Konsta

Re: [DEV] LineageOS 18.1 (Android 11) for Raspberry Pi 4 B

Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:33 am

jacob.kruger.work wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:34 am
Konsta, firstly, thank you very much for your efforts.

Now, to explain where am coming from, here is my form of a progress report in terms of trying to get this version of lineage running on a raspberry pi 4b 8Gb model, in fully accessible mode:
http://blindza.co.za/lineage/index.php

One remaining question - have otherwise gotten it up and running, and operating more or less perfectly in terms of interaction, having talkback screenreader - android accessibility suite - reading out feedback to me, using various voices, etc., but, while the stock camera app just crashes, the one primary reason tried this in the first place - Augmented reality for the blind - the vOICe for android - https://seeingwithsound.com/android.htm - actually runs well enough, but, with slightly different reaction times to camera scene changes, depending on different USB cameras, and - half of my reason for posting this response - is that the latest test camera, which is an endoscope camera, seems to respond better if it's connected to one of the USB 2 ports - makes some sense if it's just a USB 2 device, and then doesn't ask the unit to handle any additional processing if operating via USB 3, but, while this piece of software works quite well, some other pieces of AI-based object and text recognition software I have tried out just seem to lock up, or just provide no feedback.

Some of them make background use of online requests, so, while I currently have the unit tethered to a mobile hotspot, via wifi, I could expect that to provide an additional lag, but, for example, even if I ask some of them to process an image file off the storage, then they might bomb out, which makes me think it's not just related to requesting camera input?

In other words, is it possible that either whatever form of GPU-type processing is taking place, or lineage's own framework could be causing image processing issues?

Besides that, would you guys possibly recommend working with a fully wireless, bluetooth keyboard while I have the camera connected to USB socket, to make it provide even more processing power, and, one more question is, what if I want to offer, or work with microphone voice input - besides tethering hardware to GPIO pins, etc., I would fully expect attaching something like an external USB audio adapter to cause even more hassles?

Part of the reason am asking about all these simple plug-and-play options will make sense if you check out my report page - am trying to figure out a way to offer guys a cheap, easy way to put together a relatively simple and portable form of all-in-one assisstive technology gadget that doesn't necessarily require them to walk around with an android handset in their one hand, etc. ;)

Jacob
Cameras on Android are a bit tricky because they also interact with graphics drivers for memory allocation, etc. Again a kind reminder that Raspberry Pi is not an Android device to begin with so there's no support from the chipset/device manufacturer (Broadcom/Pi Foundation) what comes to Android specific hardware drivers (hw graphics acceleration, hw video dec/enc, camera, etc). Yes, there's still various issues with the camera and it's listed under known issues. Camera performance depends on the app and the stock camera app is not currently working.

I'm not aware of any reason why there would be difference whether you use USB 2.0 or 3.0 port. Different UVC cameras might support different resolutions and use different pixel formats. I've included v4l2-ctl tool in latest releases you can use to dig some information from the connected camera (e.g. 'v4l2-ctl -d /dev/video0 --all').

IMO regular Android phone/tablet is probably better suited for your use case what comes to portability/size/battery life/etc. Recent Android devices should also support USB webcams but that depends on if the device manufacturer has implemented the external camera HAL (https://source.android.com/devices/came ... sb-cameras).
KonstaKANG.com

jacob.kruger.work

Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:07 am

Thanks.

I was also considering just looking at something like the unihertz jelly pro handset, since it's more or less the smallest full-featured android handset, but, primary idea is availability and cost for most guys.

Also, people would prefer to have the least obvious usage implementation, which is where something like the endoscope camera comes into play.

Anyway, issue is just that while most production android handsets will allow you to make use of an external camera, usage seems limited, and, there seems to be no way to set any one of them as the primary or default camera easily, which is why was trying out the raspberry pi implementation, but, yes, your response makes sense with regards to graphic processing power, etc.

So, think am going to, for now, carry on testing/trying out a couple of different things and pieces of software, etc.

Jacob

Konsta

Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:35 am

New build.
https://konstakang.com/devices/rpi4/LineageOS18/

-add initial support for HDMI-CEC
-add built-in VNC server
-update to Mesa 21.0.2
-update to Linux 5.4.111 kernel and patch known vulnerabilities (CVE-xxxx-xxxx, and more)
-Android security patch level: 5 April 2021 (merged)
KonstaKANG.com

DrakeGD

Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:04 pm

Konsta wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:27 pm
bob.peru78 wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:16 am
do anybody have a way to run argonone case script for pi4 on this machine??
Generally speaking you can't use scripts/drivers that are meant for regular Linux distros because Android doesn't have things like Linux package management, systemd, python, etc.

I don't remember the specifics about Argon script but someone contacted Argon and they referenced this (https://github.com/Argon40Tech/Argon-ONE-i2c-Codes). There was a discussion how to use this with I2C tools included in Android builds (http://disq.us/p/2dqzkga).
the discussion that "concludes" how to do this is very narrow and hard to understand, has someone made an actual guide for novice users of android to get the argon case fan working and maybe even the ir for remote control and the power button ? seems like the perfect case match for the android 11 tv build, if the features for the case can be set that is.

Exergist

Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:34 pm

Exergist wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:08 pm
Konsta wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:46 am
Exergist wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:13 am
Unfortunately I had to replace my 4K touchscreen monitor I was using previously with Lineage. The new one I purchased does not inherently offer 2560x1440p resolution via the typical GUI in Raspberry Pi OS, and in LineageOS 18.1 2560x1440p is missing as well. Both OS do show 3840x2160 and a variety of 1080p as options. 2560x1440p works fine in Windows 10.

I tried changing /boot/resolution.txt for Lineage to 2560x1440, but the Pi never makes it to the LineageOS logo (seems to freeze up prior to getting there).

I looked around and found this post (viewtopic.php?t=280976), which offered a potential way to force 2560x1440p in Raspberry Pi OS. After some fiddling in config.txt I was able to add the following to make 2560x1440p work on my new 4K touchscreen:

Code: Select all

# uncomment to force a specific HDMI mode (this will force VGA)
hdmi_group=2
hdmi_mode=88
hdmi_cvt=2560 1440 58 3 0 0

Is there a way to do something similar in LineageOS 18.1 (or even 17.1)?
This build uses KMS driver with hw accelerated graphics vs. firmware/fake KMS (FKMS) e.g. Raspberry Pi OS uses. hdmi_* options in /boot/config.txt have no effect with KMS driver. Instead it relies on the EDID information from the connected HDMI display to configure the graphics output. Settings -> System -> Advanced settings -> Display resolution shows the resolutions your display reports it supports. /boot/resolution.txt only works to force one of these supported resolutions.

Other options with KMS include creating a custom EDID file (https://github.com/lineage-rpi/android_ ... ation/EDID) and using cmdline parameter to use it (drm.edid_firmware=edid/your_edid.bin). This has some drawbacks e.g. it breaks audio over HDM and you need to compile the kernel to include the EDID file.

I seem to have found a (hardware) solution to my problem. I purchased a 4K HDMI EDID emulator (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07YM ... UTF8&psc=1) and attached it to my Pi. This provided additional resolution options to select in LineageOS.

Full transparency though, IIRC the emulator's additional resolutions (like 2560x1440p) didn't work with LineageOS initially. Not long after I tried out Chromium OS with my Pi (https://github.com/FydeOS/chromium_os-r ... i/releases) and it had the same issue with limited resolutions, but the EDID emulator worked to expand the options with zero issues. Shortly thereafter I re-tried LineageOS (only changing out the SD card and modifying nothing else), and things started working at 1440p. I don't have a good explanation for what I did to "fix" the situation with LineageOS (and I don't want to mess with things since it's working now). Perhaps changing the location of the emulator in my video chain fixed it, or maybe somehow using Chromium OS gave the emulator a kick in the pants (doubtful though).

Regardless, the EDID emulator works now with LineageOS and I'm very pleased to have 1440p functionality (which works quite well with LineageOS 18.1 on the Pi 4 8GB).

Well, I needed to change around my Raspberry Pi setup...and of course now I cannot seem to replicate the success I previously had with making my Raspberry Pi 4 work at 2560x1440p with an HDMI EDID emulator and a 4K screen that is missing 2560x1440 EDID information. I can still select 2560x1440p in the Advanced Options menu, but upon restart I never make it to the Lineage logo (though I can still toggle Numlock and receive feedback from my keyboard, which makes me think Lineage isn't locked up). Note that I'm using Lineage OS 18.1 20210214.

The emulator is this one (https://www.amazon.com/EVanlak-Passthro ... B07YMTMMH5). Looking back now my theory that interacting with the EDID emulator through Chromium OS on my PI somehow "flipped a switch" indeed seems poor. I'd more readily believe there was something in the config.txt file that I set that somehow made things work and I didn't realize it.

@konstakang do you have any ideas for config.txt settings that might assist with the my configuration I described above? Also where can I find a listing of the default config.txt settings?

-------

EDIT: I believe I found a repeatable solution. Check out my explanation here (viewtopic.php?f=73&t=297349&p=1852240#p1852240).
Last edited by Exergist on Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

Exergist

Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:44 pm

Exergist wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:34 pm
Exergist wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:08 pm
Konsta wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:46 am

This build uses KMS driver with hw accelerated graphics vs. firmware/fake KMS (FKMS) e.g. Raspberry Pi OS uses. hdmi_* options in /boot/config.txt have no effect with KMS driver. Instead it relies on the EDID information from the connected HDMI display to configure the graphics output. Settings -> System -> Advanced settings -> Display resolution shows the resolutions your display reports it supports. /boot/resolution.txt only works to force one of these supported resolutions.

Other options with KMS include creating a custom EDID file (https://github.com/lineage-rpi/android_ ... ation/EDID) and using cmdline parameter to use it (drm.edid_firmware=edid/your_edid.bin). This has some drawbacks e.g. it breaks audio over HDM and you need to compile the kernel to include the EDID file.

I seem to have found a (hardware) solution to my problem. I purchased a 4K HDMI EDID emulator (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07YM ... UTF8&psc=1) and attached it to my Pi. This provided additional resolution options to select in LineageOS.

Full transparency though, IIRC the emulator's additional resolutions (like 2560x1440p) didn't work with LineageOS initially. Not long after I tried out Chromium OS with my Pi (https://github.com/FydeOS/chromium_os-r ... i/releases) and it had the same issue with limited resolutions, but the EDID emulator worked to expand the options with zero issues. Shortly thereafter I re-tried LineageOS (only changing out the SD card and modifying nothing else), and things started working at 1440p. I don't have a good explanation for what I did to "fix" the situation with LineageOS (and I don't want to mess with things since it's working now). Perhaps changing the location of the emulator in my video chain fixed it, or maybe somehow using Chromium OS gave the emulator a kick in the pants (doubtful though).

Regardless, the EDID emulator works now with LineageOS and I'm very pleased to have 1440p functionality (which works quite well with LineageOS 18.1 on the Pi 4 8GB).

Well, I needed to change around my Raspberry Pi setup...and of course now I cannot seem to replicate the success I previously had with making my Raspberry Pi 4 work at 2560x1440p with an HDMI EDID emulator and a 4K screen that is missing 2560x1440 EDID information. I can still select 2560x1440p in the Advanced Options menu, but upon restart I never make it to the Lineage logo (though I can still toggle Numlock and receive feedback from my keyboard, which makes me think Lineage isn't locked up). Note that I'm using Lineage OS 18.1 20210214.

The emulator is this one (https://www.amazon.com/EVanlak-Passthro ... B07YMTMMH5). Looking back now my theory that interacting with the EDID emulator through Chromium OS on my PI somehow "flipped a switch" indeed seems poor. I'd more readily believe there was something in the config.txt file that I set that somehow made things work and I didn't realize it.

@konstakang do you have any ideas for config.txt settings that might assist with the my configuration I described above? Also where can I find a listing of the default config.txt settings?

I believe I found a repeatable solution. Check out my explanation here (viewtopic.php?f=73&t=297349&p=1852240#p1852240).
Last edited by Exergist on Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:50 am, edited 4 times in total.

Exergist

Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:18 pm

To try and minimize clutter, I'm going to make a new post that is a consolidation and continuation of a line of thoughts from some of my previous posts. You may review those posts here (viewtopic.php?f=73&t=297349&p=1851440#p1852117). Hopefully folks with similar situations will benefit from my experimentation and findings.

--------------------------------------------

The Situation
I have a 4K display that doesn't offer 2560x1440p as a selectable display resolution for Raspberry Pi OS and Lineage 18.1 on my Raspberry Pi 4B 8GB. More specifically, my 4K display does not have EDID for 2560x1440.

The lack of 2560x1440 EDID doesn't prevent outputting at this resolution in Windows 10, however there are operating systems for the Raspberry Pi (like Raspberry Pi OS and Lineage 18.1) that rely on the connected display's broadcasted EDID. In other words, some Raspberry Pi operating systems will only offer options for and output at resolutions reported by the connected display's EDID.

The Problem
How to "force" the Raspberry Pi (for certain operating systems) to output at a resolution that is NOT reported by the connected display's EDID?

My Solutions
I only tested these solutions for Raspberry Pi OS and Lineage OS 18.1 (version 20210214) on a Raspberry Pi 4B 8GB. Your results may vary for different operating systems and Raspberry Pi versions.

Solution 1
Create a custom resolution via configuration file, which worked for me for Raspberry Pi OS.

I looked around and found this post (viewtopic.php?t=280976), which offered a potential way to force 2560x1440p in Raspberry Pi OS. It basically involves tweaking the /boot/config.txt file to add a "custom" resolution.

For my hardware configuration, the following worked for me:

# uncomment to force a specific HDMI mode (this will force VGA)
hdmi_group=2
hdmi_mode=88

Upon booting Raspberry Pi OS the resolution was indeed 2560x1440p @ ~58 Hz. I'm guessing you'll have to play around with the hdmi_group, hdmi_mode, and hdmi_cvt values depending on your configuration. I found, however, that I could no longer change the resolution from within the operating system (i.e., it was "fixed" until I either modified the hdmi_cvt values and rebooted or removed the above code from config.txt and rebooted).

Solution 2
Use an EDID emulator in the video chain between the Raspberry Pi and the display. The simplest EDID emulators have their own stored EDID "modes" (like 2560x1440@60Hz), while others may also have the ability to "learn" (i.e., copy) the EDID of the attached display. The emulator reports its stored EDID to the Pi. So basically the EDID emulator "spoofs" any missing/desired EDID that the display may lack.

For some Pi operating systems (like Raspberry Pi OS), you only need to employ the EDID emulator to get additional resolution options to be selectable. I was able to immediately select from all the various resolutions reported by my emulator from within the operating system. Note, however, that this was only one part of the solution for Lineage 18.1 (See Solution 3).

For the sake of completeness, I'll talk about my setup with the EDID emulator.
  • I plugged the male end of the emulator directly into the HDMI 0 port of my Argon ONE V2 case (which contains my Raspberry Pi and convert's the Pi's micro-HDMI to full-size HDMI).
  • I plugged an HDMI cable (HDMI Cable #1) into the female end of the emulator.
  • HDMI Cable #1 was then attached to an input of a 2-port KVM switch.
  • Another HDMI cable (HDMI Cable #2) connects the output port of the KVM switch to a full-size HDMI to mini-HDMI adapter.
  • The HDMI adapter plugs into my 4K display.
Solution 3
Create a custom resolution via configuration file(s) AND use an EDID emulator (combine Solutions 1 and 2)

This is how I was able to repeatably get Lineage OS 18.1 to output a 2560x1440p signal to a display that was missing 2560x1440p EDID:
  • Modify the Lineage OS resolution.txt file as:

2560x1440
  • Include the following within the Lineage OS config.txt file's "# Display" section:

hdmi_force_hotplug=1
hdmi_group=2
hdmi_mode=88
(again, you will have to play with the values of hdmi_group, hdmi_mode, and hdmi_cvt depending on your configuration)
  • Place a (4K) HDMI EDID emulator in the Raspberry Pi - display video chain (as described in Solution 2)
The result is Lineage OS boots and maintains 2560x1440p on my display :)
I can also freely switch to different display resolutions (ones that are reported by my monitor's EDID) and back to the "forced" 2560x1440p from within Lineage OS (plus reboot of course).

Some Comments:
  • Konsta did reply to me (viewtopic.php?f=73&t=297349&start=25#p1835453) that adjusting the "# Display" settings as described above would not yield the desired result, but it seems that combining the adjusted "# Display" settings AND adding an appropriate HDMI EDID emulator does the trick. If I remove any of the adjusted "# Display" settings I cannot reach the Lineage OS logo screen.
  • The presence of my KVM switch in the video chain might have implications for how Solution 3 (and maybe the other Solutions as well?) works. I did observe that my KVM (which is powered by 5V USB) seems to "boost" the HDMI signal (without it I have difficulty booting into Raspberry Pi OS or Lineage OS). Though this could also be dependent on the HDMI cables I'm using, my 4K display's sensitivity to weaker HDMI signals, or perhaps the resolution I'm trying to display (I'm not sure).
Hopefully this (long) explanation is helpful for others! :D

Exergist

Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:45 am

I recently posted about an issue getting my Raspberry Pi 4 to provide a strong enough HDMI signal for display on one of my Dell U2417H monitors (viewtopic.php?f=28&t=309336&p=1852245#p1852245). In the end the solution that worked for me was to insert a HDMI repeater into the Pi-to-display video chain.

However I also discovered that when the HDMI repeater is combined with a HDMI EDID emulator (read more about my experience with that here viewtopic.php?f=73&t=297349&p=1852240#p1852240) there is an added benefit that the monitor may be disconnected from the Pi (i.e., unplug HDMI cable, turn off connected display, etc.) without causing Lineage OS 18.1 to crash.

You can find the info for the HDMI repeater and HDMI EDID emulator I used in the above linked posts. I connect my hardware as follows (and I've found the connection order matters for my configuration):

Raspberry Pi ==> HDMI Repeater ==> HDMI EDID Emulator ==> Display

The HDMI EDID emulator (or at least the model I'm using) basically "spoofs" the Pi into thinking a display is always connected. I can only guess how the HDMI repeater adds to the functionality (maybe the emulator needs more power than the Pi provides via HDMI to operate in a "headless" mode?), but the "avoid crashing when disconnecting HDMI" benefit only appears when the repeater is present in the above configuration.

Hopefully my findings are helpful for others! :)

nenhumdenos

Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:53 am

Hi,

I am trying on a RPi 4B 4GB here and after reading here and the FAQ, I tried to remove the resolution.txt file. I get a bit further in the boot process (the FAQ says about just the rainbow screen, here I have an initial Lineage arch and the circle on it, but it moves 2 or 3 times and I loose video signal) and then nothing else. If I leave the resolution.txt I can't even see the Lineage Logo. Without it it appears and the TV says its 1080p resolution.

My RPi4B works on the Lineage 16 ATV image, using the default 1280x720 resolution. I tried it on 17.1 and 18.1 ATV images, no good :(
Using on two different Samsung TV's here. Both fail.

Any hints I can follow?

Using Lineage 16 ATV for now, hoping to use 18.1 FullHD :)

Thanks,

nenhumdenos

Konsta

Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:48 am

DrakeGD wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:04 pm
the discussion that "concludes" how to do this is very narrow and hard to understand, has someone made an actual guide for novice users of android to get the argon case fan working and maybe even the ir for remote control and the power button ? seems like the perfect case match for the android 11 tv build, if the features for the case can be set that is.
Why not write one? I don't have the hardware so I can't obviously do it.
Exergist wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:18 pm
Some Comments:
  • Konsta did reply to me (viewtopic.php?f=73&t=297349&start=25#p1835453) that adjusting the "# Display" settings as described above would not yield the desired result, but it seems that combining the adjusted "# Display" settings AND adding an appropriate HDMI EDID emulator does the trick. If I remove any of the adjusted "# Display" settings I cannot reach the Lineage OS logo screen.
Hopefully this (long) explanation is helpful for others! :D
Thank you for your long and thorough report on this (almost needed a TLDR; ;)).

I still find it a bit strange that the hdmi_* options in /boot/config.txt would have any effect. Still good to know you got this sorted and hopefully this helps other people with similar issues as well.
nenhumdenos wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:53 am
Hi,

I am trying on a RPi 4B 4GB here and after reading here and the FAQ, I tried to remove the resolution.txt file. I get a bit further in the boot process (the FAQ says about just the rainbow screen, here I have an initial Lineage arch and the circle on it, but it moves 2 or 3 times and I loose video signal) and then nothing else. If I leave the resolution.txt I can't even see the Lineage Logo. Without it it appears and the TV says its 1080p resolution.

My RPi4B works on the Lineage 16 ATV image, using the default 1280x720 resolution. I tried it on 17.1 and 18.1 ATV images, no good :(
Using on two different Samsung TV's here. Both fail.

Any hints I can follow?

Using Lineage 16 ATV for now, hoping to use 18.1 FullHD :)

Thanks,

nenhumdenos
Does not seem like any issue I've heard of before. LineageOS 17 & 18 builds use KMS driver with hw accelerated graphics and it uses EDID information for the connected HDMI display to configure the display.
KonstaKANG.com

ronnyvdbr

Fri May 14, 2021 11:21 am

Konsta, first of all, nice work, build seems to be working swiftly.
I'm running your build currently on an rpi4 with hdmi sound, but would like my sound to go to my digital optical receiver.

I am using a hifiberry digi hat for this purpose.

After uncommenting the dtoverlay line, and changing it as follows:

dtoverlay=hifiberry-digi

And then adjusting the advanced parameters in the gui for sound to hifiberry dac, I wasn't able to get any sound via the hifiberry digi.

Do you have any idea as to why this should be the case?

Konsta

Sun May 16, 2021 1:09 pm

ronnyvdbr wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 11:21 am
Konsta, first of all, nice work, build seems to be working swiftly.
I'm running your build currently on an rpi4 with hdmi sound, but would like my sound to go to my digital optical receiver.

I am using a hifiberry digi hat for this purpose.

After uncommenting the dtoverlay line, and changing it as follows:

dtoverlay=hifiberry-digi

And then adjusting the advanced parameters in the gui for sound to hifiberry dac, I wasn't able to get any sound via the hifiberry digi.

Do you have any idea as to why this should be the case?
You need to reboot your device after changing the audio device settings.

There should be all necessary kernel drivers enabled for all Hifiberry DACs. Check 'dmesg' output booting the device that your DAC is registered as ALSA device. My builds also include ALSA tools (tinypcminfo/tinymix/etc) that you can use to dig some useful information.
KonstaKANG.com

Return to “Android”