Lorcank95

Programme Compatibility Confusion

Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:56 pm

Hi all,

Just got my hands on a pi3 model b. Trying to use it as a ground station to receive signals from satellites. I want to use some programmes like GPredict, SDRSharp etc. I'm not a veteran software engineer by any stretch. I have limited knowledge with this sort of thing.
I would like to be able to run Python scripts I have written, access and run the Pi camera as well as install and run the two aforementioned programmes. I have installed Ubuntu mate 16.04 on my 32gb SD card. What I'm wondering is what version of those software packages do I need to download to run on the Pi? Because most people who run these programmes install straight using the sudo command on Raspbian.
Any and all information/help is appreciated.

P.S the reason I want to use Ubuntu instead of Raspbian on the Pi is so that I can use NoMachine to access the Pi remotely using a terminal from anywhere on campus.

Thanks for your time,

Lorcan.

klricks

Re: Programme Compatibility Confusion

Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:39 am

Ubuntu is not required to use nomachine on the RPi: https://www.nomachine.com/download/linu ... =Raspberry

A version of GPredict is already in the Raspbian repository 1.3-3+b1

SDRSharp Does not appear to be in the repository (Raspbian Stretch) so you would need to get the source code if available and compile yourself unless someone has already made a version that runs on a RPi.
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Stretch w/ Desktop OS.

Lorcank95

Re: Programme Compatibility Confusion

Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:14 pm

Thanks for getting back to me.

I think there are some alternative SDR programmes that I can use. But it is pretty clear I should stick to Raspbian OS and not Ubuntu MATE. Thanks for taking the time to answer my question. Really helped me out a lot!

Cheers,

Lorcan.

Return to “Linux Kernel”