thetechnobear

RTOS - which? status?

Thu May 21, 2015 9:32 am

Hi,

Im looking at using a RTOS on the PI2, and being looking around, and found talk of:
- Chibios
- FreeRTOS
- BitThunder - based off FreeRTOS(?)

my project is based around a USB connectivity, including MIDI class compliance, so Id like the low level USB HAL if possible,
ethernet would be a bonus... but I don't really need any display support.

but its really unclear what the status of each is e.g. is there any active development on each?
so its hard to know which to use as a starting point.

In particular, Id also like to know if there is any USB/Ethernet support in the HAL for the PI.

BitThunder seems to be the only one I see check-ins for, but there are many branches, and I'm not sure which would be the one to go from, and again what hardware support is already completed.

Im also working on another project which uses Chibios on STM32, so that would be preferable, but I think Id be more driven by an RTOS which already has USB support.

thanks for any info
Mark
Raspberry PI2 running Raspbian & Linaro

jameswalmsley

Re: RTOS - which? status?

Thu May 21, 2015 5:54 pm

I'm currently trying to revive the BitThunder port on RaspberryPi and Pi2.
I'll try to update you as I get along.

Since I lost spoke of BT here its advanced hugely but mostly on other platforms like Xilinx Zynq.

USB is still the biggest blocker for simple bare-metal projects to integrate networking etc.

James

dwelch67

Fri May 22, 2015 3:36 am

this is a bare metal forum which by definition means no operating system.

kriss

Sat Jun 06, 2015 5:07 pm

the nice bear rsp user do uspi from where you can start ;)

tufty

Sun Jun 07, 2015 1:42 pm

kriss wrote:the nice bear rsp user do uspi from where you can start ;)

Code: Select all

?SYNTAX ERROR

FORMULA TOO COMPLEX

kriss

Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:41 am

s/rsp/rst
forgive me please rst
anyway this bear need your uspi (if i understood)

rascol

Sat Jun 13, 2015 3:25 pm

thetechnobear wrote:

Hi,

Im looking at using a RTOS on the PI2, and being looking around, and found talk of:
- Chibios
- FreeRTOS
- BitThunder - based off FreeRTOS(?)

my project is based around a USB connectivity, including MIDI class compliance, so Id like the low level USB HAL if possible,
ethernet would be a bonus... but I don't really need any display support.

but its really unclear what the status of each is e.g. is there any active development on each?
so its hard to know which to use as a starting point.

In particular, Id also like to know if there is any USB/Ethernet support in the HAL for the PI.

BitThunder seems to be the only one I see check-ins for, but there are many branches, and I'm not sure which would be the one to go from, and again what hardware support is already completed.

Im also working on another project which uses Chibios on STM32, so that would be preferable, but I think Id be more driven by an RTOS which already has USB support.

thanks for any info
Mark
You might be interested in this RTOS modification to the standard Raspian kernel:

http://docs.emlid.com/Downloads/Real-time-Linux-RPi2/

It has most of the necessary I/Os, hardware resources and com software installed or enabled. It is fully preemptable and its performance is quite good. They did not run the mkknlimg script (https://github.com/raspberrypi/tools/tr ... er/mkimage) against the compiled kernel so as-is it does support device trees. But but if you need DTs (recommended) that can be done directly on the kernel image that they supply so that it does. At that point it can be substituted for the standard Raspian Linux kernel using the install procedure they provide.

Return to “Bare metal, Assembly language”