Doug Howard

Re: Circle - C++ bare metal environment (with USB)

Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:47 pm

I searched for"BCM2837 PWM"
What pins can be used on a RPI3 for PWM? Why is this so had to fine?
I would like to flash more than one LED.
thanks in advance,
Doug Howard

rst

Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:58 pm

Doug Howard wrote: I searched for"BCM2837 PWM"
What pins can be used on a RPI3 for PWM? Why is this so had to fine?
I would like to flash more than one LED.
thanks in advance,
Doug Howard
Have a look at sample/13-pwmoutput. This sample program drives two LEDs at GPIO 18 and 19 (BCM numbering) using hardware PWM. Circle supports these two channels on the RPi 3 for PWM output. The PWM interface has not changed since BCM2835.

rst

Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:22 am

Because it was speculated about the network capabilities of Circle in another topic, I want to inform about this.

Circle has a TCP/IP network stack which was written from scratch in C++. It implements the following protocols: ARP, IP, ICMP, UDP, TCP, DHCP, DNS, HTTP, TFTP, NTP. The application interface is a self defined C++ interface. Basic connection and transfer functions are oriented on the BSD socket interface also known from Linux.

Circle networking does work with the internal SMSC951x Ethernet NIC only. The USB driver for this NIC supports the basic transfer functions "send frame" and "receive frame".

Because some protocol implementations are partial and Circle has not the audience for testing like other systems, I call this implementation as experimental. Nevertheless there is an application of Circle networking for stage light environments (UDP-based ArtNet) which seems to work well.

Vanfanel

Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:03 pm

SDL2 running on Circle would be AWESOME. Or libretro/retroarch.
Just imagine all the software automatically available as baremetal by porting those!!

@rst: after how FAR you have taken this enviroment, have you thought about adding a simple commanline interface (single-process of course) where one could build and run Circle projects on Circle itself?

rst

Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:12 pm

Vanfanel wrote: have you thought about adding a simple commanline interface (single-process of course) where one could build and run Circle projects on Circle itself?
Honestly not. This would require to run a C++ compiler on Circle and would blow it up very much. I prefer Circle being a lightweight system, relatively easy to be understood. A console class with a command line editor may come, but only to be used inside user applications.
SDL2 running on Circle would be AWESOME. Or libretro/retroarch.
Just imagine all the software automatically available as baremetal by porting those!!
Would be awesome, but probably a huge task! ;)

Return to “Bare metal”