Merdok

Finding any Android OS

Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:34 pm

About 8 years ago I was able to find Android 2.4, since then I have not been able to find any Androis OS at all, I would like to know where is the best place to find Android operating systems and what one is the best to us with raspberry pi zero W?

DarkPlatinum

Re: Finding any Android OS

Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:40 pm

Any modern android version will require a pi3 or higher, a RPi zero w does not have enough CPU clock speed and RAM to be able to use android properly. Even the RPi3 struggles with android. Just the basic android OS takes around 375-500 mcb of ram, excluding opening apps and services.

If you have a Pi 3 or later, you can use, Emteria.OS, lineage OS for free.
1 * Raspberry Pi Zero W, 1 * Raspberry Pi 2, 1 * Raspberry Pi 3 1 * Raspberry Pi 3B + :mrgreen:

fruitoftheloom

Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:14 pm

Merdok wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:34 pm
About 8 years ago I was able to find Android 2.4, since then I have not been able to find any Androis OS at all, I would like to know where is the best place to find Android operating systems and what one is the best to us with raspberry pi zero W?

+1 Android Community Releases require a RPi 3B / B+

Also see: https://groups.google.com/forum/m/#!forum/android-rpi
Adieu

Merdok

Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:49 pm

Does this Emteria.OS, lineage OS work with any android apps? Can you tell me a little about them and what makes then good to use?

hippy

Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:58 am

Merdok wrote:
Does this Emteria.OS, lineage OS work with any android apps?
Probably not. But as long as you don't need to use something those versions of Android don't support you should be fine.
Merdok wrote:
Can you tell me a little about them and what makes then good to use?
They are Android. Lineage OS works, is free and appears to comply with Google licensing requirements, and is what I would recommend. There's not a lot more to say AFAICS.

fruitoftheloom

Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:21 pm

Merdok wrote:
Does this Emteria.OS, lineage OS work with any android apps? Can you tell me a little about them and what makes then good to use?

Try it and see as any opinion is subjective.

You may need to sideload Android Apps.
Adieu

DarkPlatinum

Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:47 pm

Merdok wrote:
Emteria OS and lineage OS both require a Pi 3 or later. Emteria OS has a good development group and its on forums if you have any trouble. What I did find that is good about lineage OS is the Bluetooth. It is a bit more stable then the one available on emteria.

Android apps will work on both OSes. you need to either download google play store with gapps, or yalp from the f droid app. Beware that apps that you download need to have a low memory usage as the raspberry Pi can run out of memory easily with memory hogging apps.
1 * Raspberry Pi Zero W, 1 * Raspberry Pi 2, 1 * Raspberry Pi 3 1 * Raspberry Pi 3B + :mrgreen:

DarkPlatinum

Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:49 pm

hippy wrote:
Probably not. But as long as you don't need to use something those versions of Android don't support you should be fine.
No offence but you should try the application out before making comments that say false information.

hippy

Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:20 pm

hippy wrote:
Merdok wrote:
Does this Emteria.OS, lineage OS work with any android apps?
DarkPlatinum wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:49 pm
hippy wrote:
No offence but you should try the application out before making comments that say false information.
Please do tell me what "false information" I am supplying.

DarkPlatinum

Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:35 pm

hippy wrote:
Your statement: "Probably not." This may cause the OP to think differently about what Android platform we are discussing here. ;)

p.s I am not trying to be rude in anyway, just simply stating that you should use the application before making assumptions.

hippy

Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:42 pm

DarkPlatinum wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:35 pm
hippy wrote:
Your statement: "Probably not." This may cause the OP to think differently about what Android platform we are discussing here. ;)
I don't know what to say because what I wrote still seems reasonable to me.

I took "Does this Emteria.OS, lineage OS work with any android apps?" as asking "will all Android Apps run on Emteria.OS and/or lineage OS, function and behave as expected?". The answer to that is a clear "No" when it comes to the Lineage OS I tried. I had a number of apps which run on my phones and tablets but don't behave as expected under the Lineage OS I tried on my Pi 3B.

I don't know about later versions of Lineage OS, and I've never tried the paid-for Emteria OS, but have been informed it's based on Lineage OS so expect it's much the same, but, as I couldn't say for sure, I modified my "No" to a less absolute "Probably not".

To be honest; I could likely have kept with "no, not all apps will run" because there almost certainly is some Android App which doesn't run and behave as expected on a Pi running either. In fact Emteria OS details things which don't work on their web site.
Last edited by hippy on Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DarkPlatinum

Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:45 pm

hippy wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:42 pm
I took "Does this Emteria.OS, lineage OS work with any android apps?" as asking "will all Android Apps run on Emteria.OS and/or lineage OS,
Since you took his/her question this way i think I stand corrected. Sorry if i have been a nuisance to you. :?

hippy

Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:56 pm

DarkPlatinum wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:45 pm
Since you took his/her question this way i think I stand corrected. Sorry if i have been a nuisance to you. :?
No problem. If I do say things which are wrong I don't mind being corrected and being made better informed. That helps me and ultimately everyone else.

Konsta

Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:19 am

There seems to be some mixed information. My LineageOS builds are free, open source, and available on this forum (viewtopic.php?f=73&t=220601 & viewtopic.php?f=73&t=220613). You can ask here, my site, XDA, etc if you have any problems.

emteria.OS is not based on LineageOS AFAIK. It might use some LineageOS apps (that are open source) and some fixes from my device sources (which are also open source), but it's not directly based on my LineageOS device sources (https://github.com/lineage-rpi) or the project (https://github.com/LineageOS). It e.g. uses Linux 4.9 kernel where I use Linux 4.4 and 4.14 in mine. emteria.OS has also provided source code they're legally obligated to release (e.g. Linux kernel is licensed under GPLv2) even though it's not open source otherwise.

RaspAnd by Arne Exton, which is sold for $9, is the one you should stay away from. If you have purchased it, I'd recommend getting a refund. It is nothing but a build from my sources (https://github.com/lineage-rpi) with some apps bundled in. I have done the work for free (like Peter Yoon and android-rpi before me) and I find it despicable someone puts he's own name on it sells it for personal profit! There's also nothing new here as android-rpi guys felt the same way (https://www.reddit.com/r/Android/commen ... s_9_build/) even before he started using my lineage-rpi sources. It also violates GPLv2 because Exton has failed to provide source code he's legally obligated to provide (e.g. Linux kernel is licensed under GPLv2)! If you've purchased RaspAnd, contact Arne Exton and ask him to release source code he's legally obligated to provide under GPLv2. I have also invited Arne Exton to come here and comment on this publicly. What makes this kind of hilarious is that he's a lawyer and he has worked with various Linux projects for years and I haven't seen him share a single line of source code anywhere for any of his projects. ;)

Google Apps are not traditionally included in custom Android versions because you can't legally do that without passing Google's CTS (Compatibility Test Suite) and certification (there's also rumored to be a licensing fee - edit. well, it's not rumor anymore as there's confirmation from Google: https://www.blog.google/around-the-glob ... -decision/). Historically this is because CyanogenMod (predecessor of LineageOS) got into trouble for it (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CyanogenMod#Licensing). Google could make things difficult for the whole custom Android community if they wanted (https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/03/2 ... tion-roms/, https://lineageos.org/Safetynet/). LineageOS doesn't include Google apps but separate gapps package can be installed using included TWRP recovery like on any other Android device. RaspAnd includes Google apps which again violates Google's rights.

Raspberry Pi is not an Android device to begin with so many things are not quite like what you'd expect on a normal Android device. It's also a very low-end device on current standards (matching middle/low-end Android devices from two-three years ago) and it's a $35 device after all. You can try the images and see if it works for what you had in mind. I consider my work with LineageOS as an open source development project and you're welcome to contribute and fix whatever issues you may find. :)

None of the current Android builds support any version of Pi Zero because support for ARMv6 architecture was removed from Android years ago.
Last edited by Konsta on Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:25 am, edited 9 times in total.

hippy

Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:35 am

Konsta wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:19 am
emteria.OS is not based on LineageOS AFAIK.
Thanks for your clarification. The reason I suggested it was came from amongst others -

"I have been messing around whit my raspberry pi 3 B+ for some time. So now i have emteria.OS on it. It's based on lineage 14.1 and have TWRP 3.1.1-0 on too" -

https://forum.xda-developers.com/lineag ... b-t3843257

"Actualmente contamos con emteria.OS, una versión de LineageOS 14.1 preparada para el uso en proyectos para la industria" ==> "We currently have emteria.OS , a version of LineageOS 14.1 prepared for use in projects for the industry" -

https://raspberryparanovatos.com/articu ... -opciones/

And I probably was also confusing it with "RaspAnd".

Return to “Android”