ElectronicsGeek

Minecraft Pi Edition connects to Pocket edition on iOS

Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:20 pm

Today, myself and a friend made a chance discovery. We found out that it is possible to connect a raspberry Pi running Minecraft Pi edition to iOS devices running pocket edition.

All you have to do is run pi edition on your Pi, and tap join server on your iOS device if the two devices are connected to the same wi-fi network.The name of the server operator on the Pi should be StevePi. It is fantastic because it's a really easy way to play with friends, and you can code into the world. For example, I made a quick python script to make a massive wave of water.

I presume that it is possible to do this because pi edition and pocket edition are built on the same framework.

daviewales

Re: Minecraft Pi Edition connects to Pocket edition on iOS

Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:12 am

Does this work for the light version of the Pocket Edition?

malakai

Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:13 am

That is sweet. Do you want to share the wave code :) or any other scripts you come across.

http://mcpipy.wordpress.com/2013/02/16/maze/ this is probably the best Pi Minecraft site currently up would love to see some of your stuff featured there.
http://www.raspians.com - always looking for content feel free to ask to have it posted. Or sign up and message me to become a contributor to the site. Raspians is not affiliated with the Raspberry Pi Foundation. (RPi's + You = Raspians)

ElectronicsGeek

Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:29 am

daviewales:

I'm not sure, but by all means, try it.

malakai:

The wave generator, in comparison to some of the other things I have seen, is a bit of a snippet as opposed to a fully working and useful program. Because I don't actually own a pi (I'm using a friend's), you'll have to wait a bit for the code, so I apologize about that. The next project is an importable module that contains a list of variables. These variables will be constants that give the blocks names, for example:

mc.setBlock(0,0,0,COBBLESTONE)

I will find this quite useful because I don't want to go through pages and pages of Block ID's on the minecraft wiki.

In the python or the gaming section of the forum, I might start a MCPi and Python snippets thread, so people can showcase their useful little snippets of code.

malakai

Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:37 am

That all sounds great and considering I got my Pi's for my sons 12 and 14 who are just still starting out simple easy scripts and minecraft are probably the most motivational tools to keep them going at it on their own I myself would love to make a minecraft / original warcraft script (you have to build x resources before your opponent and then destroy your opponent's resources hopefully some creepers could spawn instead of grunts and gather resources for you :P ) I would prefer my sons did this but it's gonna be a bit for them to get that far into python. But with help of some short scripts they may actually figure this all out. :)
http://www.raspians.com - always looking for content feel free to ask to have it posted. Or sign up and message me to become a contributor to the site. Raspians is not affiliated with the Raspberry Pi Foundation. (RPi's + You = Raspians)

ElectronicsGeek

Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:14 pm

Nice idea, I may have a go at implementing strategy game esque features.

mrpi64

Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:34 pm

sweet! thanks a lot!!!
I'm happy to help.
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=78&t=51794 - List of games that work on the Pi.

calebccff

Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:34 pm

i think that is pretty cool, pi edition & pocket, cuz you could run the server on the pi and have a pocket edition tournemant!!!
:D ;)

Beny564

Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:24 pm

so if you create a survival server on ios can you play in survival mode on the pi

jdonald

Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:15 pm

I can confirm this also works on Android running the old v0.6.1 Pocket Edition apk. That is, the Android Device can connect (join) to the server running Pi Edition.
Beny564 wrote:
Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:24 pm
so if you create a survival server on ios can you play in survival mode on the pi
Not sure about iOS, but flipping the connection direction does not work for Android. If I run the server on the Android device and attempt to join from the Pi, it unfortunately reports Incompatible Server and aborts the connection. In theory someone could patch minecraft-pi to spoof its version and fix this as well, but that would take some investigation.

On the bright side this still enhances Survival Mode on the Pi. With the Survival Mode patch on the server, you can even kill mobs from the Android phone/tablet, while that still isn't possible in the server window without resorting to TNT.

Return to “Gaming”