PinkPR

OpenMAX : OMX.broadcom.rawcam

Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:10 pm

Hi guys,

I'm trying to build a raw access to CSI input. I found out that a component named 'OMX.broadcom.rawcam' existed in OpenMAX, and it could have been perfect for me. But this component doesn't seem to be present on my Raspberry.

This component is a Broadcom one, so I don't understand why it isn't present. My distribution is a Raspbian from October 2016 so I think it's not an update problem.

Do you know how can I have this component ?

Thnak you :)

PinkPR

6by9
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: OpenMAX : OMX.broadcom.rawcam

Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:50 pm

See viewtopic.php?f=43&t=109137 for more details.

MMAL and IL both reuse the same lowest level components on the GPU. rawcam has been written and tested only on MMAL, not IL. For one I know that it will fall in a big heap if you try tunneling the output port. IL also inherently has to memcpy buffers from GPU memory to ARM memory, whilst MMAL has a mechanism to map GPU memory into an ARM process.

The reason I suspect that the component doesn't exist is that it is only in the firmware image with the camera enabled (use raspi-config, or add start_x=1 to config.txt).

Please also note that the intention is to replace rawcam with a V4L2 driver when I have the time, therefore I won't be devoting much support effort to it.
Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Trading. Views expressed are still personal views.
Please don't send PMs asking for support - use the forum.
I'm not interested in doing contracts for bespoke functionality - please don't ask.

Return to “OpenMAX”