abee

Re: Sept 2015 Scratch release

Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:37 pm

Hi,
My friend found a funny bug.
I can drop blocks to the menu bar.
dropEnabled of menuPanel of aScratchFrameMorph is true.
It should set false in ScratchFrameMorph>>createMenuPanel.
Thank you.

Kazuhiro Abe

timrowledge

Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:54 pm

abee wrote:Hi,
My friend found a funny bug.
I can drop blocks to the menu bar.
Cool! I didn't know you could do that. There must be some way we can claim this is a big new feature, right? :lol:
Making Smalltalk on ARM since 1986; making your Scratch better since 2012

EuanM

Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:43 am

Is there a Squeak 5 download for the Raspberry Pi available yet?

timrowledge

Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:05 pm

EuanM wrote:Is there a Squeak 5 download for the Raspberry Pi available yet?
Oh absolutely. The Pi is a fully paid up member of the Official Squeak All-In-One club.

You can load it up in two ways -

a) The simple to try it out way
Go to http://www.squeak.org and click on the big blue download button near the top-right. This will fetch the All-In-One bundle, currently "Squeak-5.0-All-in-One.zip". Unzip it and you will find a directory called (inventively) "Squeak-5.0-All-in-One" and a "squeak.bat" and "squeak.sh"Obviously the .bat is for Windows so you can toss it. The file that is. Though tossing Windows isn't a terrible idea. If you run that .sh script it will start up a default Squeak 5.0 system. My recommendation is and always has been to immediately save a new copy of the system image by clicking on the mouse logo top-left and choosing 'Save As..' - that way you leave the default nice and clean to go back to if/when you mess things up. A quick look at the script will clue you in about how to start up your own saved image.

b) The Better way
Since Scratch uses the latest Squeak 5.0 VM, you'll quickly realise that the VM must already be installed (assuming you're on a Jessie Pi). So you can actually do some of a) above and do a bit of spelunking to extract the relevant files from the All-In-One bundle.
If you look inside the "Squeak-5.0-All-in-One" directory there is another directory called 'Contents' and inside that is 'Resources" (this is all to suit the Mac OS application bundling rules) where you will finally see "Squeak5.0-15113.image", "Squeak5.0-15113.changes" and "SqueakV50.sources". Copy those three to your favoured working directory.
To run this you can now do

Code: Select all

scratch --image Squeak5.0-15113.image
and the system will fire up. Again, I urge using 'Save As...' immediately and thereafter using

Code: Select all

scratch --image mySaved.image
as appropriate.
Why 'scratch'? Well you could use 'squeak mySaved.image' (without the --image) but the 'scratch' script adds a sudo -E so that users of xrdp etc don't get bitten by the stupid user permissions fudge involved.
Why is this 'better'? - because the VM is part of the system means that it will get updated with normal apt-get etc. Development is rapid so things get better and faster fairly often.

Now, for those unfamiliar with Squeak there is quite a bit to learn, or more likely un-learn. We don't save our code in dead text files. We don't "run the compiler and create an executable". We have tools that allow finding the users and implementors of code, track versions, save code units to archive databases etc. You do some work, save your image and then restart it sometime later with everything just as you left it - even if you were in the middle of debugging. Even if you copy the image & matching changes file to a different machine. Even a different type of machine. For example I did a great deal of Scratch development work on Squeak running on my iMac, then copy the file(s) across to a Pi and fire it up. Squeak is completely portable across ARM lines, Mac OS, Windows, x86 lines, various other x86 unices, and has less-supported versions on RISC OS, ancient Windowses, OS/2, other non-x86 machines, assorted custom bare-metal systems etc. It's even in some satellites. Take a look around http://www.squeak.org, get lost in the dizzying hallways of the wiki, join the mailing list and join in!
Making Smalltalk on ARM since 1986; making your Scratch better since 2012

EuanM

Sat Nov 07, 2015 7:47 am

I'm very impressed with the speed!

Return to “Scratch”