ZacharyI123

Will android sdk work

Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:27 pm

If I downloaded the Linux adt bundle from this site http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html#ExistingIDE would it work on the pi?
Don't be mean, I'm only thirteen 8-)

ZacharyI123

Re: Will android sdk work

Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:37 am

Apparently, because the pi has an arm not intel chip it is neither 32 or 64 bit so neither of the bundles would work.

I have another idea about how to make android mobile apps on the pi (regardless of the pi CPU speed)
1. Download sdk tools for Linux http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html#ExistingIDE
2. Manually install them with the instruction given somewhere on that site

Regardless of speed, will that work? Can you try it? Does the sdk tools for Linux require intel?

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:56 am

Since they have 32-bit and 64-bit versions, at least some of the tools must require x86. Eclipse is written in Java IIUC, so that and the Android plug-in for it should work, albeit rather slowly; Java on RaspPi is not fast and Eclipse is very big.

ZacharyI123

Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:16 pm

rurwin wrote:Since they have 32-bit and 64-bit versions, at least some of the tools must require x86. Eclipse is written in Java IIUC, so that and the Android plug-in for it should work, albeit rather slowly; Java on RaspPi is not fast and Eclipse is very big.
You seem to be looking at the bundles. The sdk tools only for Linux are not bit specific, so will they work? Do they require an intel chip, more ram, more CPU (or anything else the pi does not have)? I'm patient so as long as the eclipse android sdk runs, no matter how slow or how much it freezes, I'm happy :) . I have an 8GB sd card with over 5GB free so km sure I have plenty of space for eclipse, the android sdk tools only (for Linux) and a couple of android application projects.

So will it run? Will the emulator run? Etc?

Wizard

Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:28 pm

You only need the Android toolchain, not Eclipse.
Eclipse is very power thirsty and is perhaps not the best option for the Pi...

I code java for Android, and others, in vi and just use the ant toolchain to build.

See reference here: http://incise.org/android-development-o ... -line.html
Raspberry Pi - finally a worthy replacement for A500!!!

ZacharyI123

Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:56 pm

Wizard wrote:You only need the Android toolchain, not Eclipse.

I code java for Android, and others, in vi and just use the ant toolchain to build.

I need an IDE. Can you answer my question: By installing eclipse, then download the sdk tools only (for linux), then manually install them. Will I be able to make a hello world app for android in the eclipse ide using an IB and will I be able to run it on the android emulator? (All on my pi)

ghans

Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:43 pm

Just try it :D

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

ZacharyI123

Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:04 pm

ghans wrote:Just try it :D

ghans
Can you try it? I am not allowed to download anything without a guarantee that it'll work.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:47 pm

ZacharyI123 wrote:

ghans
Can you try it? I am not allowed to download anything without a guarantee that it'll work.
???? That's bizarre! Also, it will take ages for someone to try this, and I will put money on it being pretty much unusable. Eclipse is just too big a CPU and memory hog to work very well on the Raspi.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

ZacharyI123

Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:09 pm

jamesh wrote:
ZacharyI123 wrote:

ghans
???? That's bizarre! Also, it will take ages for someone to try this, and I will put money on it being pretty much unusable. Eclipse is just too big a CPU and memory hog to work very well on the Raspi.
Theoretically, would I be able to design, code, compile and emulate an android application on eclipse running on my pi (If I had infinite patience and time)? I don't mind it running slowly, as long as it will open and not crash whenever I do anything. Often, emulators won't run on virtual machines because they're fussy about what they are running on, will the android emulator run on arm?

jamesh

Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:23 pm

ZacharyI123 wrote:
jamesh wrote:
ZacharyI123 wrote: Can you try it? I am not allowed to download anything without a guarantee that it'll work.
Theoretically, would I be able to design, code, compile and emulate an android application on eclipse running on my pi (If I had infinite patience and time)? I don't mind it running slowly, as long as it will open and not crash whenever I do anything. Often, emulators won't run on virtual machines because they're fussy about what they are running on, will the android emulator run on arm?
I don't think so, without a lot of effort. But I'm sure someone will try it eventually to be sure.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

ZacharyI123

Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:31 pm

jamesh wrote:I don't think so, without a lot of effort. But I'm sure someone will try it eventually to be sure.
Why not?

Wizard

Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:04 pm

On one of my typical dev computers I have between 4-16Gb RAM depending on if it's a laptop or desktop model.
Eclipse run well on these machines due to RAM, lots of RAM.

Sometimes I'm running Eclipse on an older laptop which only has 2 Gb of RAM and it's a pain in the a.. to be honest... Even with a clean workspace the java heap is allocating loads of memory.

I'm not even sure Eclipse will start on a Pi unless you run with quite a lot of disk cache and that's when it'll start to lag...
You could end up with load-times of multiples in 10 minutes or so for just simple operations which would be counter-productive.

Raspberry Pi is not a platform for full bloated IDE development, it's a learning platform for mainly (IMHO) low-level tinkering and back-to-basics usage.

Eclipse is not needed for Android development - although makes it easier.

Have a look at the example link I sent you with build directives with ant. It works - Eclipse won't. (not well anyway...)
Raspberry Pi - finally a worthy replacement for A500!!!

poglad

Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:22 am

ZacharyI123 wrote:
Wizard wrote:You only need the Android toolchain, not Eclipse.

I need an IDE.
No you don't. If you have the patience not to care how slowly it runs, then you certainly have the patience to learn how to use a nice lean text editor together with ant.

Return to “Android”