Enmakozato30

Broadcom have already discontiued developing android on Pi?

Sat May 24, 2014 11:52 pm

I've been waiting a year for release the stable android os for Raspberry pi. As for now I've been thinking that broadcom already give up. But still I'm hoping for the release.

ShiftPlusOne
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Re: Broadcom have already discontiued developing android on

Sat May 24, 2014 11:57 pm

Yeah, they've dropped it quite a while ago.

Enmakozato30

Sun May 25, 2014 12:38 am

I have a question is there's a possibility to make it usable and responsive?

ShiftPlusOne
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Sun May 25, 2014 12:43 am

Maybe, but it would have to be done by the community. The one guy working on has been rather busy and has now disappeared entirely. So it won't happen if everyone just keeps waiting for it to happen... someone needs to actually do it.

riklaunim

Sun May 25, 2014 1:32 am

ARMv6 is not among Android platforms of interest so not many developers care about it if at all. So it wonders if Raspberry Pi as a "brand" can move away from Broadcom. Chinese ARM SoCs have taken over low price and quite capable Android devices market. Samsung, Nvidia, Qualcomm and some Freescale have taken the "pro" market. AMD and Intel are pushing with low power x86 too.

Banana Pi can have Android ;) as well as many other single board computers based on newer ARM SoCs.

ame

Sun May 25, 2014 1:43 am

Buy a $50 smartphone. You get Android, a nice screen, an input device, audio input/output, WiFi, Bluetooth, GPS, an uninterruptible power supply, and much more!

fruitoftheloom

Sun May 25, 2014 9:46 am

Yes lots of devices like AndroidTV Sticks at a similar price point to the Pi which are hackable, no need for the Pi to run Android, as Android brings nothing to the the Pi Community

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Android-4 ... 1145694422

There is Picuntu Linux available for these devices as well..
adieu

My other Computer is an Asus CS10 ChromeBit running Chrome Operating System.
HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer supported by HPLIP software in Raspbian Buster.
Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1

jamesh

Sun May 25, 2014 1:20 pm

riklaunim wrote:ARMv6 is not among Android platforms of interest so not many developers care about it if at all. So it wonders if Raspberry Pi as a "brand" can move away from Broadcom. Chinese ARM SoCs have taken over low price and quite capable Android devices market. Samsung, Nvidia, Qualcomm and some Freescale have taken the "pro" market. AMD and Intel are pushing with low power x86 too.
EBanana Pi can have Android ;) as well as many other single board computers based on newer ARM SoCs.
Not likely to happen. And not really needed. RPF have an excellent working relationship with Broadcom. Chinese SOCs are pretty ropey, have minimal support and will not benefit from all the work already done on the current SOC.

Just not worth it for something like android which has minimal educational benefit.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

riklaunim

Sun May 25, 2014 3:38 pm

jamesh wrote:
riklaunim wrote:ARMv6 is not among Android platforms of interest so not many developers care about it if at all. So it wonders if Raspberry Pi as a "brand" can move away from Broadcom. Chinese ARM SoCs have taken over low price and quite capable Android devices market. Samsung, Nvidia, Qualcomm and some Freescale have taken the "pro" market. AMD and Intel are pushing with low power x86 too.
EBanana Pi can have Android ;) as well as many other single board computers based on newer ARM SoCs.
Not likely to happen. And not really needed. RPF have an excellent working relationship with Broadcom. Chinese SOCs are pretty ropey, have minimal support and will not benefit from all the work already done on the current SOC.

Just not worth it for something like android which has minimal educational benefit.
That all depends who is interested. PR/Marketing may have a lot to say. Just look what happened to Banana Pi, and what did not happen to every other A20 single board computer. AMD may want to compete with Intel (Galileo, Edison). Chinese may want to show that they are not that bad and so on, or Nvidia may want to promote their Tegra/ARM. From drivers point of view Intel is best (open), second Nvidia (closed, but ARM open somewhat), then AMD, and lastly Mali in common ARMs. As for market prices with no discounts Chinese win...

It could be quite interesting if an average, decent Android phone could be "opened" so that you can have typical Linux running on it with Android as a frontend. Plus some modifications to have some GPIO access - either via integrated microcontrollers or from the SoC itself. Small stand-alone single-board-phone-computer with WiFi, 2G/3G, Bluetooth, battery, touch screen, Android apps, classical Linux libraries and backend functionality - scriptable and extendable. Android already can be scripted with Python (SL4A), but typical Android Kernel won't have drivers for USB UART chips used by USB connectable microcontroller boards. You would get also Android developers.

redhawk

Sun May 25, 2014 5:57 pm

Getting Android to run on the Pi is like trying to run XP on a 486, sure it may work but I doubt anyone would be happy with the performance. :)

I already own a smart phone with ARMv6 600MHz processor so I can vouch for the fact that even something as basic as Android 2.3 is going to be borderline usable.
So to be honest I'm not surprised Broadcom have dropped development on the Pi Android this OS is resource hungry and unlikely to out perform the likes of RiscOS or Raspbian nor offer anything unique.

For what it's worth there are plenty of Android TV Box thingys on eBay / Amazon based on more modern ARMv7 CPU cores just make sure you get the ones with the best chipset and full hardware video decoder support for XBMC.
Alternatively if you just want a taste of Android then fire up a copy of Virtual Box with Android X86 instead http://www.android-x86.org/

Richard S.

gyeben

Tue May 27, 2014 9:29 am

redhawk wrote:Getting Android to run on the Pi is like trying to run XP on a 486
Don't be stupid.
redhawk wrote:I already own a smart phone with ARMv6 600MHz processor so I can vouch for the fact that even something as basic as Android 2.3 is going to be borderline usable.
Only difference: the R-Pi's processor is a 700 MHz one, and can be overclocked up to 1100 MHz.

fruitoftheloom

Tue May 27, 2014 9:54 am

gyeben wrote:
redhawk wrote:Getting Android to run on the Pi is like trying to run XP on a 486
Don't be stupid.
redhawk wrote:I already own a smart phone with ARMv6 600MHz processor so I can vouch for the fact that even something as basic as Android 2.3 is going to be borderline usable.
Only difference: the R-Pi's processor is a 700 MHz one, and can be overclocked up to 1100 MHz.
However which way it is argued, the Pi will not in the the foreseeable future have a stable version of Android, and as has been alluded to there are plenty of Android Devices at a similar price point to the RPi..
adieu

My other Computer is an Asus CS10 ChromeBit running Chrome Operating System.
HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer supported by HPLIP software in Raspbian Buster.
Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1

jamesh

Wed May 28, 2014 9:26 am

gyeben wrote:
Don't be stupid.
Don't be rude.
gyeben wrote:
It's worth stating that at no point did Broadcom EVER consider putting Android on the 2835. The prototype port ported about was an individuals effort to get it working. No official Broadcom time went in to it. As for marketing. Since I talk with marketing quite a lot I know a bit about this, and there has never and unlikely ever will be any interest in Broadcom porting Android to the 2835. They would never make the money back, the paid for interest in something like it is practically zero. i.e it wouldn't sell enough extra chips to make it worthwhile.

That said, there should be enough information out there for a third party to do it.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...

Beny564

Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:17 pm

What about an android emulator for linux desktop with the new raspberry pi this is a very realistic option as it is 6x faster!!!

ric96

Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:38 pm

what about the android graphics stack released by broadcom for android, anybody tried to port that???
http://www.broadcom.com/docs/support/vi ... ack.tar.gz
My apologies for shameless YouTube Plugs...
youtube.com/sahajsarup
twitter @sahajsarup
skype srics1996
e-mail: [email protected]
Blog: http://www.geektillithertz.com/wordpress
Web: http://www.geektillithertz.com

jamesh

Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:20 pm

What about giving all this Android stuff a rest?

Return to “Android”