Woll

Android Board Hat

Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:39 am

It seems that from the forum there is a desire for Android on the Raspberry Pi.
And from the answer's to the Android question, its not compatible with the Pi's ARM processor.

So why not have a Android board or Hat that has a Snap Dragon or what ever Android uses processor and transfer the data into a format RPI's ARM processor can use? You could even have this as a USB stick.

If there really has been 6, 7 or 8 million Raspberry Pi sales then this would be a run away success. Why doesn't adafruit manufacture one of these?
Who ate all the Pi's? Who ate all the Pi's?
Boris Johnson, Boris Johnson,
Who ate all the Pi's?

Douglas6

Re: Android Board Hat

Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:06 am

If you have an Android processor, what would the Pi be for? Adafruit deals in peripherals and AVR chips. If you want Android, look elsewhere.

W. H. Heydt

Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:16 am

Woll wrote: If there really has been 6, 7 or 8 million Raspberry Pi sales then this would be a run away success. Why doesn't adafruit manufacture one of these?
In spite of the periodic posts asking for Android on the Pi (as as I understand it, some people have worked on a port, possibly with some degree of success), it's not clear that there is all that much demand out there. There are a number of small SBCs, even some at the same price as the Pi, that claim to run Android. They haven't been "runaway sucesses", so there is no particular reason to think that adding the cost of an entire additional SoC on top of a Pi would be particularly successful.

DougieLawson

Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:19 am

Woll wrote:It seems that from the forum there is a desire for Android on the Raspberry Pi.
Not on here.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/android-rpi

Don't expect any miracles, don't expect high performance, don't expect any support.
Note:The use of baseball bats for educational purposes is completely disallowed on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

fruitoftheloom

Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:33 am

Woll wrote:It seems that from the forum there is a desire for Android on the Raspberry Pi.
I would definitely not agree with that, considering that in nearly 4 years no one has implemented a fully 100% working version, a £40 Tablet or Phablet is a better option if need Android:

http://www.geekbuying.com/item/Chuwi-Vi ... 58567.html

I do not believe a HAT can overcome your desire for Android :D
Adieu

mikerr

Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:55 am

And from the answer's to the Android question, its not compatible with the Pi's ARM processor.

So why not have a Android board or Hat that has a Snap Dragon or what ever Android uses processor and transfer the data into a format RPI's ARM processor can use?
The ARM processor (CPU) isn't the problem - the issue is lack of accelerated graphics driver (GPU)
That's alot of software work (time & money) - and the foundation's view seems to have been that android doesn't bring much educational value to the pi.

There is work going on by a few people at the google groups link dougie posted, but its slow progress.
Android app - Raspi Card Imager - download and image SD cards - No PC required !

Woll

Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:01 pm

This text is from Wikipedia 'The Snapdragon central processing unit (CPU) uses the ARM RISC instruction set.'
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qualcomm_Snapdragon
Would a Snapdragon hat running Android, which then converts the data into something the Pi can understand work. Since its ARM based. I've seen 4k TV's advertised which are Android based.
Who ate all the Pi's?

fruitoftheloom

Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:05 pm

Woll wrote:This text is from Wikipedia 'The Snapdragon central processing unit (CPU) uses the ARM RISC instruction set.'
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qualcomm_Snapdragon
Would a Snapdragon hat running Android, which then converts the data into something the Pi can understand work. Since its ARM based. I've seen 4k TV's advertised which are Android based.
Why not just buy a SBC which runs Android 5.x ?

The cost and complexity of a HAT would far outweigh the actual benefits,
can you not except Android-Pi will not happen anytime soon ?
Adieu

hippy

Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:42 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:can you not except Android-Pi will not happen anytime soon ?
I guess it's that Android was so close to happening, could happen, is what has people who want Android hoping it will happen and looking at other ways to make it happen.

Though lack of accelerated graphics is often cited as the reason Android is not being pursued, that did not seem to be the case earlier ...

"Hardware-accelerated graphics and video have been up and running smoothly for some time; AudioFlinger support is the only major missing piece at the moment".

https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/android-4-0-is-coming

karrika

Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:50 pm

Actually the combination of Android phone/tablet and Pi+WiFi is working really well. There is many ways to have a headless Pi export the gui over www or osc. The QLC+ works this way (over www) for me.

The strength of an Android phone is that it is always in your pocket. The strength of the Pi is in the hardware connectivity. The combination is pretty awesome. But I see no advantage in porting the Android software to the Pi.

fruitoftheloom

Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:04 pm

hippy wrote:
fruitoftheloom wrote:can you not except Android-Pi will not happen anytime soon ?
I guess it's that Android was so close to happening, could happen, is what has people who want Android hoping it will happen and looking at other ways to make it happen.

Though lack of accelerated graphics is often cited as the reason Android is not being pursued, that did not seem to be the case earlier ...

"Hardware-accelerated graphics and video have been up and running smoothly for some time; AudioFlinger support is the only major missing piece at the moment".

https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/android-4-0-is-coming
I was under the impression the Android 4 Port was undertaken by Broadcom Engineers and Broadcom were not prepared to release, but I am likely wrong.......

This implementation uses a different kernel and VideoCore binary image from the one available on GitHub, which is why we’ve been keeping quiet about it so far.
Adieu

mikerr

Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:39 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:
I was under the impression the Android 4 Port was undertaken by Broadcom Engineers and Broadcom were not prepared to release, but I am likely wrong.......
IMO the RPF backtracked after that post and decided they didn't want android on the pi, as it doesn't fit the same educational aims that linux does.

(so stopped any further time / effort /money on development)
Android app - Raspi Card Imager - download and image SD cards - No PC required !

hippy

Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:07 pm

karrika wrote:The strength of an Android phone is that it is always in your pocket. The strength of the Pi is in the hardware connectivity. The combination is pretty awesome. But I see no advantage in porting the Android software to the Pi.
Android isn't just about phone or tablet; I would like to use a Pi as an Android PC replacement. I would rather give my money to the Foundation and help further their educational goals than give it to someone else who won't.

We have to accept the Foundation no longer has any enthusiasm or interest in anything Android but that won't make the desire for having Android go away.

jackokring

Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:13 pm

HDMI Android dongle with builtin WiFi?
Pi[NFA]=B256R0USB CL4SD8GB Raspbian Stock.
Pi[Work]=A+256 CL4SD8GB Raspbian Stock.
My favourite constant 1.65056745028

Woll

Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:34 pm

hippy wrote:
karrika wrote:The strength of an Android phone is that it is always in your pocket. The strength of the Pi is in the hardware connectivity. The combination is pretty awesome. But I see no advantage in porting the Android software to the Pi.
Android isn't just about phone or tablet; I would like to use a Pi as an Android PC replacement. I would rather give my money to the Foundation and help further their educational goals than give it to someone else who won't.

We have to accept the Foundation no longer has any enthusiasm or interest in anything Android but that won't make the desire for having Android go away.
I agree, I've seen on Android Authority that they are planning an Android laptop stroke large Tablet with attachable keyboard for $600. With the versatility of the Raspberry Pi this who be excellent for makers everywhere if Android was available as you could make a Raspbian based computer with added Android apps cheaper and better.

Plus Android apps can be educational too. I would like to see it happen. But I would have thought that a hardwired hat would be better than a software solution if there's been technical problems running Android on a Pi.
Who ate all the Pi's?

fruitoftheloom

Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:48 pm

Woll wrote:
hippy wrote:

I agree, I've seen on Android Authority that they are planning an Android laptop stroke large Tablet with attachable keyboard for $600. With the versatility of the Raspberry Pi this who be excellent for makers everywhere if Android was available as you could make a Raspbian based computer with added Android apps cheaper and better.

Plus Android apps can be educational too. I would like to see it happen. But I would have thought that a hardwired hat would be better than a software solution if there's been technical problems running Android on a Pi.
........as per the nearly 4 year old post showed, Android can run on the RPi, but obviously Broadcom are not prepared to OpenSource the development they undertook as is their perogative, maybe offer them a few million for a license and see what they say..
Adieu

hippy

Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:04 pm

Or hope the community can come up with a solution. Which seems to be the most likely way forward if Broadcom aren't willing to help ...

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/android-rpi

Return to “Android”