hippy

Android Things Forum

Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:36 am

As we have a Windows 10 for IoT programming forum, can we please also have an Android Things forum ?

DougieLawson

Re: Android Things Forum

Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:19 am

Android on Raspberries is not supported on this forum. It's all done on https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/android-rpi
Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

Criticising any questions is banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All non-medical doctors are on my foes list.

B.Goode

Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:26 am

DougieLawson wrote:Android on Raspberries is not supported on this forum. It's all done on https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/android-rpi

Windows (the desktop version) isn't supported on RPi either, but there is a Win10IoT subforum.

Isn't that a precedent, since it looks to me as though Android Things is a 'shim' for development of IoT apps rather than being 'Android as we know it' ?

fruitoftheloom

Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:27 am

DougieLawson wrote:Android on Raspberries is not supported on this forum. It's all done on https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/android-rpi
It is not Android it is Android Things (aka Google Brillo) IoT Platform Dougie :shock:
Rather than negativity think outside the box !
RPi 4B 4GB (SSD Boot)..
Asus ChromeBox 3 Celeron is my other computer...

hippy

Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:14 am

fruitoftheloom wrote:It is not Android it is Android Things (aka Google Brillo) IoT Platform Dougie :shock:
Indeed. I came to add to the "anyone begun to do anything with Android Things for Pi3 yet?" thread to say "yes, and it's quite amazing", but found that had become moved to the Android forum and presumably auto-locked -

viewtopic.php?f=73&t=168251

Android Things is to Android what Windows 10 IoT is to Windows 10 Desktop; an IoT platform, not the full thing. Though for Android Things it's not much different to creating any other Android app.

I had my first Android Thing app running on my Pi3B in less than 10 hours which isn't bad going, seeing as I have never used Android Studio. The last Android development I did was a couple of years ago using Eclipse, there are no clear how-to's, and I ran into no end of issues which delayed things. I suspect it's going to be quite popular for particular use-cases.

I was surprised not to see an RPF blog coinciding with Google's release of the Android Things developer preview, so perhaps they aren't working quite so hand-in-hand as Google seemed to present it. It would be nice to clear things up as to where the RPF stands on Android Things.

DougieLawson

Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:17 am

If it's a Google thing keep the discussion within Google's fora.

I've never grasped why this forum needs a WinIoT subforum when most of the discussion on there says "Go and post your questions on Microsoft's extensive and supported fora".
Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

fruitoftheloom

Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:18 am

hippy wrote:
fruitoftheloom wrote:It is not Android it is Android Things (aka Google Brillo) IoT Platform Dougie :shock:
Indeed. I came to add to the "anyone begun to do anything with Android Things for Pi3 yet?" thread to say "yes, and it's quite amazing", but found that had become moved to the Android forum and presumably auto-locked -

viewtopic.php?f=73&t=168251

Android Things is to Android what Windows 10 IoT is to Windows 10 Desktop; an IoT platform, not the full thing. Though for Android Things it's not much different to creating any other Android app.

I had my first Android Thing app running on my Pi3B in less than 10 hours which isn't bad going, seeing as I have never used Android Studio. The last Android development I did was a couple of years ago using Eclipse, there are no clear how-to's, and I ran into no end of issues which delayed things. I suspect it's going to be quite popular for particular use-cases.

I was surprised not to see an RPF blog coinciding with Google's release of the Android Things developer preview, so perhaps they aren't working quite so hand-in-hand as Google seemed to present it. It would be nice to clear things up as to where the RPF stands on Android Things.
Also it would be good if it was compatible with the Raspberry Pi 2B revision 1.2 (BCM2837) :D

I have reported a Brillo Post as well as several Android Things Posts so hopefully they will all end up in a Sub-Forum under Programming ;)
Rather than negativity think outside the box !
RPi 4B 4GB (SSD Boot)..
Asus ChromeBox 3 Celeron is my other computer...

joan

Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:23 am

Perhaps rename Windows 10 for IoT to Internet of Things and anything related can be moved there.

DougieLawson

Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:25 am

joan wrote:Perhaps rename Windows 10 for IoT to Internet of Things and anything related can be moved there.
That's a good idea. Then we can simply reply to every post in there with "Go and post your question on Microsoft's | Google's | Whatever's forum for this project".

hippy

Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:05 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:Also it would be good if it was compatible with the Raspberry Pi 2B revision 1.2 (BCM2837) :D
I am sure people brighter than me will soon be trying to figure out how to get it to work on other Pi's and it would be particularly nice if they could figure out how to get it to work on a Zero.
fruitoftheloom wrote:I have reported a Brillo Post as well as several Android Things Posts so hopefully they will all end up in a Sub-Forum under Programming ;)
Many thanks.
joan wrote:Perhaps rename Windows 10 for IoT to Internet of Things and anything related can be moved there.
Hopefully not. That would be as bad as putting all programming languages in one forum.

joan

Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:08 pm

hippy wrote: ...
Hopefully not. That would be as bad as putting all programming languages in one forum.
There are too many forums as it is. It seems sensible to keep IoT related topics in one place.

hippy

Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:18 pm

joan wrote:There are too many forums as it is. It seems sensible to keep IoT related topics in one place.
One could use the same argument for grouping all programming languages in one forum, all operating systems in one forum, all hardware and peripherals in one forum, and the same reasons why that's not a good idea goes for two very different implementations of IoT platforms.

Now an IoT forum with sub-forums for Windows IoT, Android Things, and anything else which may come along later, I would be happy with.

Heater

Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:21 pm

Not before we have sub-forum forum for the worlds most widely used programming language, Javascript.

We can remove Win 10 IoT to make room for that :)

Surely the Android/Brillo/whatever guys have their own web site and forum? It's not clear to me what the Raspberry Pi Foundation should support a Google project. Google has resources enough of it's own.

Similarly for Windows IoT.
Last edited by Heater on Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

rahlquist

Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:33 pm

Gotta say this is one of those incredibly frustrating things. I tried to get some discussion going on this, and my post was moved to that locked and horribly broken Android area (admins if you don't see the android forum as broken try logging in as a regular non admin user).

I understand why up til now all Android based discussion got piled over there. But now this seems like something that may have had at least some collaboration based on the Google PR. Hell I was hoping that there had been some sort of collaboration between the Pi foundation and Google that maybe would have even gotten a working version of Android close to RemixOS. The Pi3 should certainly be capable of it.

I mean seriously, the Pi is supposed to be all about education right? Android at its heart started with linux, what makes its linux any less valid than Arch, Pidora, Debian, FreeBSD, Gentoo, OpenSUSE, Puppy etc. Or is it only the education experience the Pi foundation approves of?

That said, its your forum and your user experience, if snubbing people is how you want to roll, so be it. I've understood for quite a while now that the Pi foundation is just as much about their own vision as some other companies and the vision is more important than sales or the consumer experience.

[Mod, removed offensive language, temp ban for poster, as predicted by the poster who knew that he was going to get a temp ban and post edited and posted anyway. So well done you, hope you feel better about the whole thing]

hippy

Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:37 pm

DougieLawson wrote:
That's a good idea. Then we can simply reply to every post in there with "Go and post your question on Microsoft's | Google's | Whatever's forum for this project".
Just think how much effort could be saved if everyone simply posted "Python isn't an RPF project", "Scratch isn't an RPF project", "DHCPCD isn't an RPF project", "Linux is not an RPF project", etc, etc, and sent everyone off to somewhere else.

Sometimes that is the appropriate response, but these forums are about supporting the community using those things with a Pi, helping them with their issues, rather than shooing them away.

hippy

Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:44 pm

rahlquist wrote:Gotta say this is one of those incredibly frustrating things. I tried to get some discussion going on this, and my post was moved to that locked and horribly broken Android area
I think that was done more by rote, that whoever moved it thought Android Things was Android, and that's not supported, so punted it off to the walled sandpit.

I imagine there will be some discussions going on now about how Android Things fits with the Pi and these forums so I would not be surprised to see it liberated and come back unlocked once that's done.

DougieLawson

Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:56 pm

Joan's idea is the best. Just make that "Win10IoT" thing into a plain vanilla "IoT" forum and prevent the spread of more useless sub-fora on this place.

hippy

Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:07 pm

DougieLawson wrote:Joan's idea is the best. Just make that "Win10IoT" thing into a plain vanilla "IoT" forum and prevent the spread of more useless sub-fora on this place.
If you consider it "useless" then just ignore it. Let those who don't find it useless get on with using it.

I have a couple of Apps which are basically presentation platforms which are better suited to Android Things than they are to full-fat Android / Android TV. A Digital Picture Frame grabbing stuff over the network or from the web for example should be a doddle.

DougieLawson

Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:58 pm

The whole forum/subforum layout is a sprawling mess.

Why do we have
viewforum.php?f=47
&
viewforum.php?f=49
which both appear to serve the same purpose?

Why hasn't
viewforum.php?f=83
been deleted or at least locked and closed? It's been dead for TWO YEARS.

Why is
viewforum.php?f=73
such a mess unless you change from Raspite to the Prosilver theme?

Why do we need
viewforum.php?f=38
&
viewforum.php?f=35
which have too much overlap.

What's so special about B+ add-ons, now?
viewforum.php?f=100

When you read the forum using
search.php?search_id=unreadposts
it removes all of the subforum structure but you don't get an option to mark threads as "I'm not interested, ignore this junk".

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:14 pm

This is currently being discussed. The Android forum formatting issue is due to the fact it is closed. I'll get back when we decide what to do.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

jamesh

Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:19 pm

Also, stop being so damn stroppy with each other, and chill out.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

jamesh

Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:28 pm

Locking until we have decided what to do.

Return to “Android”