arm2

Android / Debian Pros & Cons

Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:02 pm

I'm a Linux newbie and don't expect to get into Linux at the compiling level (Like I suspect most Pi users will be!) What are the Pros & Cons between using Android & Debian on the Raspberry Pi?

wussie

Re: Android / Debian Pros & Cons

Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:55 pm

Android is an awesome operating system, with many choices for programs you can run and use. It does have it's downsides however. It's still largely a mobile is, so document creation can be like pulling teeth, or basically anything you might want to do with a reguy desktop computer. Debian, or any of the other Linux variants ported for the Pi are full desktop operating systems, as such can be more useful in an office type situation. If all you plan on doing is light web surfing, emails, and watching streaming video, I'd recommend Android to you. If you plan on using your Pi in a more traditional desktop role I'd recommend Linux. For a newbie they both will have their learning curves, but Android may be slightly easier to pick up to someone more accustomed to just point and click of modern user oriented operating systems. This is just my opinion on the matter and should be taken with a grain of salt, I'd recommend trying both for a week or two and seeing which you want.

arm2

Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:21 pm

Thanks Wussie just the sort of info I needed!
Is ICS less or more memory hungry than say Debian?

Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:12 pm

ICS is more resource intensive I think, for now anyway.

jdbennet

Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:33 pm

More. Much more.

A basic debian system (i.e. a debootstrapped cli system) will use a mere 10-20mb of memory when idle.

ratherDashing

Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:08 pm

Sort of apples and oranges. ICS is running a full GUI environment. If you fire up X and LXDE you won't be using 10-20 megs any more.

They are both useful for two different reason. If you want to browse the web and do things that you could do on a mobile phone, Android will probably be your best option as it's been carefully tweaked for that purpose.

If you want to use the pi as a server, then Debian will be your best option as it's a widely used server OS. Also, if you want to use a specific Linux program, Debian will be your best bet because someone out there has a source .deb that you can (hopefully) compile on your Pi if the package isn't already in the repo.

Both great options. Buy two SD cards, you won't have to choose.

clashcityrocker

Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:23 pm

jdbennet wrote:More. Much more.

A basic debian system (i.e. a debootstrapped cli system) will use a mere 10-20mb of memory when idle.
Errm Android has a UI.... Not really comparing like for like. It's like comparing the weight of a car without a body to a proper car....

Return to “Android”