Ray_GTI-R

Re: Sucessful BOINC ARM processing but not on the RPi

Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:19 am

FWIW if you think that Android on RPi works right now thanks to this weeks' copy of Micro Mart which has a byline something like "Run Android on your Raspberry Pi" then look closely at the article itself which includes modestly (almost apologetically) therein that the current-version RPi Android image is

" ... unusable ... "

I know not why ... their opinion not mine but I was put off enough not to bother investigating any further.

PS.
I really want to see Android on the RPi. It doesn't matter to me which Android flavour ... Gingerbread, Honeycomb, Ice, Jelly ... nativeboinc doesn't seem to care either - see title & original thread.

ghans

Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:06 pm

Without graphics acceleration and sound support Android sucks seriously.
And not to forget the 256 MB RAM models.
That said , i'm wondering what Broadcom would gain from releasing the internal
Android build of theirs (fully accelerated OMG !).
The preview has turned into a very naughty tease for us Android fanboys.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:22 pm

ghans wrote: That said , i'm wondering what Broadcom would gain from releasing the internal
Android build of theirs (fully accelerated OMG !).
Plus with 512mb of RAM it will match my old phone for performance, which had a single core ARMv6 like the pi although at 600MHz, dunno if it had hardfloat or not, 512mb RAM, really the pi is a little quicker.

Ray_GTI-R

Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:06 pm

The Pi runs a lot more smoothly e.g., it plays Connect4 OK when overclocked.

About "Sucessful BOINC ARM processing but not on the RPi" ... I did a bit of digging tonight on a tangential topic about Android support of BOINC projects using nativeboinc and was pleasantly surprised to stumble across a goldmine of various BOINC ARM processing stats & architectures here:-

http://nativeboinc.org/site/host_stats 8-)

Liz/Eben ... I sent an offsite message about nativeboinc as I thought it was a sigificant topic. No reply. Sorry if you tried to get in touch, nothing got through. :?

Return to “Android”