Bruce Crowthorne

Can RPi run "messages.android" - can we now send text messages

Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:04 pm

Has anyone got the new (?) Android "Messages for Web" (messages.android.com) working on a Pi? I have it working on my PC and it let's you generate texts and send them out, but the normal interface is a web page. My guess is that it should work on a Pi (before you ask, no I haven't tried it yet)

So that is the first part, what I really want to do is to get the Pi to send me a text message on an event. In my case I would like it to text me if on of my RPis isn't working. I already have a little routine to ping each of the Pis and put the result on a web page - so far so good - and fine if you can log on to the web site.

What I would like to do now is to have it text me and tell me if something is wrong.

The big question is to get an interface (preferably using Python) that can send me a text message. I realise that countries other than the UK will allow this already, but in the UK we haven't had this capability.
Thanks
Bruce

HawaiianPi

Re: Can RPi run "messages.android" - can we now send text messages

Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:32 pm

Many phone carriers have ways to send text messages via email, without any special applications or web sites.

For example, I can send a text message to a T-Mobile number by using the recipient's phone number @tmomail.net as the email address.

You use just the numerals of the phone number, with no punctuation. I'm in the USA, but @t-mobile.uk.net would be the UK version.

You should check with your phone carrier to see if they have such a service.
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

Return to “Android”