hp4

Update problems with archlinuxarm

Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:19 am

Hi,
I've downloaded the actual archlinuxarm from raspberrypi-homepage.
After the first startup I tried to update the system, but it seems to be not possible due to major changes in archlinuxarm, i.e. the update of package filesystem.

None of the proposals in the archlinuxarm forum seems to work for raspberry pi, e.g.

pacman -Syu --ignore filesystem

is not possible, since the missing filesystem prevents update of glibc and therefore nearly all other updates.

Does anybody know how to update with pacman from the official raspberry-pi-distribution ??

BR
HP

mmi

Re: Update problems with archlinuxarm

Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:27 am

Do (in this order) and don't logout until all has been finished:

Code: Select all

pacman -Syu --ignore filesystem,bash
pacman -S bash
pacman -Su
Probably "pacman -Su" (the 3rd step) will not run because there are files left in /sbin, /bin, etc. (pacman will tell you). Look in these directories and find out to which pkg the remaining files belong. Delete these packages and after that also the empty directories.
"pacman -Su" should run now and if needed you can install the deleted packages again.

Hope this helps ;)

hp4

Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:19 pm

mmi wrote:Do (in this order) and don't logout until all has been finished:

Code: Select all

pacman -Syu --ignore filesystem,bash
Hope this helps ;)
Thanks for your answer. Just to clarify:
if the first command complains about not being able to update most of the packages (because they depend on glibc which can't be updated without filesystem), should I continue anyway ?
BR
HP

mmi

Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:48 pm

The first and second command run fine here (on several machines/RPi's).

Didn't you update for a long time? I think it's better you look (and ask) in the archlinux.org forums because this update currently affects *all* arch builds, not only the Pi.

Good luck! ;)

hp4

Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:44 pm

Hi mmi,
mmi wrote:The first and second command run fine here (on several machines/RPi's).
See attached output of the first command: lots of packages depend on filesystem via glibc-> maybe a deadlock because update of filesystem depends on updates of many other packages ???

sorry, this webpage does not allow me to attach a file (the extension is not allowed) for extension log/txt/none ?!

So I'll try to cut and paste the output at the end of this message

mmi wrote: Didn't you update for a long time?
I've never done an update because I started from scratch with the current download from the Pi homepage. Maybe the download is simply to old and it only works, if you have access to intermediate older updates?
mmi wrote:
I think it's better you look (and ask) in the archlinux.org forums because this update currently affects *all* arch builds, not only the Pi.
I've followed the recommendations of archlinux.org several times and always ended with a crash and had to start from scratch again.

Your hint not to log until all commands have executed successfully seems to be very valuable and important!!! At intermediate points during the update you will loose your bash-shell (/bin/bash not found and therefore execv-problems in update scripts) or you will loose the possibility to login because authentication-libraries become unloadable due to missing externals (glibc?)

For these reasons I cannot recommend to continue a pacman command if it issues any warning.

My impression: the upgrade works for people who took part in the stepwise upgrades during the past month, but for people starting from scratch (Pi-download) there is no working solution, maybe the package-gap is to big or in the meantime cross dependencies developed in the package-gap.

Thanks for your help, I'll keep on trying....

BR
HP
output of the first command:
=====================
:: Starting full system upgrade...
warning: bash: ignoring package upgrade (4.2.042-3 => 4.2.045-4)
warning: filesystem: ignoring package upgrade (2012.12-1 => 2013.05-2)
resolving dependencies...
warning: ignoring package filesystem-2013.05-2
warning: cannot resolve "filesystem>=2013.01", a dependency of "glibc"
warning: ignoring package filesystem-2013.05-2
warning: cannot resolve "filesystem>=2013.01", a dependency of "glibc"
:: The following packages cannot be upgraded due to unresolvable dependencies:
binutils bridge-utils ca-certificates coreutils cracklib cronie cryptsetup curl dash dbus
device-mapper dhcpcd dialog diffutils dirmngr dosfstools e2fsprogs expat file fuse gawk
gcc-libs gettext glib2 glibc gmp gnupg gpgme groff inetutils iproute2 iptables iputils
jfsutils kbd keyutils kmod krb5 less libarchive libassuan libcap libedit libffi libgcrypt
libgpg-error libidn libksba libldap libnl libpcap libpipeline libsasl libusbx
linux-raspberrypi logrotate lvm2 man-db mdadm mkinitcpio ncurses net-tools ntfs-3g openntpd
openssh openssl pacman pam parted pciutils pcre perl pinentry popt ppp procps-ng psmisc
reiserfsprogs rng-tools shadow syslog-ng systemd systemd-sysvcompat sysvinit-tools tar texinfo
util-linux wpa_actiond wpa_supplicant xfsprogs zlib

mmi

Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:54 pm

hp4 wrote: Your hint not to log until all commands have executed successfully seems to be very valuable and important!!!
That's indeed very important.

Keep in eyes that this update "moves" all contents of /sbin, /bin, /usr/sbin to /usr/bin and changes these directories to symbolic links:
/bin -> usr/bin
/sbin -> usr/bin
/usr/sbin -> bin
No leading '/' in the targets.

In principal it's simple. Maybe it helps if you do this manually now because your update has run to the point where most has been moved to /usr/bin.

Regards, mmi.

hp4

Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:11 pm

Hi mmi,

due to your remark "Didn't you update for a long time?" I checked again the Pi-homepage and found a new release!

- after receiving my new Pi-board about 2 weeks ago I had started the download on May 26 and it was a version from February 11 !!

- within the last 2 weeks the homepage obviously has been updated with a
May-14-release. I think someone should have noted this important update on the front page.

And now your procedure works!!!!!

Obviously pacman is not able to perform these critical updates on older releases!

Thank you very much for your help and I'd like to apologize for not checking the download area more often.

BR
HP

mmi

Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:29 am

Hi hp,

nice to hear that you've been successful now.
I know that a fresh arch install can sometimes be a little bit tricky but if it's running it runs forever ;)
In future don't forget to watch the RPi section of "archlinuxarm.org", there are the people who take care of the latest ARM releases and packages.

Have fun,
BR
mmi

Return to “Deutsch”