Fan174

android app for raspberry pi

Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:42 am

Hi guys,

My goal is to control the GPIO of Raspberry Pi with Andriod App. I started reading so I want to control light bulb from Android phone. I have to create Android app. I have Raspberry PI, relay board , light bulb and Android phone. I have little bit knowledge of java.

I asked this question because i found so many way in my google search. I don't know which one would be suitable.

Here are so many experienced person, I want someone to suggest me Which IDE you would prefer to make Andriod App.

I mean which software tools do you use to make Andriod App for your project

DougieLawson

Re: android app for raspberry pi

Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:15 am

Try making an MQTT android app.
https://github.com/eclipse/paho.mqtt.android

That allows you to publish a message from your phone to an MQTT broker running on your Raspberry. An MQTT subscriber program could use that to control your relay and lamp.
Microprocessor, Raspberry Pi & Arduino Hacker
Mainframe database troubleshooter
MQTT Evangelist
Twitter: @DougieLawson

2012-18: 1B*5, 2B*2, B+, A+, Z, ZW, 3Bs*3, 3B+

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

Fan174

Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:35 pm

DougieLawson wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:15 am
Try making an MQTT android app.
https://github.com/eclipse/paho.mqtt.android

That allows you to publish a message from your phone to an MQTT broker running on your Raspberry. An MQTT subscriber program could use that to control your relay and lamp.
Thanks for your advice. I looked it, I feel it's little bit harder as per my level of knowledge. I am an absolute beginner. I spent some more time to understand the android development with raspberry pi over the web.

I understand I need one software IDE to create Android App that will control GPIO pin's of raspberry Pi over web

Personally Which IDE do you use to make Andriod App. Please suggest me one suitable software IDE.

bensimmo

Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:38 pm

Look at Android Things.
You then get to use and stay in the Android system for the Pi and the App.
You of course will need to learn that, that is just part of finding out how to do it.

joan

Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:49 pm

The pigpio Python module should run under Android (at least it does on my Android phone with QPython3).

http://abyz.me.uk/rpi/pigpio/python.html

bensimmo

Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:06 pm

joan wrote:
The pigpio Python module should run under Android (at least it does on my Android phone with QPython3).

It does for me too under Pydroid3 iirc.
As does gpiozero to make it easier for the beginner.

joan

Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:14 pm

bensimmo wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:06 pm
joan wrote:

It does for me too under Pydroid3 iirc.
As does gpiozero to make it easier for the beginner.
I downloaded QPython3 from Google Play and ran the following command from the QPython3 console.

Code: Select all

import pip
pip.main(['install', 'pigpio'])
I assume the same would be done to install gpiozero.

Fan174

Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:04 am

bensimmo wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:38 pm
You of course will need to learn that, that is just part of finding out how to do it.
I found out some of the way,

1) I have to download and install Android things on raspberry then I have to write code for android App

2)I have to install eclipse on Windows laptop with android SDK plugins. I have to write code on windows then I have to deploy program on raspberry Pi

I asked question Personally Which IDE do you use to make Andriod App. I do not understand why no one has told. I am not forcing to someone but Is it really so hard?

bensimmo

Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:41 am

Probably as few people write that write Android Apps that are replying in a Raspberry Pi forum.

I assume most will use Android Studio for developing Android Apps and for Android Things.
Since it keeps you in the Android world of doing things.

After that it would be personal preference.

Others are using Python (two apps as your IDE mentioned above) on Android to control gpio with Raspbian on the Pi.

Microsoft Visual Code is another often used IDE. (I use it, but I have no idea if it is any good for creating Android Apps).

Have a look at the current Android Apps on Google Play and send them an email asking what they used.

Return to “Android”