sidlab1584

Raspberry Pi 4B shutsdown automatically when HDMI is unlugged

Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:44 am

Hello All,

I've installed Lineage OS on raspberry PI 4 B . Every-time I unplug the HDMI cable , it shuts down . It doesn't boot up unless there is a HDMI cable plugged in to a monitor. Idk whats happening ?. I would appreciate some help.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Raspberry Pi 4B shutsdown automatically when HDMI is unlugged

Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:57 am

What happens with a normal Raspberry Pi OS installation?
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Working in the Application's Team.

bjtheone

Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:37 pm

It might be a Lineage OS issue, or some sort of grounding issue. I run RPiOS Lite with Mate on a 4B 8GB and RPiOS Desktop on a 4B 4GB. Both boot headless without issue and have no problems with HDMI disconnects and reconnects when running. I often swap HDMI connections around, since I only have 1 large monitor (with a single HDMI input) and want the screen real estate for a work laptop when I am editing spreadsheets.

Konsta

Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:12 pm

This forum already has existing topics to discuss each version LineageOS on the Raspberry Pi 4 (e.g. LineageOS 18: viewtopic.php?f=73&t=297349&sid=a7e65a2 ... 59328ee66e). Please use the existing thread for discussion instead of opening new ones. Having all the related discussion in one place helps users who like to read before asking or know how to use the forum's search function to find answers for any possible issues they're facing. Thank you.

You would also find this already discussed on this forum. Android builds on the Pi use KMS driver which relies on EDID information from connected HDMI device to configure the display. No, your device doesn't shut down but Android graphics drivers crash if you unplug the HDMI (and keep crashing until you reconnect it). You can also see this from Android system logs (logcat).

If you want to test if you can replicate similar results on Raspberry Pi OS you would need to switch to using KMS first (i.e. change 'dtoverlay=vc4-fkms-v3d' to 'dtoverlay=vc4-kms-v3d' in config.txt).
KonstaKANG.com

jamesh

Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:11 pm

There have been recent changes to this area in KMS, might be worth updating.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Working in the Application's Team.

Konsta

Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:00 pm

jamesh wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:11 pm
There have been recent changes to this area in KMS, might be worth updating.
Yes, I'm aware there's various KMS updates in 5.10 kernel. However, 5.4 is the newest kernel version that is supported with Android 11. 5.10 will be supported with Android 12 but that's still quite a few months away.
KonstaKANG.com

Return to “Android”