simplesi

Howto improve Scratch Performance

Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:32 pm

This thread was created to provide direct links to the known improvements that can be made to the the default Scratch implementation that comes with the default Raspberry_Pi Raspbian images.

These modifications are not official in any way whatsoever but a number of us RPi old-timers (e.g had one for 6 months :) ) have put together a few improvements that can REALLY speed up and reduce crashes using Scratch on the RPi.

http://elinux.org/Scratch_on_RPi

This info was started to be put together on 4th Jan 2013 so if you are reading this on 5th Jan 2013, don't expect a fully tested and comprehensive experience :)
[edit: fixed date]
Seeking help with Scratch and I/O stuff for Primary age children
http://cymplecy.wordpress.com/ @cymplecy on twitter

croston

Re: Howto improve Scratch Performance

Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:01 pm

It is 2013 now ! :mrgreen:

simplesi

Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:39 pm

Damm :lol: Too late to edit it now - maybe a friendly mod will come along an do it for me.

Happy New Year Ben :)

Simon

robindmorris

Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:52 pm

Simplesi - can you post a link (or send me a link) to your modified scratch image? My 7 year old is rapidly losing interest with a scratch that hangs and loses his work...

Thanks

Robin
robin dot morris at gmail dot com

simplesi

Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:36 am

If you follow the link at the top of the thread - you'll find links to all known current tweaks.

http://elinux.org/Scratch_on_RPi

If your getting hangs then your probably using sound so I'd recommend trying the sound fix first

regards
Simon

DavidS

Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:42 pm

Huh. There is scratch on Linux?
While I have been writing programs in may languages for 29 years I just this week got interested in learning Scratch thanks to the improvements currently being made on the RISC OS version and the backing hat the Raspberry Pi foundation eems to be giving Schatch. I have read about Scratch many many times, though always related to RISC OS, or Mac OS (though more with RISC OS). As such I had no idea that some one had ported it to Linux. Cool for those that do not like RISC OS, I guess you now have Scratch.
RPi = The best ARM based RISC OS computer around
More than 95% of posts made from RISC OS on RPi 1B/1B+ computers. Most of the rest from RISC OS on RPi 2B/3B/3B+ computers

ghans

Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:51 pm

That explains your response in the Screensaver thread ... :D
Did you hear : Scratch 2.0 is going to be based on Flash ?!
Some Forum mebers already started a C port ...

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

trazer

Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:52 pm

The sound fix is the one I need, but it appears that this fix will not help analog output, only hdmi if I read the thread correctly. I need analog fixed if possible.

I wish that there was an image out there that I could just download with working scratch + analog sound. That is literally all I want to work on my pi right now and I cannot make it work to save my life lol!

simplesi

Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:49 pm

@trazer - I feel your pain :(

Scratch 2.0 (Web/Flash based) is where the Scratch team are currently beavering away on.

Old Scratch 1.4 (the one we love) is yesterdays software.

The Linux version has always been a bit of a side project.

The RPi versions are even more so :(

I'm lucky - I use Scratch in schools all the time but I do it on netbooks or desktop PCs where it works fine.

When I'm using Scratch on the RPi, I'm using it to control the GPIO for robots etc - I don't need to use sound and so with the variable display and keyboard stickyness issues bypassed, I'm good to go :)

There is (vague as to timescales) talk about an educational push that (probably/might/should) improve Scratch on the RPi but to my mind, if you want to introduce Scratch to kids - use a grown-up computer.

But if you want to do some real-world interfacing (one person wrote a real firework display controller in Scratch!) and want to use Scratch's fantastic ability/learning curve value - then its already here and raring to go :)

regards

Simon

timrowledge

Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:09 pm

The current version of scratch is written in Squeak which means it can run on almost every computer ever made. Although not every version is actively supported right now, aside from The Big Four - linux, windows, mac & RISC OS, there have been working squeaks on DOS, OS/2, BeOS, MediaWireOS, several bare-metal SBCs, iOS, BSD, and I think even IBM mainframe.

Rewriting scratch in Flash seems a ridiculous thing to do to me. *Every* project of which I've had personal experience where an original was created in a Smalltalk and then 'ported to a more advanced language' (i.e. one favoured by a new CIO, typically) has become a disaster. In one case a Large Company declared this intent, five years later still had no nice new java version, changed to redoing in some other language, ten years later had to admit that they still relied on Smalltalk.

And anyway, AIUI Adobe decided to drop Flash at least as a mobile platform. That's going to cause some issues.
Making Smalltalk on ARM since 1986; making your Scratch better since 2012

asb
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:43 am

I've imported both changesets in to an updated Scratch.image in a new .deb for our Debian armel and Raspbian releases. Please try it out: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 77&t=32056

Return to “Scratch”