Warg

Broadcoms response w/ regards to their Android

Mon May 06, 2013 2:05 pm

This was posted in our IRC-channel early this morning (CEST): http://www.pastebin.ca/2374548

Food for thought, at the very least.

Also note that I will be putting in a number of hours on this project Wednesday to Friday of this week, and as such I invite anyone that can help (and people who just want to listen in) to join #razdroid on freenode at any point during those three days.

Best regards,
Warg

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Broadcoms response w/ regards to their Android

Mon May 06, 2013 7:19 pm

Warg wrote:This was posted in our IRC-channel early this morning (CEST): http://www.pastebin.ca/2374548

Also note that I will be putting in a number of hours on this project Wednesday to Friday of this week, and as such I invite anyone that can help (and people who just want to listen in) to join #razdroid on freenode at any point during those three days.

Best regards,
Warg
I'm getting nothing on that link - can you post anything here? as I'm am intrigued as to what is being talked about.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Please direct all questions to the forum, I do not do support via PM.

jamesh

Mon May 06, 2013 7:58 pm

Don't worry - Pastebin finall caught up with the real world.
Thanks for getting in touch, and apologies for the delay in my response. There is currently no plan to release the Broadcom Android image for 2835. We are working hard to get hardware-accelerated video decode working within at least one web browser under Raspbian (probably Chrome), but do not have a schedule for completing this effort.
ref: Android - Pretty much what we've been saying here for a while. Just some additional information - the VC4 firmware on the Raspi runs quite some way behind the Broadcom dev tree, on top of which Android is built, so it's a big job to update the firmware to a state that it could use the Broadcom Android (and that doesn't include the work to make Android work on the 2835 in particular). The reason it's behind is that it needs to be ultra stable, and there is no demand to bring in the latest Android specific code anyway, UNLESS you want Android, and Android simply isn't a priority.

CoolApps

Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:40 am

jamesh wrote:
Warg wrote:This was posted in our IRC-channel early this morning (CEST): http://www.pastebin.ca/2374548

Best regards,
Warg
I'm getting nothing on that link - can you post anything here? as I'm am intrigued as to what is being talked about.
Android will never be ultra stable, even my Nexus 4 is not ultra stable on the stock rom (I am too good at finding bugs).
Android, web, linux, windows and scripting developer
Download Page: caftp.3owl.com

jamesh

Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:51 am

CoolApps wrote:
jamesh wrote:

Best regards,
Warg
Android will never be ultra stable, even my Nexus 4 is not ultra stable on the stock rom (I am too good at finding bugs).
I was talking about the stability of the Raspi, not Android. With limited staff and limited testing, any firmware released for the Raspi needs to be pretty solid., so large changes are avoided.

Return to “Android”