FortKnocks

Does Android support mean Netflix?

Sat May 28, 2016 10:45 pm

Disclaimer: I tried searching for this question on the forum and didn't find it, but I'm new around here, so maybe I missed something...

Anyway, in case this hasn't been asked 100 times already, the latest news is that Raspberry Pi 3 will be getting official Android support. Does this mean that Netflix will be able to run on R-Pi with Android? Or does Android support not necessarily mean that the DRM issue will be solved?

I haven't been able to find this answer in any of the articles or other forums. I currently use an Amazon Fire TV for my Netflix / emulation / media center box, but I'd love to replace it with a Raspberry Pi 3. Netflix is currently the only obstacle!

Thanks for any info!

gkreidl

Re: Does Android support mean Netflix?

Sun May 29, 2016 4:12 am

The news are based on the discovery any empty Google repository, which means development hasn't even started yet. Vacuum ware.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

fruitoftheloom

Sun May 29, 2016 4:15 am

FortKnocks wrote:Disclaimer: I tried searching for this question on the forum and didn't find it, but I'm new around here, so maybe I missed something...

Anyway, in case this hasn't been asked 100 times already, the latest news is that Raspberry Pi 3 will be getting official Android support. Does this mean that Netflix will be able to run on R-Pi with Android? Or does Android support not necessarily mean that the DRM issue will be solved?

I haven't been able to find this answer in any of the articles or other forums. I currently use an Amazon Fire TV for my Netflix / emulation / media center box, but I'd love to replace it with a Raspberry Pi 3. Netflix is currently the only obstacle!

Thanks for any info!
Yes was discussed this last week here: viewtopic.php?f=63&t=149412
Adieu

ghans

Sun May 29, 2016 7:13 am

I don't see any proof that

1) this is not solely related to Brillo
2) Brillo will be not the same thing to Android as Windows
"IoT core" is to Windows Home Edition - i.e.
two radically different things built on the same kernel

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

Return to “Android”