se99paj

Moonlight & Raspberry Pi Zero

Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:35 am

So I have a spare Raspberry Pi Zero at home from a failed DIY project, I was contemplating reusing this as the frontend for my media center, the frontend would only be used for Kodi (OSMC) and streaming PC games via moonlight.

I've managed to get OSMC installed and working over Wi-Fi - Recordings still need to be tested.
I've also managed to get moonlight installed as well, but the zero is struggling to stream content, I think its the Wi-Fi but wanted to get feedback.

Using Wi-Fi and Xbox controller - Struggles to stream content
Using Wi-Fi and wired mouse - Struggles to stream content, but slightly better than when using an Xbox controller

I've then tried using a wired connection using a Targus USB Hub with Ethernet (http://www.targus.com/uk/usb-3_0-hub-wi ... -ach122euz) - The streaming looks good, but unfortunately none of the USB devices work, I'm assuming the hub isn't compatible with a Pi.

I'm thinking options are:
1.) Buy a supported USB/Ethernet hub, but all the ones I have seen aren't powered
2.) Buy a supported powered USB hub, then try and use Wi-Fi (Not sure this will work)
3.) Buy a powered USB hub and separate USB to Ethernet converter
4.) Try and find a supported USB/Ethernet hub that is powered
5.) I have heard that the Google Chromecast Ethernet Power cable is supported by Raspberry Pi: https://store.google.com/product/ethern ... chromecast

Any feedback/advice would be appreciated

jahboater

Re: Moonlight & Raspberry Pi Zero

Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:58 am

se99paj wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:35 am

5.) I have heard that the Google Chromecast Ethernet Power cable is supported by Raspberry Pi: https://store.google.com/product/ethern ... chromecast

Any feedback/advice would be appreciated
I use this Chromecast ethernet/psu for Pi Zero's. Works very well and is neat and tidy with only one single wire going to the Pi.

se99paj

Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:00 am

That's good news, do you use the 2nd USB port for anything?

I've never quite understood the differences between the two USB ports on a Zero, I've been told 1 is for power and 1 is for data but they both work either way for me. I saw a previous post where the Chromecast PSU would need to go into the data port instead of the power port.

RaTTuS

Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:02 am

The Zero only has one USB data port , the other is power only but you can power via the data port
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

se99paj

Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:16 am

Thanks RaTTuS - I'll have to play around with mine tonight, I've just never noticed a difference.

In any case if I'm using the Chromecast PSU in the data port (For power and network) I'm assuming won't be able to use the 2nd port for something like an Xbox controller, would this be right?

scotty101

Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:44 am

se99paj wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:16 am
In any case if I'm using the Chromecast PSU in the data port (For power and network) I'm assuming won't be able to use the 2nd port for something like an Xbox controller, would this be right?
Correct. The port marked PWR IN will not work with any USB devices. It is power only.
Electronic and Computer Engineer
Pi Interests: Home Automation, IOT, Python and Tkinter

se99paj

Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:48 am

Well that rules out option 5 - Any other suggestions?

Return to “Gaming”