rta

Fund android for the pi!

Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:32 pm

After reading many of the posts regarding porting android to the pi and the frustration many people have in it taking so long rather than argue with each other and moan constantly I thought of this idea.

Broadcom have few people that work part time on the project as they are busy and there is
a relatively large cost in the process of porting it with the full hardware acceleration. So if we all gave them say £1 or so each all the hundreds of thousands who want this done can get it and Broadcom
get a little something towards he costs involved. Everyone's a winner!!

Think of it like kickstarter you want it? fund it!

remember they are not a charity or foundation they are a company that needs to make money and they will never put full resources behind something which they won't make money off. (understandable)

I would be happy to donate a small amount and I'm sure I would not be the only one here!

anyway just a thought

lasloHU

Re: Fund android for the pi!

Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:59 am

I agree with this idea :)

duberry
Location: standing on a planet that's evolving. And revolving at nine hundred miles an hour

Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:06 am

rta wrote: remember they are not a charity or foundation
i think you have forgotten : raspberrypi.org/about - "The Raspberry Pi Foundation is a UK registered charity"
lend me your arms, fast as thunderbolts, for a pillow on my journey.
If the environment was a bank, would it be too big to fail
so long; and thanks for all the pi

MrBunsy

Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:48 pm

duberry wrote:
rta wrote: remember they are not a charity or foundation
i think you have forgotten : raspberrypi.org/about - "The Raspberry Pi Foundation is a UK registered charity"
Broadcom, I suspect, was meant.

I also think we'd be talking far more money than you could easily get via donations. The hourly rate of a good engineer isn't cheap.

ski522

Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:46 pm

I'm surprised Google hasn't thrown something together considering they sponsored a bunch of Pi's recently for education. You'd think they'd be more interested in sending the Pi's to schools with Android running in them!

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:31 am

ski522 wrote:I'm surprised Google hasn't thrown something together considering they sponsored a bunch of Pi's recently for education. You'd think they'd be more interested in sending the Pi's to schools with Android running in them!
Except Android is completely useless in a teaching environment.

Well, not completely useless, but certainly almost completely useless. And Google know that. It's an OS designed for consumption (at which it excels), not development.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

tonyhughes

Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:38 am

I agree with jamesh, Android is brilliant for mobile devices designed to gather and present information, and be a portable handheld do-all, but it doesn't meet the goals of the RPF, and I couldn't imagine Google for a second wanting to pour big dollars into it on that basis (RPF could care less about Android on RPi - my words, not theirs), otherwise it would look like Google was hijacking the project just to further its own goals.

Google did the right thing not messing with the RPi's when they donated them.

Funding whoever has got Android for Pi to the point it is at now is probably a better idea, assuming funding is going to get them working on it more.

Spid

Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:07 am

I have used Android on various devices, and however it is marketed it is not a good experience except on touch screens......

Android like Win CE and various other operating systems is not needed in my opinion, surely Debian, Arch, RiscOS, Opeeelec and Raspbmc cover all basis ?

At the end of the day Android is a Linux distro created for a specific purpose and it should stay that way IMO ! :|
I will always assume you are running Raspbian for desktop and Raspbmc for XMBC !

Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:15 pm

In a way it does seem odd that google having bought a load of pi's for people didnt bother porting android. But then they have only bought them for education and android has very little use in that role. For the classroom raspbian is fine. Android is just not a productivity orientated system, now if the school was running programming classes for android then yeah, android in education makes sense but that isnt the audience google donated to.

jamesh

Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:31 pm

6677 wrote:In a way it does seem odd that google having bought a load of pi's for people didnt bother porting android. But then they have only bought them for education and android has very little use in that role. For the classroom raspbian is fine. Android is just not a productivity orientated system, now if the school was running programming classes for android then yeah, android in education makes sense but that isnt the audience google donated to.
Actually, Google only port Android to their own devices. It's the manufacturers of the devices who usually do the porting. And often its the suppliers of the chips to the manufacturers who do the porting. Hence I spend a load of time in S. Korea last year...which was nice.*

* no it wasn't
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

Return to “Android”