct (its so long ago I sat in front of a working ScummVM on a 700Mhz-single core) even Monkey Island 3 was playable without any speed-problems. So why does the actual version eat all the cpu-power of a Pi 3 without running any game?

Return to “Gaming”