xihan94
Posts: 21
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:31 pm

Status of U-Boot Support for Pi 4

Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:55 am

Hi folks, does anyone of you know if there's a plan for 64bit U-Boot support for Pi 4? If someone can share discussion from U-Boot mailing list if there's any that will be very helpful.

User avatar
Gavinmc42
Posts: 4191
Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:31 am

Re: Status of U-Boot Support for Pi 4

Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:56 am

Ask on the U-boot forum?
I'm dancing on Rainbows.
Raspberries are not Apples or Oranges

epoch1970
Posts: 4114
Joined: Thu May 05, 2016 9:33 am
Location: Paris, France

Re: Status of U-Boot Support for Pi 4

Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:47 am

There is no uboot forum AFAIK only a mailing list.

I think Andrei Gherzan is your man:
https://andrei.gherzan.ro/linux/uboot-on-rpi/
(he is also on this forum under the handle agherzan, look around.)
"S'il n'y a pas de solution, c'est qu'il n'y a pas de problème." Les Shadoks, J. Rouxel

swahren
Posts: 119
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:24 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Status of U-Boot Support for Pi 4

Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:25 pm

The U-Boot guys are waiting for the results of the Linux upstreaming process.

But don't expect network or USB boot too soon. AFAIK there are no driver available.

xihan94
Posts: 21
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:31 pm

Re: Status of U-Boot Support for Pi 4

Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:53 pm

swahren wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:25 pm
The U-Boot guys are waiting for the results of the Linux upstreaming process.

But don't expect network or USB boot too soon. AFAIK there are no driver available.
Hey Stefan, this is exactly I was looking for. Thank you very much.

xihan94
Posts: 21
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:31 pm

Re: Status of U-Boot Support for Pi 4

Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:54 pm

epoch1970 wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:47 am
There is no uboot forum AFAIK only a mailing list.

I think Andrei Gherzan is your man:
https://andrei.gherzan.ro/linux/uboot-on-rpi/
(he is also on this forum under the handle agherzan, look around.)
I didn’t know that wip branch. Thank you for sharing!

User avatar
ehem
Posts: 46
Joined: Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:17 am

Re: Status of U-Boot Support for Pi 4

Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:42 am

I'm guessing Raspberry Pi4Bs are officially supported by U-Boot? I'm guessing based upon how long ago this discussion was and how recently the referred repositories were updated.
Sounds like all (at least most) of the support is present in the main U-Boot repository (GitHub being a mirror)?

Looks like the Wiki page on eLinux is a cobweb. No references to the RP4 and referenced repositories are waay out of date.
Meanwhile agherzan's notes look fairly usable.

Have people been successfully using U-Boot as a bootloader for RP4s? Has anyone used it to load GRUB and then used GRUB to load Linux (or other OS)?

Milliways
Posts: 495
Joined: Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:18 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Status of U-Boot Support for Pi 4

Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:46 am

ehem wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:42 am
I'm guessing Raspberry Pi4Bs are officially supported by U-Boot? I'm guessing based upon how long ago this discussion was and how recently the referred repositories were updated.
Sounds like all (at least most) of the support is present in the main U-Boot repository (GitHub being a mirror)?

Looks like the Wiki page on eLinux is a cobweb. No references to the RP4 and referenced repositories are waay out of date.
Meanwhile agherzan's notes look fairly usable.

Have people been successfully using U-Boot as a bootloader for RP4s? Has anyone used it to load GRUB and then used GRUB to load Linux (or other OS)?
Ubuntu server uses U-Boot as standard.

GlowInTheDark
Posts: 184
Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:14 pm

Re: Status of U-Boot Support for Pi 4

Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:37 am

For the benefit of those of us in the bleacher seats, what are the supposed advantages of using U-Boot on the RPi (as opposed to whatever is the default - i.e., whatever it is that we are currently using) ?

Is there any reason an outside observer should care about this?

User avatar
procount
Posts: 1897
Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:32 pm
Location: UK

Re: Status of U-Boot Support for Pi 4

Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:30 am

There are a few OSes that already use U-boot on the pi. Whenever I come across it in an OS I am converting to NOOBS or PINN, I have to strip it out and revert to the standard bootloader because it prevents multi-boot.

It seems U-boot needs to exist on the first partition and all partition references seem to exist buried in compressed script files. So to my mind it offers no advantage whatsoever in the Pi environment.
PINN - NOOBS with the extras... https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=142574

User avatar
ehem
Posts: 46
Joined: Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:17 am

Re: Status of U-Boot Support for Pi 4

Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:36 am

procount wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:30 am
There are a few OSes that already use U-boot on the pi. Whenever I come across it in an OS I am converting to NOOBS or PINN, I have to strip it out and revert to the standard bootloader because it prevents multi-boot.

It seems U-boot needs to exist on the first partition and all partition references seem to exist buried in compressed script files. So to my mind it offers no advantage whatsoever in the Pi environment.
Interesting decision. I'm unsure of exactly how far U-Boot's scripting capabilities go, but it almost seems to have enough to provide a menu of choices of what to boot. Meanwhile my goal certainly can provide a menu of choices.

My target is to get a working GRUB setup. GRUB is well known and all of the configuration I need for it is readily available. Thing is (to my knowledge) there is no way to directly boot GRUB on a Raspberry PI. Worse, if GRUB was being directly booted I would be concerned about how readily the setup could be maintained. GRUB doesn't receive that many updates, but it does get some. Worse right now I need a crucial feature which is "bleeding edge" for GRUB.

As such the Tianocore/EDK2 UEFI bootloader and U-Boot are two options for loading GRUB. I'm concerned with the status of the EDK2 project. There are sort of working versions for the RP4, but those are far behind the state of U-Boot. Worse the direction being taken seems likely to make things worse for a time before they get better.

As such I'm back to taking a look at U-Boot.
ehem wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:42 am
Meanwhile agherzan's notes look fairly usable.
Problem with this is those directions appear to assume booting an armhf kernel and simple adaptations haven't gotten them to work with an arm64 kernel. This is to say nothing of trying to load GRUB.

Apparently the standard for loading aarch64/arm64/armv8 images is to use the UEFI protocol. U-Boot has a "bootefi" command. Figuring out how to make everything work has so far been troublesome.

Andrei Gherzan's directions have gotten me to something which appears to load a aarch64 Linux kernel, but once the "bootm" command is executed the RP4 stops responding.

I'm no where near out of ideas, but I'm certainly shy of my goal right now.

User avatar
ehem
Posts: 46
Joined: Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:17 am

Re: Status of U-Boot Support for Pi 4

Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:25 am

procount wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:30 am
There are a few OSes that already use U-boot on the pi. Whenever I come across it in an OS I am converting to NOOBS or PINN, I have to strip it out and revert to the standard bootloader because it prevents multi-boot.
Actually, could you list these? They may be valuable as samples for figuring out the required uboot commands. Ideally link to the exact version (such as here for Ubuntu) since there appear to be multiple Raspberry Pi builds for some distributions. I've run into mentions of Arch and SuSE using U-Boot, but haven't found actual builds so those don't help with figuring out U-Boot.

User avatar
procount
Posts: 1897
Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:32 pm
Location: UK

Re: Status of U-Boot Support for Pi 4

Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:17 pm

AArch64 and Suse are the 2 64bit OSes that spring to mind, but I couldn't find a definitive list.
I abandoned BSD based OSes, mainly because of UFS, but could also have been UBoot.
I remember there was at least one other 32-bit OS where I successfully removed UBoot, I think it was Ubuntu19.10, maybe Emteria and RTAndroid also.
PINN - NOOBS with the extras... https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=142574

Return to “Bare metal, Assembly language”