Ok, I understand, I think. Part of the Broadcom binary blobs is libegl, and hence we can't recompile. We'd need someone at Broadcom, like Eben, to do that. As far as the cm7 framebuffer not being an issue, are you sure? I ran the cm7 earlier, and it pretty much ended on a framebuffer issue. I didn't crash, but never got to the android screen either. All I got was big black 640x480 black gui screen (vt7), and on the console screen (vt1) an init loop with four framebuffer lines repeating over and over.
I'll have to bring it back up and try again. This is based off the cm7 img file on the wiki. Right now I'm going to load the cm9 image and try it. Later (like tonight after work), I'll pull up my 64bit dev environment, load the entire android dev environment on it and try building from source. Sadly, my 64 bit dev environment is the other half-brain of my production 32-bit dev corporate production box, so they can't run simultaneously. Although, I might be able to offload the build to the webserver or DR box. It'd be all CLI work, but might work, and a lot more power than I have here.
As far as coding, it's what I do. I've not messed with building Linux drivers and not done really any Linux coding to speak of. But, I do know a bit about it, so I *may* be able to help on that front.