rogermm

Scratch 1.4 audio lock-up after raspbian update && upgrade

Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:18 am

Hi

We are using using Scratch 1.4 (NuScratch) in a community tech centre in South Africa.

We recently performed a raspbian update/upgrade (install from - NOOBS_v3_0_0 November 2018) :
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

The update has broken Scratch 1.4 projects. The issue appears to be related to audio. Projects were thoroughly tested and used prior to the update, and exhibited none of the current issues.

We have observed the following:
a.) projects run fine initially and output audio is expected
b.) at different points in different games the audio becomes locked up and stops playing
c.) the script running the audio file at the time maintains a white border, indicating it is still active (when it should have returned)
d.) once the audio becomes locked up, clicking play on a sound file in the sound pallet doesn't output the file; the play time goes to 0.00.00 and stays there; the time remains white (doesn't change back to black to indicate completion)
e.) other scripts not using audio appear to work fine after an audio lock up
f.) performing a clean install of the original NOOBS_v3_0_0 November 2018 release solves the problem.
g.) the issue was found on all the updated Pi.

Can anyone help?

Many thanks

timrowledge

Re: Scratch 1.4 audio lock-up after raspbian update && upgrade

Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:04 pm

I've racked my brain trying to work out what might be happening here but had no success. The fact that reinstalling 'fixes' it adds confusion.
NuScratch does absolutely nothing strange with sounds; it uses ALSA for sound output through the normal device criving api for unix. ALSA does have a bit of a history of making life painful though; maybe they've broken it again?
I'll try digging some more...
Making Smalltalk on ARM since 1986; making your Scratch better since 2012

rogermm

Re: Scratch 1.4 audio lock-up after raspbian update && upgrade

Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:54 am

Great, really appreciate your efforts! 1.4 (NuScratch) fits our needs perfectly, and we definitely want to stick with it going into the future.

Return to “Scratch”