timrowledge

Re: New Scratch things for Raspbian September 2016

Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:11 pm

Well first things first - re-awakening a year old zombie thread is not the smartest thing to do. Sometimes they get all feisty and try to chew your face off.

Depending on exactly what you are trying to do you have several options.

If you are running Scratch2 - the Flash based abomination in the eyes of Nuggan accessible on your Pi main menu as 'Scratch2' - then you will have to read up on using the external interface. I dare say GHP can help here.

If you are running the older but faster NuScratch (accessible from the same menu as 'Scratch') then you may have more options. I didn't include sensors like the DHT series in the built-in gpio server because nobody seemed to want it at that time. GHP almost certanly has it in his system that works with NuScratch and quite possibly SimpleSi's ScratchGPIO system will handle it.

If you're really serious about using it an other sensors and want support adding to NuScratch, feel free to offer some financial support for the work and it shall be done.
Making Smalltalk on ARM since 1986; making your Scratch better since 2012

ghp

Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:40 pm

Hello,
I have since long time a DHT11, DHT22 connection to scratch using an atmel328 as a slave processor. http://heppg.de/ikg/wordpress/?p=430
And since short time there is an adapter using pigpiod software.

scratchClient supports both scratch1.4 and scratchx, the extension enabled version of scratch2.

Hope this helps,
Gerhard

teddysetgo

Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:13 pm

Tim,

It seems as though this bug has returned.

For the new school year, I reimaged all of the SD cards for my students' Pi's. I ran the usual update/upgrade.

I was surprised to find the Key Press bug back in Scratch two years later. I opened the squeak script, but the line of code I used to comment out to fix this was already commented out.

Everything is fine on MY Pi, which hasn't been imaged in over a year.

Either way, both systems seem to be running 2016-12-12.

Any thoughts on why this might happen or how I can fix it? I can tell you that it drives students crazy! Ha.

Teddy

timrowledge

Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:48 pm

Well nothing has been changed in the nuscratch world of course since the insanity of allowing Flash on the Pi. That only really leaves some sort of OS release build problems or an OS change that messes up key events. Neither is a very nice idea.

If you are brave enough, rename the image file (probably something like/usr/lib/nuscratch/something-or-other.im) and then copy over the version on your older system. If that doesn’t work then there’s some tedious debugging to do. Sigh.

teddysetgo

Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:44 pm

First, Flash on Pi makes me sad. Let's not talk about it.

Second, is there any chance you could walk me through that a little bit. When I look in usr/lib/ on my Pi, I don't see nuscratch. So I'm not exactly sure what I'm renaming, what I'm copying, and where I'm copying it to. I really do appreciate any help. As you can imagine, a keypress bug is awful for kids trying to make their first video games with Scratch.

timrowledge

Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:08 pm

OK, first, I can't see any evidence of the bug and indeed nor can several other people that have tested for me. So that's a bit odd.

The main shell script to start Scratch 1.4 /NuScratch is '/usr/bin/scratch'. 7 or 8 lines down you should see

Code: Select all

IMAGE=`ls -t /usr/share/scratch/NuScratch*.image| head -1`
which is expected to find the newest version of a file named like NuScratchYYYYMMDD.image - it ought to basically only see NuScratch20161212.image in any faintly recent Raspbian release.
Obviously from this we can see that you should have /usr/share/scratch/NuScratch20171212.image in order for it to run. You could check that the file sizes on the new and old systems you have are the same, do whatever linux checksum magic you can think of etc to compare them. Maybe zip up the 'working version, backup the 'broken' one, copy as appropriate & unzip and try it all again.

The VM should be /usr/lib/squeak/5.0-201610101924 - in that directory you should see an executable named 'squeak' (I know, so original) size 6316400 bytes, dated 2016/11/03.

teddysetgo

Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:16 pm

Based on all of this, it would appear that everything is identical. Very strange.

The bug is most certainly there are. On many machines. All running the latest Raspbian install from Noobs. This is the exact same bug that I had two years ago which you graciously helped me to fix.

I suppose I'll have to keep digging.

Thanks for the help.

timrowledge

Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:44 am

Here's a bizarre and (to me) unlikely possibility - has NOOBS managed to install an old release by mistake?

... I said it was bizarre.

Return to “Scratch”