aharonhakohen

Replacing car head unit

Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:32 am

Hi All -

I have searched this forum, and the internet in general, but have come up empty handed.

I am new to Pi, so perhaps there is a reason I cannot find information...

I would like to REPLACE my car's head unit with a Raspberry Pi running Android. I would add a digital to analog audio converter, a USB GPS, a fm tuner, camera, etc.

Am I missing something? Why can I not find even one person attempting the same thing? Most projects have been installing a Pi to an existing head unit, which I do not want to do.

The "cheap" Android head units out there are junk, and I do not want to spend hundreds (at least) of dollars.

Although I am new to Pi, I have experience with car audio, electronics, soldering, etc.

The project seems pretty straight-foward. I know I only gave the very basics, but does anyone have any ideas, comments, or insights? I am all ears...

Thanks!

thagrol

Re: Relacing car head unit

Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:54 am

aharonhakohen wrote:
I would like to REPLACE my car's head unit with a Raspberry Pi running Android. I would add a digital to analog audio converter, a USB GPS, a fm tuner, camera, etc.
Last time I checked there ia no version of android that runs on any Pi model. (Well android things but that isn't stock android)
Note to self: don't feed the trolls
If you believe "L'enfer, c'est les autres" (Hell is other people) have you considered that it may be of your own making?

fruitoftheloom

Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:37 pm

aharonhakohen wrote:
Hi All -

I have searched this forum, and the internet in general, but have come up empty handed.

I am new to Pi, so perhaps there is a reason I cannot find information...

Am I missing something? Why can I not find even one person attempting the same thing? Most projects have been installing a Pi to an existing head unit, which I do not want to do.

The "cheap" Android head units out there are junk, and I do not want to spend hundreds (at least) of dollars.

Although I am new to Pi, I have experience with car audio, electronics, soldering, etc.

The project seems pretty straight-foward. I know I only gave the very basics, but does anyone have any ideas, comments, or insights? I am all ears...

Thanks!

Regards Android variants see:

viewtopic.php?f=73&t=217000

Android Auto open source variant OpenAuto:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/magpi/andro ... -openauto/

Please be aware you should approach the developers for support of whatever Android Solution you choose to implement..
adieu

My other Computer is an Asus CS10 ChromeBit

thagrol

Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:24 pm

thagrol wrote:
aharonhakohen wrote:
Last time I checked there ia no version of android that runs on any Pi model. (Well android things but that isn't stock android)
It seems things have changed. See MagPi issue 71: https://www.raspberrypi.org/magpi/
Note to self: don't feed the trolls
If you believe "L'enfer, c'est les autres" (Hell is other people) have you considered that it may be of your own making?

fruitoftheloom

Re: Replacing car head unit

Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:01 pm

thagrol wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:24 pm
thagrol wrote:
aharonhakohen wrote:
It seems things have changed. See MagPi issue 71: https://www.raspberrypi.org/magpi/

Yes quite so, it was in the link I posted above which shows other Android AOSP / Things variants......
adieu

My other Computer is an Asus CS10 ChromeBit

Return to “Android”