cmarty

Limits of videocore IV hw decoding

Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:49 pm

Hello.
I'm trying to find out some information about limits of allowed image resolution and specifications of file formats allowed for use with broadcom hw decoder (JPEG, MPEG4, H264).
About JPEG images it is the maximal image resolution and description of allowed JPEG internal format.
About the videos I am interested in maximal video resolution, and if are there some limits about the bitrate.
Thanks for any help.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Limits of videocore IV hw decoding

Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:54 pm

I'm not sure what the upper limit of JPG is, we've used up to 38MP without a problem.

Bitrate for H264 video, the cabac can do about 60Mbits/s I believe. We tend to stick to 1080p30, but it may be able to decode more - encode is HW limited to 1080p30
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

dickon

Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:00 pm

Someone sent me a sample of 1080p50, which my overclocked-within-spec Pi rendered without trouble.

Very pretty, too.
As it is apparently board policy to disallow any criticism of anything, as it appears to criticise something is to criticise all the users of that something, I will no longer be commenting in threads which are not directly relevant to my uses of the Pi.

nebula

Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:05 pm

It doesn't support progressive JPEGs, so you gotta watch out for that.

Return to “OpenMAX”