matias

OpenMAX audio encoders

Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:16 am

This question has been asked more than once before, but hasn't been answered:

Are there any hardware-accelerated audio codecs available through OpenMAX?

redhawk

Re: OpenMAX audio encoders

Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:25 pm

No because the Pi isn't licensed to handle audio codecs using the GPU.

Richard S.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:25 pm

The licence fee for the audio codecs is, weirdly, very high. More than H264 IIRC. And that's for simple audio codecs, which have nothing like the complexity of H264. Very odd.

Since the ARM is capable of audio de/encode and the software for those can be obtained outside of the Foundations control, that is the route that has been chosen.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

darkyp

Tue May 19, 2015 5:30 pm

Then it might be reasonable to make this note in the openmax docs at the https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware that audio decoding and encoding is not implemented as described in the respective components, or is it? I lost some great deal of time fiddling with these components, looking around and searching for information and finally came to the indefinite (not clearly confirmed) conclusion that current audio components do not support any codecs at all.

However if source code was provided or at least docs and appropriate toolchain for compiling and not the binary blobs for the GPU I think this might have solved licencing issues as is the matter with ffmpeg and the non-free aac codecs for example.

It might have been discussed somewhere but I haven't come across yet any information that drives the reasoning behind hiding the above information on the GPU.

Return to “OpenMAX”