bensimmo

Scratch 3

Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:09 am

Has anyone else had a look at Scratch 3.
It's in preview and seems to be ok on the PC.

It doesn't work on a mobile size device (GUI is just a mess) for me.

Tried it on the Pi and things don't look good so far.
Layout is fine, but it brings it to a crawl and gives up before you even do anything.

(This is a new Stretch image, up to date).

Hopefully they get it working, but given it been in development for a long time, I thought it maybe work a bit better

preview.scratch.mit.edu

Perhaps it just too demanding for a Pi3.:-(

mikerr

Re: Scratch 3

Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:07 pm

Tried it on a PI3 (stretch, updated) in chromium and the CPU is pegged at 97% even while just idle /dragging blocks.

Sluggish, but usable for making a test script.

Big problem is the stage doesn't show - but the script is running as I can see the sprite x/y values changing.

Pi3 under firefox-esr the stage does show and it all works but seems prone to freezing when dragging blocks

Still, it is only a preview.

https://preview.scratch.mit.edu
Android app - Raspi Card Imager - download and image SD cards - No PC required !

BooleanG

Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:50 pm

Does anyone know if there are plans to port the offline version to the PI? We use Pi's in classrooms without the internet for a variety of reason (security and availability included). We do a number of Scratch GPIO projects so this is of great interest.

hippy

Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:31 pm

BooleanG wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:50 pm
Does anyone know if there are plans to port the offline version to the PI?
I don't think they have said much except an off-line editor is planned. Whether it gets ported to a Pi I would presume rests on how the non-Pi version is implemented. Given Scratch 3 seems to be Javascript plus HTML5, if it runs on-line on a PI, I cannot imagine off-line could not be ported to a Pi.

It may be worth asking MIT what their plans are as they would probably know more than anyone here -

https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/topic/291695

Added: 10th April 2018, "We haven't started on the offline editor yet"

Return to “Scratch”