jran1216

Re: How does raspberry pi OS work?

Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:40 pm

That's blatantly quantum mechanics though and it doesn't make sense. Basically what I mean is we cant comprehend it and only numbers and signs enabled it. I admire your answer but still remain.

Burngate

Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:20 pm

jran1216 wrote:That's blatantly quantum mechanics though and it doesn't make sense.
It does make sense, and it's not quantum mechanics. Just thermodynamics.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:23 pm

Burngate wrote:
jran1216 wrote:That's blatantly quantum mechanics though and it doesn't make sense.
It does make sense, and it's not quantum mechanics. Just thermodynamics.
It really makes sense? That's a first for me!
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

ShiftPlusOne
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:23 pm

jran1216 wrote:That's blatantly quantum mechanics though and it doesn't make sense. Basically what I mean is we cant comprehend it and only numbers and signs enabled it. I admire your answer but still remain.
It's not quantum mechanics and it makes perfect sense (aside from a few minor mistakes). The second low of thermodynamics states that entropy increases in a closed system. Since you're putting in energy to sort the array, it's not a closed system, so 2TD does not apply.

Who do I return the pedant hat to?

Burngate

Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:34 pm

jamesh wrote:It really makes sense?
Only if you don't look too closely - it relies on there being an enormous number of particles in the system, so you can treat it as a continuous fluid.

Thanks for the loan of the Pedant hat. I'm off to the river with my kayak, now.

jran1216

Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:57 pm

That's the stuff lol. Sorry I have been thinking of using electronics whilst studying for cool stuff like that. A computer using a bit of its brain power. Sorry Ive got a physics book in the case for reading. Its going to be read on the weekend now (or sooner). Good answer. Still seriously what renderer is being used in computer graphics for programs. And could you render two programs into one. Starting from scratch? I'm thinking of starting again to sort through linux pocket guide. Then scratch for making starting games if possible. Operating systems books, and software etc. Then finding it all in raspberry pi just because the thing was genius and it shows.

Still if your saying Quantum Mechanics makes sense your using abstractions buddy which is cool and you can get clever with it, or of course I may have overlooked that your a mathematician.

Oh and this is a cool course for operating systems if anybody's interested https://www.coursera.org/course/introse

jamesh

Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:16 pm

Burngate wrote:
jamesh wrote:It really makes sense?
Only if you don't look too closely
I never look too closely, so that's good enough for me!
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

jran1216

Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:30 pm

Alright last idea for the main frame. A hackers festival. And actually its quite plausible with the raspberry pi. You have an amount of money locked up into a main computer. Raspberry pi's in tents for the stations. People carry their sd cards with their desired programs. They can deter people and hack. That's what I'm really aiming for. But a computer needs capabilities. Explanation was needed and at the moment its just an idea, so... it would be cool to see. Also hacking could be implemented into education. People could build libraries in a good way for the good of the system. Just an idea but its developing.

By the way I don't think this is a good idea if you don't already hack. Far better things to learn.

Cancelor

Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:06 pm

That makes inteligence of making pc compatible for making. A voltage moving a train needs force. So Ive got to make cemistry in the last instance to join. If good a read is in the time allotted no new entropy is observed. Wrong logic. If random parts what picture is made? Used in GPU initialise power. I have often made programs to make one or two or even three. Scratch is not needed for this high level. But I'm thinking of making a new system from many old ones. The building for games is a big starting. It may be possible to solder them. Books, are the same as both. To search all in google and modify the first and the last is a bad idea.

Many say that we are saying this, it makes nonsense of all indexes. When I feel clever the monitor is hot. It thinks more than me. but knowledge goes round in never ending circles so no is the answer that all I can think. And so it is clear.
Can't find the thread you want? Try googling : YourSearchHere site:raspberrypi.org

jran1216

Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:32 pm

That's insane, you just described power right. So someones just describing that someones made atleast some sense of numerics in power and thats what powers device. Entropy numbers?

Or explained entropy powers device by using entropy which again is pretty insane.

Or that it wont process wrong commands.

If its all then they are pretty usefull things.

well I hope it goes well for you, be cheaper. Have you seen space draw on mobile devices?

And to answer your question, it must be a pixel by pixel occurence so that is why its not possible because its on a screen and it would just move. Still again bare metal, could just cut out the translator. Program pixel by pixel lol.

jran1216

Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:14 pm

Ok so another question. Because the make file gets used in a program with a set of commands. Does that mean youre very limited to new ideas? Also if you assign a value of 1 binary to I think pin 16. Do the higher value of pins automatically assign to 0 values. If so that answers my question for numbers existing in a computer although still cant fully complete how a computer runs. :?:

Jim JKla

Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:16 pm

Think of the make file as a pipe full of micro machinery set of commands go in one end finnished program comes out of the other.

The arrangement of commands going in one end of the pipe are infinite therefore the programs that can come out the other end are infinite.

Possibly an over simplification but it should do for now.

PS subject to GIGO principle. ;)

As for the binary question I am going to go away and see if I can channel Tommy Flowers for you or the guys who built the Altair. ;)
Noob is not derogatory the noob is just the lower end of the noob--geek spectrum being a noob is just your first step towards being an uber-geek ;)

If you find a solution please post it in the wiki the forum dies too quick

Jim JKla

Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:39 pm

Computing 101

Ok I have done a bit of channeling had to go even further back than Tommy.

You do know what a switch is and a switch can be on or off.

Now you can have a switch with three connectors one input and two outputs lets call the outputs zero and one this switch has two states.

If you have two of these switches you can wire them a number of ways two switches can give you four different states

Both at Zero
Both at One
First switch Zero Second switch One
First switch One Second switch Zero

This pair of switches is a Gate and the type of Gate depends on how they are wired

Now add another switch into the system but this switch is a relay and its state depends on the state of the first two switches this relay switch is an element in another gate.

As you can see to do this with mechanical switches it soon becomes a spagetii system enter Tommy Flowers he figured out a way to use Vacume tubes in place of switches and Mercury tubes to store the given state of the system (registers) this was Colosus.

Move on a few years Shockley gets part of a Nobel prize for inventing a switch made from Silicon (The transistor) this replaces those vacum tubes and they figure out how to make the registers out of the same silicon.

Together with some other people they figure out how to put loads of these switches on a single piece of silicon using photo etching.

Basically now your main processor is a nest of millions of switches and their wireing it has got to the stage where no human mind can understand the intracacies of all the wiring but the chip can be concepualised as sets of registers and the various states those registers can be in.

Assembly language is a way of interpreting and describing the changes that can be made to those registers this allows you to do simple math with any given pair of registers.

The registers actually work at the machine code level, Assembler is just an easier way for a human to interperet machine code.

So to answer the OP question "How does the raspberry pi OS work?" The core processor is a state change detector built from millions of transistor switches where the state the processor is detecting is its own state and combined with the state of various inputs it changes the state of it's outputs such that various bits of hardware can convert those signals into other outputs that can be interpreted by other machines (Monitors, Printers Amplifier/speakers systems) such that humans can understand them. ;)

Tommy says thankyou for your time.
Noob is not derogatory the noob is just the lower end of the noob--geek spectrum being a noob is just your first step towards being an uber-geek ;)

jran1216

Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:34 pm

And suddenly I can grab the concept of binary. So a processors job is to process, it causes a run of binary digits.
Alright so is the memory storing a processors state? and could it be that the binaries are, collected, by the assembler? Or is it all still pre determined by the architecture. Futhermore could I cheaply build a large processor and then connect that to a board and direct current using magnets, and is it plausible to see the binaries creation from those electrical routes. If not would I be fooling the processor into thinking and could the memory store that into binary representation. Not being silly just further leads to an idealistic experiment.

Thank you for that answer.

This forum doesnt include spaces.

Jim JKla

Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:43 pm

The concept of large or small home built processor depends do you mean large phisically or large in number of switches. ;)

jran1216

Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:47 pm

Physically. I wouldn't have enough money for small magnets and positioning materials.

jran1216

Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:37 pm

Right got it. So actually they created a possibility of yes and no from a possibility of four different switches meaning it can be a no and a yes at the same time creating something to be off at the same time its on. The processor switches are used for either an on off x 2 and a both off, both on. Now a combination of two processor switches cause another on and off x 2 and an off and on. Meaning that further switches can be on and off at the same time therefore combing binaries. Now if thats right, I have been officially solved.
Thank you.

jran1216

Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:19 pm

So and to cap this off you would create layers of binary governed by dos commands and the binaries would only generate when that command was issued and computers are so super quick it happens in an instance and if they struggle then the command doesnt add up and it takes longer. Commands are purely for switching? Scripts are used for running these commands and the only thing in an executable is a script but the executable runs the script and enables it to cause switching. An assembly is a combination of what was caused before and enables tasks, so a duplicate of switches pieced together logically and the processor logs that. So an operating system needs an advanced kernel or a simple kernel. Hmmm yeah original idea, then people have larger possibilities for programs, so an argument is really something that enables binary to be utilised and hence the imperfection. My head swallows.

tufty

Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:45 pm

Best troll ever. Would read again.

rpdom

Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:52 pm

What have DOS commands to do with anything?

Logic is achieved in small steps.

Switch On.
Switch Off.
Paint the memory fence.

Combine those steps to achieve great power.

jran1216

Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:05 pm

No dos was built from binaries. So the binaries enabled a command to be written, displayed on screen and when you execute it, it runs those binaries. Dos was built in layers so the command then got assigned to another binary, and more binaries were created in that layer. More commands were built etc. Etc.

so can the same be done with a raspberry pi. Thats what i'm thinking.

rpdom

Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:18 pm

DOS also used the PC's built-in BIOS code to handle all the simple I/O for it. Even early versions of Windows used the BIOS interface for low-level control.

The Pi does not have a BIOS. If you want to do things like write a character to a screen, read a keyboard input, talk to a storage device, you need to write your own low-level code to handle that on the Pi.

Fortunately there are clever people who have written examples of working code that does those functions, but mostly are programmed in C. You won't get much luck programming in raw binary (or "Hex"). You can do it with an assembler though.

Jim JKla

Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:25 pm

By Dos do you mean MS-DOS?

jran1216

Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:38 pm

So basically you could only simulate it? Creating I/O on top of an existing operating system. Yeah that's a hard thing to do i'm guessing you would need to reassign to the lowest level possible. Is that a long explanation or short? And yeah I was thinking of using assembly code but its not quite your own or a secure build, you would have to rely on other updates, feels like I'm missing something, can you create an intirely new operating system from assembly code?. Im also planning two operating procedures. One to make a secure operating system and a clone of that operating system with lots of security breaches causing a sort of game for anybody who so wishes to play. So creating one from a starting point would enable more to play with. That being said does assembly code include arguments? If so I'll use assembly code.

jran1216

Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:40 pm

Yeah. Dare I utter it. Was just to understand computers.
Well it could be dos or ms-dos.

Return to “Bare metal, Assembly language”