CNCharger
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:00 pm

Pi 4 Gaming Laptop with Android

Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:45 am

I am looking at doing a Pi 4B 4GB based android gaming laptop and I need to know what to look for and how much it may cost.

Here is the list of what it needs:
-4K 15.6" Display (found one on Walmart for $75)
-Integrated Keyboard with full tenkey pad and 18 macro keys (like the Lenovo G15 Y-UG75 Keyboards of olde, I have one and its amazing, I suspect I need an Arduino for it)
-Android 10
-Side USB Hubs
-RGB Backlighting
-Custom Casing
-High Quality integrated Speakers, Webcam and Mic

Would a Pi4B work for this, or will I need something else? I just need a list of parts to do all this and how much it will cost before I get the casing.

fruitoftheloom
Posts: 20685
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:40 pm
Location: Delightful Dorset

Re: Pi 4 Gaming Laptop with Android

Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:22 am

CNCharger wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:45 am
I am looking at doing a Pi 4B 4GB based android gaming laptop and I need to know what to look for and how much it may cost.

Here is the list of what it needs:
-4K 15.6" Display (found one on Walmart for $75)
-Integrated Keyboard with full tenkey pad and 18 macro keys (like the Lenovo G15 Y-UG75 Keyboards of olde, I have one and its amazing, I suspect I need an Arduino for it)
-Android 10
-Side USB Hubs
-RGB Backlighting
-Custom Casing
-High Quality integrated Speakers, Webcam and Mic

Would a Pi4B work for this, or will I need something else? I just need a list of parts to do all this and how much it will cost before I get the casing.

There is no Officially Supported Version of Android Operating System.
Retired disgracefully.....

CNCharger
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:00 pm

Re: Pi 4 Gaming Laptop with Android

Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:30 am

can't android be installed on a pi? Android can run on ARM systems and the Pi is an ARM system.

Ok, I found how to install android on a pi so that is no longer a concern. Forget the android thing.

fruitoftheloom
Posts: 20685
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:40 pm
Location: Delightful Dorset

Re: Pi 4 Gaming Laptop with Android

Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:43 am

CNCharger wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:30 am
can't android be installed on a pi? Android can run on ARM systems and the Pi is an ARM system.

That is a very simplistic notion, because the CPU Architecture is the same it must support !!



Not supported by Google, though you may find unofficial releases, but so far not for the 4B, see:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 3&t=247482

There are various other posts in the Android Section of this forum:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewforum.php?f=73
Retired disgracefully.....

CNCharger
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:00 pm

Re: Pi 4 Gaming Laptop with Android

Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:56 am

So I need to do this with the 3B+?

CNCharger
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:00 pm

Re: Pi 4 Gaming Laptop with Android

Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:55 am

I just talked to one of the lineage os guys. Lineage can run on the 4B.

User avatar
Imperf3kt
Posts: 2766
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:16 am
Location: Australia

Re: Pi 4 Gaming Laptop with Android

Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:47 am

It might be easier to use a CM4, should one ever be made. You'll be able to make your design much more compact and suited to an actual laptop than the Pi model B form factor currently offers.
55:55:44:44:4C
52:4C:52:42:41

User avatar
mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 12214
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:19 am
Location: South Holland, The Netherlands

Re: Pi 4 Gaming Laptop with Android

Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:16 pm

CNCharger wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:55 am
I just talked to one of the lineage os guys. Lineage can run on the 4B.
I doubt it can be used as a gaming system.
I doubt it will use GPU acceleration.
I doubt you can use Googles Store, to install games.

I just know you shouldn't use Android on an RPI, but yes, that's just my not so humble opinion.

If they say it "can run" I take that with the same grain of salt as when they say "you can win the lotto".
You "can", it just won't happen, not at least to your satisfaction....

PI's are not meant for this.....

but please, don't let me stop you, you bought it, you decide what to do with it. I'm just trying to temper your expectations... :roll:

moved the thread to where it belongs, the "android section".

:geek: :geek:

CNCharger
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:00 pm

Re: Pi 4 Gaming Laptop with Android

Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:06 pm

@mohjangg thank you for moving the thread.

So, slight change in design, its either going to be an all in one so I don't have to purchase a separate monitor or just a desktop. I will check to see if there are any app stores that can run on lineage for Pi.

I read something about side loading. We have a Quest and sideloading is how we install most stuff onto it, like Alt Space.

CNCharger
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:00 pm

Re: Pi 4 Gaming Laptop with Android

Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:13 pm

Ok, so we got the app store issue out of the way for now. Now here is the nest big issue. How do I incorporate this (https://www.walmart.com/ip/N156DCE-GA1- ... /588712760) into a Pi All in One? This is a 4K display for $75. This will make it so I don't have to buy a separate monitor.

User avatar
thagrol
Posts: 1832
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:41 pm
Location: Darkest Somerset, UK
Contact: Website

Re: Pi 4 Gaming Laptop with Android

Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:37 pm

CNCharger wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:13 pm
Ok, so we got the app store issue out of the way for now. Now here is the nest big issue. How do I incorporate this (https://www.walmart.com/ip/N156DCE-GA1- ... /588712760) into a Pi All in One? This is a 4K display for $75. This will make it so I don't have to buy a separate monitor.
You find a driver board for the screen that can accept HDMI. Good luck with that.
This space unintentionally left blank.

User avatar
Imperf3kt
Posts: 2766
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:16 am
Location: Australia

Re: Pi 4 Gaming Laptop with Android

Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:29 pm

While it's not 4k ('only' FHD) and pretty expensive for a laptop monitor, I would personally suggest a Waveshare screen in a case. You only need to add hinges then.

https://www.waveshare.com/wiki/15.6inch ... with_case)

Comes with a warranty
Guaranteed to work with your Pi (and other hdmi devices)
Includes touchscreen
Easily obtained
Replaceable if you break it
And many other benefits

I do like the IPS version
https://www.waveshare.com/wiki/15.6inch_FHD_Monitor

Of course, at this price range, I could buy an entire commercially available laptop (and have, for cheaper)
55:55:44:44:4C
52:4C:52:42:41

Andyroo
Posts: 4465
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:49 am
Location: Lincs U.K.

Re: Pi 4 Gaming Laptop with Android

Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:52 pm

A guy by the name of theBreadboard on YouTube has just covered using screens on a Pi.

Part one is https://youtu.be/icmp_wuT_dE
and
Part two is https://youtu.be/mHVrsOhccdM

Good luck...
Need Pi spray - these things are breeding in my house...

Return to “Android”