luben93

RPI or PIC18F458

Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:27 am

ive just started the 2 courses Operatingsystem and microcomputers at my university and for micro we have a custom PIC18F458 based computer which we can rent for 230euros, on the computer we program ASM. My question is: if i buy a RPi can i do all the low-level stuff i do on the PIC?
because to have an extra computer for operatingsystem would be fun. (i posted this in a education before)

AndyNC

Re: RPI or PIC18F458

Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:35 pm

If I understand you correctly you are doing a course on operating systems and a course on microcontrollers.
It seems that thread http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 72&t=22820 is pretty close to what you want where you can write assembler and have an operating system (linux and similar).

In some ways the Pi running Linux will restrict your freedom in assembler whereas running on a pic will give you total freedom of the hardware as well. If you use it as a dual system ie on the one hand you boot linux and do you operating system work on that, and the other hand you use the bare metal route to test your assembler.

Good luck

Andy

Return to “Bare metal, Assembly language”