Chief1981

Raspberry Pi 4 and Scratch 2

Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:31 pm

Hi

I have a new raspberry pi 4 for my son. When we click on the upload background button in Scratch 2 we get the file manager box pop up but we can’t click on anything. It’s as if the screen has frozen but you can move the mouse pointer around the screen. You can’t even click on the menus at the top to restart the raspberry pi. The only way I can get it to anything is to reboot. I’ve tried uploading a new raspbian image of the most up to date operating system from the raspberry pi website onto a new SD card. But the most up to date OS and Scratch 2 seems to the same thing. Can anyone advise as to what is going on and how I can fix it?

I brought the raspberry pi for my 9year old son to start coding but we are off to a bumpy start!

Thanks.

ghp

Re: Raspberry Pi 4 and Scratch 2

Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:14 pm

Hello, had similiar problems here. Happens here on pi4, scratch2 both when uploading file for a sprite or stage background 'backdrop'.
Selection menu opens, pi seems to be frozen in the menu.

A ssh-connection to the pi is still working. "top" shows low cpu usage. "killall electron" stops scratch2.

Experimented with key combinations to switch away from scratch2 in this situation. ESC seems to work, terminating the selection menu. In second try, the "open"-method then works. Not a solution, but a workaround. Could you confirm that this works also on your machine ?

timrowledge

Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:43 pm

Just out of interest because I don’t have a pi4 yet, does my ‘original ‘ Scratch run ok? It should but proof is always good.
Making Smalltalk on ARM since 1986; making your Scratch better since 2012

ghp

Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:25 am

Return to “Scratch”