n67

Re: What? no Android support?

Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:23 pm

Two comments:

1) Has anyone actually articulated *WHY* they would want to run Android on the Pi? That would be about the same as running Android on a desktop PC - which I see no point in. Anyway, Android's mostly for things like dating apps and Candy Crush and such things. Not really things that make sense other than on a phone.

2) The point of the Pi is to be a standalone environment. From early on, the guiding principle was that it should be something that a kid can own (outright) and be able to mess up if/when he pleases. These are conditions not true of the family desktop PC. So, having to have a desktop PC as part of the mix (in order to develop for Android) defeats the concept.
"L'enfer, c'est les autres"

If a post offends you, just put that poster on your foes list, and be done with it (and with them).

To do otherwise, risks being banned.

hippy

Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:18 pm

n67 wrote:
1) Has anyone actually articulated *WHY* they would want to run Android on the Pi?
For me it's so I can run my Android apps on a Pi without having to port those to another programming language, framework or OS. Plus it becomes another device on which I can test my Android apps if I choose to.

I don't see wanting to have Android as much different to wanting to have some particular programming language.
n67 wrote:
2) The point of the Pi is to be a standalone environment.
That doesn't mean it can't be used as an Application Engine which is how I am mostly using my Pi, how I would guess half the Pi sold are being used by commercial users, and how many makers and others are using it.

That one can program on a Pi doesn't mean one has to or would necessarily want to. They are just different use cases, equally valid. No one's suggesting people must use Android any more than they must use Windows 10 IoT or anything else. No one is against the Pi being used in the way it was intended.

code_exec

Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:50 pm

No clue why people would wanna run Android on an SBC. The RPi3 costs $35 and was designed to get kids into programming, not run apps that are designed for Android smartphones and tablets. The Kindle Fire doesn't use the Play Store, but is compatible with APKs, and it costs $49. If you want something cheap that runs Android apps, then I'd suggest the Kindle Fire, not the RPi. If you think running Android on the RPi will let you play 3D Android games in good quality, then think again.

Then again, a Raspberry Pi 3 with the official 7" display running a recent version of Android would be good for a basic tablet.
Pi386 lets you run 32-bit x86 software on the Raspberry Pi, including WINE!

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=226376

n67

Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:51 pm

Just to be clear, I have no problem with someone putting together a working version of Android for the Pi.
I'd never use it, of course, but that's just me.

It just seems pretty clear by now that it won't get the stamp of approval from the powers that be.

And, history has shown, that without that stamp of approval, it is hard to get any traction here on this forum - look at all the various Ubuntus that have been floated - and how certain high-volume posters make it their business to pooh-pooh them at every opportunity.

But, again, there's no reason why it couldn't be done. And I'm sure that, eventually, it will be.
"L'enfer, c'est les autres"

If a post offends you, just put that poster on your foes list, and be done with it (and with them).

To do otherwise, risks being banned.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:57 pm

n67 wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:51 pm
Just to be clear, I have no problem with someone putting together a working version of Android for the Pi.
I'd never use it, of course, but that's just me.

It just seems pretty clear by now that it won't get the stamp of approval from the powers that be.

And, history has shown, that without that stamp of approval, it is hard to get any traction here on this forum - look at all the various Ubuntus that have been floated - and how certain high-volume posters make it their business to pooh-pooh them at every opportunity.

But, again, there's no reason why it couldn't be done. And I'm sure that, eventually, it will be.
There's poo pooing, but there is also recomending the RPF suported OS due to it being more up to date, with clearly better support.

People can use whatever OS they like, but I'll still recomend what I believe is the best one for the job.

As for Android getting a 'stamp of approval', I supose we would if it was good enough, but a stamp of approval doesnt mean we will put time in to developing or supporting it. It just means we like it.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Please direct all questions to the forum, I do not do support via PM.

Return to “Android”