Matt_Raj

How to install Scratch2.0 on Raspberry pi

Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:14 pm

Hi All,

How do you install Scratch 2.0 ( or update scratch 1.4 ) on a raspberry pi ?

I have a Pi running Raspbian

Thanks!
-Matt

fruitoftheloom

Re: How to install Scratch2.0 on Raspberry pi

Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:05 am

Matt_Raj wrote:Hi All,

Thanks!
-Matt
Scratch 2.0 requires Adobe Flash Player which is not natively available in Raspbian, so version 2 is useless..

Updating. Raspbian can take an hour or so depending on when last updated, this will include NuSratch etcetera, may also be a large download so ensure you have space on SD Card:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
sudo reboot
https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/a-new- ... dded-gpio/
My only "PC" is an Asus ChromeBit running ChromeOS, cloudcentric at its best !
Rockchip Quad-Core RK3288C SoC as used in ASUS Chromebook C201 & Chromebook Flip C100PA as well as the Tinker SBC

timrowledge

Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:09 pm

Actual MIT Scratch 2.0 cannot run on a Pi since it is a Flash thingy. Flash does not ... well, it just doesn't.

The latest Pi release of Scratch is 1.4-2016-10-15 and if you update to the latest Raspbian Jessie it is include automatically. If you don't want to download the full latest Jessie image file you could try

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
which, on my machines at least, upgrades Scratch from 1.4-2015-11-11 (at least I think that's what it was) successfully. If you are still using Wheezy this probably won't work but I'm no expert at using apt-get. It has been claimed that

should work.
Making Smalltalk on ARM since 1986; making your Scratch better since 2012

fruitoftheloom

Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:30 pm

timrowledge wrote:Actual MIT Scratch 2.0 cannot run on a Pi since it is a Flash thingy. Flash does not ... well, it just doesn't.

The latest Pi release of Scratch is 1.4-2016-10-15 and if you update to the latest Raspbian Jessie it is include automatically. If you don't want to download the full latest Jessie image file you could try

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
which, on my machines at least, upgrades Scratch from 1.4-2015-11-11 (at least I think that's what it was) successfully. If you are still using Wheezy this probably won't work but I'm no expert at using apt-get. It has been claimed that

should work.
Thanks for confirming what I posted yesterday :?
My only "PC" is an Asus ChromeBit running ChromeOS, cloudcentric at its best !
Rockchip Quad-Core RK3288C SoC as used in ASUS Chromebook C201 & Chromebook Flip C100PA as well as the Tinker SBC

mattmiller

Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:04 pm

There is a Scratch mod called Whiskers which might be good enough for you.

https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/topic/157672/?page=1

Its still in development from what I've seen but looks to have great potential as a Scratch 2 lookalike for the Pi

Matthew

Matt_Raj

Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:15 am

timrowledge wrote:Actual MIT Scratch 2.0 cannot run on a Pi since it is a Flash thingy. Flash does not ... well, it just doesn't.

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

should work.
Thanks! I will try this and revert back ( I want to update scratch since a critical feature that I want to use isn't available in the old version

Matt_Raj

Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:16 am

mattmiller wrote:There is a Scratch mod called Whiskers which might be good enough for you.

https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/topic/157672/?page=1

Its still in development from what I've seen but looks to have great potential as a Scratch 2 lookalike for the Pi

Matthew
Thanks Matt! I will try all the options one a time to find which one clicks !

Matt_Raj

Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:17 am

fruitoftheloom wrote:
Matt_Raj wrote:Hi All,

Thanks!
-Matt
Scratch 2.0 requires Adobe Flash Player which is not natively available in Raspbian, so version 2 is useless..

Updating. Raspbian can take an hour or so depending on when last updated, this will include NuSratch etcetera, may also be a large download so ensure you have space on SD Card:

sudo apt-get update
sudo reboot
https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/a-new- ... dded-gpio/
Thank You for your input! I will try and get back to you

bertsierra

Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:21 am

As an update to this thread, an offline Scratch 2 editor is now available for Raspberry Pi 2 or 3 systems. This doesn’t depend on Chromium and you don’t need to be Internet connected to run it, either. I believe it requires an ARM7 processor or better; it will fail with a segmentation fault if you run it on ARM6-based boards. I noticed that it was pre-installed with the Raspbian 4.9 Jessie 2017-09-07 release you can download from RaspberryPi.org, but it was super easy to install via the following steps.

First, as recommended above, make sure your apps, libraries, and distribution are fully up to date. The reboot is needed if the distribution upgrade updates anything.

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo reboot
Then, to install Scratch 2, just type the following. It will increase your system size by about 143MB:

sudo apt-get install scratch2
You’ll see that Scratch 1.4 and Scratch 2 are both installed and available in the Programming menu. Alternatively you can launch Scratch 1.4 as ‘scratch’ in a Terminal window or script, and Scratch 2 as ‘scratch2’ instead. Scratch 1.4 will only load .sb files. Scratch 2.0 will be able to read the older .sb files or the newer .sb2 files it creates. The offline Scratch 2 editor can access GPIO pins whereas the Chromium-based online extension cannot.

Here’s an article dated June 27, 2017 which talks about Scratch 2 offline editor release in more detail, including the GPIO capabilities:
https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/scratc ... pberry-pi/

Return to “Scratch”