Ger_Pa

Best Distro for Gaming.

Thu May 18, 2017 4:10 pm

Hello which distro is the best one for gaming. Because i'm having a lot of issues with Raspbian Jessie Pixel.
For example if i try to run Tyr-Quake

Code: Select all

VID_InitModeList: checking mode 0: 800x600, SDL_PIXELFORMAT_RGB888
* failed to add service - already in use?
Minecraft and Eduke32

* failed to add service - already in use?
This happens with the Experimental GL Drivers either with the Full KMS or the Fake KMS. With legacy i get

VID_SetMode: Unable to create renderer: Could't find matching driver
So far this is i what i did:
1)Sudo APT-GET Upgrade and rpi-update
2)Memory split set to 192
3)Updated SLD2 to 2.0.5

But no matter what, i keep getting those errors. I tried a friend sd with the stock retropie img and everything works fine. So i guess that my Pi 3b is not to blame.
Is there any distro like Raspbian but with a more friendly approach to games?

runboy93

Re: Best Distro for Gaming.

Thu May 18, 2017 5:07 pm

I usually use 256MB split, but even 128MB should be enough, format card and try with fresh and update everything.

Don't bother buy too micro sd cards, could be fake ones.
Aluminum case for Raspberry Pi 3
https://goo.gl/3QRuVw

RPi 3 tweaks by runboy93
https://goo.gl/o8grny

welshy

Fri May 19, 2017 6:22 am

Interpreting what your saying a friends SD Card Image worked fine on your Pi but the SD Card your using doesn't? That certainly sounds Card related as you have surmised. I always try and stick to 'Make' brands like SanDisc as they are more robust/reliable for constant re-flashing of the SD Card which does, if fact, have a limit on such actions*. As suggested re-flash the OS and start from the beginning or buy a newer, better make and don't forget, it should be a fast read/write option, Class 10 Card.

* I recently had an issue with a 'Spare' PNY SD Card, it wont read/write anymore!

In regards to Distro's Raspbian is the best for gaming. Its a 'Fork' of Debian which is one of the most widely used Linux Disto's; Mint, Ubuntu and many others are based on it so offers more Options for Gaming on the Pi. For instance, all bar one SD Card Images (e.g. RetroPie) are built on it. The only exception is Neil Munday's Pi Entertainment System (PES) which is ARCH Linux based.

Emulation on the RPI Thread Link - viewtopic.php?f=78&t=54357
"The list of things I have heard now contains everything!"

Ger_Pa

Fri May 19, 2017 6:37 pm

welshy wrote:Interpreting what your saying a friends SD Card Image worked fine on your Pi but the SD Card your using doesn't?
Sorry my mistake( english is not my native tongue).
My sd card works just fine, it's a sandisk that bought from a official sandisk store. In that sd, i have jessie and i have the issues from my first post. I have a friend who owns a PI3b, he use the Pi3b as a mini arcade, i borrowed his sd card and games that refuse to work in my jessie works like charm on his retropie.

So far i was able to find a workaround for Eduke32, i got the source and compiled them using

make USE_OPENGL=0 NOASM=1 LINKED_GTK=0  USE_LIBPNG=0 SDL_TARGET=1  OPTLEVEL=0 
So i had to disable OpenGL and use SDL1 instead of 2. Now it works at 60fps but in software mode.

I still have issues with quake ports, it doesn't matter what i do, they keep using OpenGl

[GL_VENDOR: VMware, Inc.
GL_RENDERER: Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 3.9, 128 bits)
GL_VERSION: 3.0 Mesa 13.0.0
/code]

Thanks for the link, it's quite useful, since i'm also trying to get some emulators on my pi3b

welshy

Sat May 20, 2017 8:48 am

It looks like OpenGL is the issue which doesn't work on the Pi. The programs need to be OpenGLES or SDL. OpenGLES is the better Option which prevents 'Tearing' of textures/scrolling (or SDL2.0). Unless you prefer writing lots of scripts for different Emulators in an image (my preferred Method to Squeeze every last drop of performance) I would try/recommend RetroPie.

No problem for the Link, as you may have ascertained, I write it! lol

bensimmo

Sat May 20, 2017 9:42 am

If RetroPie is working why not use that distribution.

Do you need to run rpi-update? It's not the normal thing to do unless you are testing things with the RPi development team.

Also if your friends is working, just PiClone that image from them.
Raspian is there in the background.

Ger_Pa

Sun May 21, 2017 7:31 am

RetroPie works just great, even, we were able to finish the dreamcast version of Resident Evil Code Veronica. It's amazing that the Pi3 b can emulate the Dreamcast at playable speed.
But i also want a desktop, i want to duplicate the look of win 98 (Shame on me :oops: ) Plus sometimes i have more fun trying to see why something is not working than playing with it.

Got quake2 working and i'm getting closer to the win98 clone.

For Doom, prboom works just fine. Compiled Chocalate-Doom. It works great on CLI, but refuse to work on desktop.

bensimmo

Sun May 21, 2017 7:53 am

No shame when you are in the retro world.
Win98 is just as retro.
Late 90s obviously :lol:

runboy93

Sun May 21, 2017 9:05 am

Ger_Pa wrote:RetroPie works just great, even, we were able to finish the dreamcast version of Resident Evil Code Veronica. It's amazing that the Pi3 b can emulate the Dreamcast at playable speed.
But i also want a desktop, i want to duplicate the look of win 98 (Shame on me :oops: ) Plus sometimes i have more fun trying to see why something is not working than playing with it.

For Doom, prboom works just fine. Compiled Chocalate-Doom. It works great on CLI, but refuse to work on desktop.
You have RPi 3? How you got Quake 2 working?
Aluminum case for Raspberry Pi 3
https://goo.gl/3QRuVw

RPi 3 tweaks by runboy93
https://goo.gl/o8grny

welshy

Sun May 21, 2017 6:13 pm

Ger_Pa wrote:RetroPie works just great, even, we were able to finish the dreamcast version of Resident Evil Code Veronica. It's amazing that the Pi3 b can emulate the Dreamcast at playable speed.

You could always add Pixel Desktop to RetroPie. If you downloaded their zip its removed for size issues. Or build your own with custom version the Set-up script, you can add elements singularly.
Link - https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Setup

Ger_Pa

Sun May 21, 2017 6:13 pm

Yquake2 compiles just fine, plays slow with the legacy driver, play at full speed with open gl drivers at 800x600. Slow downs a bit with 1024x768 and higher.
what kind of issue you have?
welshy wrote: You could always add Pixel Desktop to RetroPie. If you downloaded their zip its removed for size issues. Or build your own with custom version the Set-up script, you can add elements singularly.
Link - https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Setup
I think that's going to do what i want. I can set it, so it boot to pixel instead of emulationstation.

welshy

Sun May 21, 2017 6:31 pm

Personally I would start with a stock Raspbian Image, download and use the retropie_setup.sh script . You can then add just the elements you require from RetroPie.

Return to “Gaming”