aharonhakohen

Replacing car head unit

Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:32 am

Hi All -

I have searched this forum, and the internet in general, but have come up empty handed.

I am new to Pi, so perhaps there is a reason I cannot find information...

I would like to REPLACE my car's head unit with a Raspberry Pi running Android. I would add a digital to analog audio converter, a USB GPS, a fm tuner, camera, etc.

Am I missing something? Why can I not find even one person attempting the same thing? Most projects have been installing a Pi to an existing head unit, which I do not want to do.

The "cheap" Android head units out there are junk, and I do not want to spend hundreds (at least) of dollars.

Although I am new to Pi, I have experience with car audio, electronics, soldering, etc.

The project seems pretty straight-foward. I know I only gave the very basics, but does anyone have any ideas, comments, or insights? I am all ears...

Thanks!

thagrol

Re: Relacing car head unit

Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:54 am

aharonhakohen wrote:
I would like to REPLACE my car's head unit with a Raspberry Pi running Android. I would add a digital to analog audio converter, a USB GPS, a fm tuner, camera, etc.
Last time I checked there ia no version of android that runs on any Pi model. (Well android things but that isn't stock android)
Note to self: don't feed the trolls
If you believe "L'enfer, c'est les autres" (Hell is other people) have you considered that it may be of your own making?

fruitoftheloom

Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:37 pm

aharonhakohen wrote:
Hi All -

I have searched this forum, and the internet in general, but have come up empty handed.

I am new to Pi, so perhaps there is a reason I cannot find information...

Am I missing something? Why can I not find even one person attempting the same thing? Most projects have been installing a Pi to an existing head unit, which I do not want to do.

The "cheap" Android head units out there are junk, and I do not want to spend hundreds (at least) of dollars.

Although I am new to Pi, I have experience with car audio, electronics, soldering, etc.

The project seems pretty straight-foward. I know I only gave the very basics, but does anyone have any ideas, comments, or insights? I am all ears...

Thanks!

Regards Android variants see:

viewtopic.php?f=73&t=217000

Android Auto open source variant OpenAuto:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/magpi/andro ... -openauto/

Please be aware you should approach the developers for support of whatever Android Solution you choose to implement..
Adieu

thagrol

Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:24 pm

thagrol wrote:
aharonhakohen wrote:
Last time I checked there ia no version of android that runs on any Pi model. (Well android things but that isn't stock android)
It seems things have changed. See MagPi issue 71: https://www.raspberrypi.org/magpi/
Note to self: don't feed the trolls
If you believe "L'enfer, c'est les autres" (Hell is other people) have you considered that it may be of your own making?

fruitoftheloom

Re: Replacing car head unit

Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:01 pm

thagrol wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:24 pm
thagrol wrote:
aharonhakohen wrote:
It seems things have changed. See MagPi issue 71: https://www.raspberrypi.org/magpi/

Yes quite so, it was in the link I posted above which shows other Android AOSP / Things variants......
Adieu

Return to “Android”