Warg

Re: Porting Android

Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:40 am

fodi wrote:i'd say a recovery mode would be useful for flashing zip files and therefore injecting components easily into /system (even if it can be reached only from terminal)
Well, /system is reachable anyway, if you're on Windows all you need is a virtualized Linux-environment and if you're on any other OS it's easily reachable. There's also adb which can push files into /system (unsure if the init.rc in the linked image lets you do that though, also not sure if that image lets you adb over the network...)

jackd

Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:03 pm

Ok, I understand, I think. Part of the Broadcom binary blobs is libegl, and hence we can't recompile. We'd need someone at Broadcom, like Eben, to do that. As far as the cm7 framebuffer not being an issue, are you sure? I ran the cm7 earlier, and it pretty much ended on a framebuffer issue. I didn't crash, but never got to the android screen either. All I got was big black 640x480 black gui screen (vt7), and on the console screen (vt1) an init loop with four framebuffer lines repeating over and over.

I'll have to bring it back up and try again. This is based off the cm7 img file on the wiki. Right now I'm going to load the cm9 image and try it. Later (like tonight after work), I'll pull up my 64bit dev environment, load the entire android dev environment on it and try building from source. Sadly, my 64 bit dev environment is the other half-brain of my production 32-bit dev corporate production box, so they can't run simultaneously. Although, I might be able to offload the build to the webserver or DR box. It'd be all CLI work, but might work, and a lot more power than I have here.

As far as coding, it's what I do. I've not messed with building Linux drivers and not done really any Linux coding to speak of. But, I do know a bit about it, so I *may* be able to help on that front.

Warg

Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:09 pm

jackd; if you can (and aren't already) drop by the irc channel so we can get realtime updates on any eventual progress. :)

jackd

Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:21 pm

cm9 loads, very fast, and comes up to the Android lock screen at 1280x768 (on a set top HDTV). The mouse leaves mouse trails, and the gui promptly stops, no access to vt1 to see messages. This set up was running off a 5200mAH RAVPower power bank. very slick to see the pi running untethered. Battery came in yesterday. I'm building tablets with our Pis. output on the RAVPower is 5.3V/1A (not relevant to this thread, but thought I should include it for compatible accessory reasons).

CrysisLTU

Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:44 pm

Here's a video of CM7.2 (Android 2.3) in action: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paUgfXKDt7I

aaa801

Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:33 pm

CrysisLTU wrote:Here's a video of CM7.2 (Android 2.3) in action: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paUgfXKDt7I
Well i have to say, this is our most stable build soo far :)

kobzar

Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:29 am

its a realy good ! But as i see Android whery slowly on RPI.... ˆ(
No Fate!

nickholtus

Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:35 pm

anyone already tried to compile jelly bean from cm10 or aokp source.
if the is device tree is working it will also work with the jb source (with a few patches ofcource)
why jelly bean? ics requires 1024 mb ram (and runs on 256mb devices really well) and jelly bean only needs 512 (and it runs fine on a htc hero , arm 6, 600mhz processor, 256mb ram)
it has hardware acceleration (with project butter).
I get this device in a few weeks (orded it 3 weeks ago, with a delivery time of 12 weeks, so 9 weeks to go:( )

lesderid

Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:11 pm

nickholtus wrote:anyone already tried to compile jelly bean from cm10 or aokp source.
if the is device tree is working it will also work with the jb source (with a few patches ofcource)
why jelly bean? ics requires 1024 mb ram (and runs on 256mb devices really well) and jelly bean only needs 512 (and it runs fine on a htc hero , arm 6, 600mhz processor, 256mb ram)
I get this device in a few weeks (orded it 3 weeks ago, with a delivery time of 12 weeks, so 9 weeks to go:( )
Mathijs tried compiling CM10, but that didn't work right away. We might try again later, though.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:43 pm

nickholtus wrote:anyone already tried to compile jelly bean from cm10 or aokp source.
I don't think a Raspi build of JB will work with HW acceleration by default - it's a lot of work to plumb the Videocore acceleration in the Android system.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

lesderid

Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:50 pm

jamesh wrote:

(...)
I don't think a Raspi build of JB will work with HW acceleration by default - it's a lot of work to plumb the Videocore acceleration in the Android system.
Indeed. More about this: https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware/issues/70

nickholtus

Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:15 pm

it is that it takes so long till i get this awesome device, otherwise i alrady started with compiling jb for this

goggin

Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:00 pm

Just got my Pi really looking forward to this :) wish i could help but im not that good at coding :(

jackd

Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:02 am

goggin wrote:Just got my Pi really looking forward to this :) wish i could help but im not that good at coding :(
Don´t worry, there will be plenty of need for testers! Thanks for volunteering. ;)

JustPat

Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:50 am

If you need people to help test, I'd be happy to help. Me and my friend are very interested in running Android on a pi for some projects.

comoc85

Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:11 pm

Hello all. I am also a not so great with coding but have a RPI and am willing to test.

fodi

Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:58 pm

can we maybe use the linaro toolchain's optimizations on the pi?
anyway, you're doing a great job!

aaa801

Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:59 pm

fodi wrote:can we maybe use the linaro toolchain's optimizations on the pi?
I have been discussing this with linaro, they are interested in helping us out with this ;)

realbrucest

Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:30 pm

aaa801 wrote:I have been discussing this with linaro, they are interested in helping us out with this ;)
Big WOW!! These are awesome news indeed.

Thanks for all your efforts, and over here's another tester in case you need it.

fodi

Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:39 pm

aaa801 wrote:
I have been discussing this with linaro, they are interested in helping us out with this ;)
that's good news. anyway how much improvement would it mean? (i just see that every kernel for galaxy s are compiled with linaro and all promise higher-than-ever speed)
so i see that it would be good for us, the point is if it is just a little or very good :)

aaa801

Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:08 pm

fodi wrote:
aaa801 wrote:
that's good news. anyway how much improvement would it mean? (i just see that every kernel for galaxy s are compiled with linaro and all promise higher-than-ever speed)
so i see that it would be good for us, the point is if it is just a little or very good :)
il make a test build in the next few days
Still recovering from a hdd fail =/

fodi

Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:10 pm

i don't know if it is totally lame or not but can't we use some .so libraries from samsung galaxy y's cm7 port? as according to wikipedia it has a broadcom chipset with the same videocore 4 gpu (and i hope the libraries for the gpu could be used, maybe to get hw acceleration)
https://github.com/vivekkalady

sorry if it is totally lame and useless, i was just thinking about it and had to ask

edit: i just saw this on the front page http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/1700#comments
damn, it is quite fluid and it's said to use a different videocore library than the one on the raspi github

crashingdutchman

Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:36 pm

Just saw this on the front page: http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/1700

fodi

Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:18 am

fodi wrote:i don't know if it is totally lame or not but can't we use some .so libraries from samsung galaxy y's cm7 port? as according to wikipedia it has a broadcom chipset with the same videocore 4 gpu (and i hope the libraries for the gpu could be used, maybe to get hw acceleration)
https://github.com/vivekkalady

sorry if it is totally lame and useless, i was just thinking about it and had to ask
is it a viable option? (possibly it'd get lost among the video links)

Mathijs

Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:31 pm

fodi wrote:
fodi wrote:is it a viable option? (possibly it'd get lost among the video links)
We already tried that, they didn't work at all with the Pi. I think there are some differences between the Videocore IV in the Galaxy Y and the one in the Pi. Broadcom will release the drivers anyway eventually, so our best bet is to wait. Also, I'm not sure if CyanogenMOD for the Pi is worth it when there's going to be an official Android build.

Return to “Android”