thekeywordgeek

The Android SDK isn't available for ARM, is it

Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:20 am

A bit of casual searching to see whether I could run PhoneGap on my Raspbian distro reveals that the Android SDK is only available compiled for Linux(i386).

So no developing phone apps on my Pi then. No biggie, I was only looking for the fun of it and my Intel laptop serves all my PhoneGap needs.

But it's worth asking in case anyone else wishes to develop Android apps on their Pi: does anyone know whether there has been an unofficial Android SDK port to Linux(ARM)? The answer's probably no and it'd probably struggle with 256Mb of memory anyway, but pushing the envelope's what this is all about, isn't it.

Apologies to the mods if this is deemed to be in the wrong forum, while it's not strictly an Android OS question I figure the people with the relevant Android knowledge will find it here.
I make and sell radio kits for the Raspberry Pi and more.
http://shop.languagespy.com/

jwh1981

Re: The Android SDK isn't available for ARM, is it

Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:52 pm

The ADK is unfortunately only for x86/x86_64. However, once Android is released for the RPi, you should be able to use AIDE (https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... e.ui&hl=en) to develop on Android, for Android, using the RPi.

Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:52 pm

You can't get on the play store legally from the pi. Google play isn't actually a part of the android source code, its also not free, your handset manufacturer pays for the gplay license when making the phone. It can't be purchased seperately eiether.

thekeywordgeek

Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:45 am

My reason for looking was specifically to see whether an HTML5/JS environment like PhoneGap could be used on Raspbian or a similar Linux distro. AIDE is very cool, but it doesn't have the same ease of access for novice programmers who might be looking for things to do with their Pi. Neither is it cross-platform as PhoneGap is, if a novice Pi user wants to write an app for their BlackBerry or iOS device rather than just Android it's of little use.

There's a rather neat way of getting HTML/JS apps onto devices through the browser by using a manifest file to ensure all components are cached and manipulating the cache expiry. They aren't proper apps, but they almost behave as though they are. When I get the time I'll sit down and write a little HOWTO for this ersatz app development route on a Pi.

For my own Android development I'm happy with my x86 machine, it was curiosity that made me look at the Pi.

With respect to the Google Play Store, as has been pointed out it is not officially available for non-sanctioned Android builds. However as anyone who's bought a grey market Chinese tablet will tell you, this is something to which a blind eye seems to be turned and the store app is readily downloadable. It kinda makes sense, the store is where they make money and they're hardly going to turn away customers.
I make and sell radio kits for the Raspberry Pi and more.
http://shop.languagespy.com/

Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:29 pm

thekeywordgeek wrote:the store is where they make money and they're hardly going to turn away customers.
They threatened legal action over cyanogen mod and a few other android distro's until they all decided to remove it so yes people have gotten into some sort of trouble (in the case of cyanogen mod which is probably the most notable, as soon as the store was removed they left the guy alone).

As for installing it yourself, yeah you could just do that, might be a way to access it in browser too

reggie

Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:14 am

It's pretty simple to install gplay and all of the google apps on any android device once it's rooted, just google gapps :D

Return to “Android”