Gavinmc42

Re: Assembly IDE

Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:38 am

44% of the boards go to industrial use
Ballpark, that's about 15Million.
Mind you, I expect a high percentage of that is the digital signage market.

I'm old enough to know 8086/8 PC104 SBC's.
Pi quality is better than the ones I made and used. ;)
Back in those days there might be just one IDE.
We used them and complained all the time or just put up with the niggles ;)
Didn't use much assembly code back then either.
I'm dancing on Rainbows.
Raspberries are not Apples or Oranges

StevoD

Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:46 am

LdB wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:29 am
Not sure your I get your point, I know a couple of companies that have a product that sells 100% into the Industrial market they do however sell only a handfull of units.
So your own comment to the OP about the Pi being a niche education and hobby SoC was rubbish then.

Maybe there are other reasons why this forum has gone a bit quiet :roll:

LdB

Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:02 am

Clearly we are all out busy building our industrial products with our Pi's and waiting for your code and assistance and for my part I am out of here <wave>.

So I leave it your expertise to help the OP out with something constructive and get the post back on subject.

m.bauer588

Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:49 pm

CodeBlocks can build and debug Assembly Code. Create a GCC C-project and use the fileextention .s!

VS Code should also do with a GDB-plugin but I am still searching the infos how to write the fitting launch.json...

Both tools should do what I need - I would prefer VS Code but as long as debugging don't work Codeblocks will do.

MikeDB

Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:19 pm

m.bauer588 wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:57 pm
Hello,

I try to find a IDE for Assembly on the RPi 4. I tested VSCode and it works great with C/C++ but not with assembly. Strang because in both cases gdb would work. Maybe someone gnow how to configure a projekt to get DGB debugging working.

Then I tryed SASM which compile the code but when I try to debug it hangs and dont allow me to inspect some regisert nor execute the next line of code.

I am aware I could use gdb in CLI mode but I want some IDE with integrated debugger and not a CLI tool.

I also give r2 in the visual mode a shot but also that tool is not really nice to work with.

I would take any IDE als long as it has a GUI and a debugger which allow me to inspect registers and memory addresses while stepping trough the code.
Have you looked at IAR Embedded Workbench for ARM ? It's more aimed at embedded solutions but it sounds like your application is. Definitely supports the A72 in the Pi4.
Always interested in innovative audio startups needing help and investment. Look for me on ModWiggler or other sites that have PMs.

Heater

Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:56 pm

m.bauer588 wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 10:39 pm
I have multiple tentousends of lines assembly code to port and to debug.
m.bauer588 wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 10:39 pm
If I have not 3 other PCs arround me running some tasks and setting of alarms and errors or just geting a job done and waiting that I react on the results and if I have no people calling me and some other distractions I would be maybe OK with working like 1980.
I do sympathise but I can't help thinking that if one has hundreds of thousands of lines of assembler to maintain in 2021, whilst running debug sessions for days, whilst being constantly distracted by phone calls, messages and whatever else, then one has much bigger problems than the lack of slick IDE for assembler.

Way back in 1996 I took on a contract that involved maintaining hundreds of thousands of lines of assembler. This was "nice" Intel x86 assembler, with almost no documentation and almost no comments in the code. The solution was to kind of reverse engineer it, figure out what it did, and recreate the functionality in C. Kind of a long and tedious job but the payoff for the client company was huge. They subsequently used that code on different architectures and operating system for many years after as things evolved. Those systems are still in use and maintained today.

@others re: Industrial Pi usage:

Of course industrial/commercial users jumped on the Pi. It's a great ARM based SBC at an irresistible price point.
It's likely made commercial applications possible that were just not economically viable otherwise.

Apart from the increase in revenue it brings to the Pi Foundation, a charity, for its educational mission all that is kind of irrelevant. If industrial users are not satisfied with the software they get from the Pi/Linux/OpenSource community for free they have to look elsewhere.
People are not going support your profit making business for free.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

ejolson

Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:42 pm

m.bauer588 wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:49 pm
CodeBlocks can build and debug Assembly Code. Create a GCC C-project and use the fileextention .s!

VS Code should also do with a GDB-plugin but I am still searching the infos how to write the fitting launch.json...

Both tools should do what I need - I would prefer VS Code but as long as debugging don't work Codeblocks will do.
I'm late to the discussion, but glad you got something you are happy with.

My observation is that people who want an IDE rather than separate tools often haven't figured out how to setup their desktop and window manager so they can easily use multiple applications.

When you have the time maybe it would help to explore window managers aimed at developers, particularly tiling window managers such as ratpoison, to see if you could develop some habits that make working with multiple programs easier.

Gavinmc42

Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:56 pm

explore window managers aimed at developers
Was not aware of using Ratpoison for developing.
Been moving away for MS Windows Development to using Pi 400 for everything.

Enlightenment is one Window Manager that got my attention.
But since I want to move to Vulkan rendering to tweak a bit more performance X11/OpenGL has minimal interest to me.

I want to do ML/AI/CV on Aarch64, for performance tweaking the Pi a bit more some Assembly tools would be nice.
But by the time I actually get around to this the Pi5 will be out :lol:
I still have lots of Pico stuff to learn too.
I'm dancing on Rainbows.
Raspberries are not Apples or Oranges

Return to “Bare metal, Assembly language”