danielpa

Re: HDMI to CSI adapter board

Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:48 pm

I have read that in the future there might be one or more camera module boards made for the CSI2 interface. It would be great if that CSI interface could also be used to input HDMI data for hardware encoding. Toshiba has a chip that might enable this functionality:

"The Toshiba TC358743 camera bridge enables a Host Processor with a MIPI Camera Serial Interface (CSI) to accept HDMI video and audio streams and process them as incoming data source."

http://www.toshiba.com/taec/Ca.....id=1779480

Obviously it would not be able to support HDCP content, but there are a number of applications where this is not needed. It would be great to have a low cost, low power, portable streaming server for live Internet broadcasts.  Input sources could be computer or a DSLR and output perhaps a ffmpeg server h264 stream at 1080p30.

As the BGA chip would be hard to source and solder for the DIY person, not to mention the low level coding required, this could only be made possible with an official addon board.

san822

Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:34 pm

danielpa said:

I have read that in the future there might be one or more camera module boards made for the CSI2 interface.

The emergence of an API for CSI-2 depends on the Broadcom. If Broadcom will open documentation of MIPI in BCM2835 for developers then maybe your idea will realized.

jbeale

Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:55 pm

As I recall the CSI interface on RasPi supports resolutions up to 800x600 pixels at 30 fps. So you wouldn't be seeing normal 720p or 1080p video in any case.

crackwitz

Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:20 am

I could definitely use this for a "little" project of mine... an HD camcorder (with HDMI out) mounted on a 2-axis stepper-actuated head (pan/tilt), a raspi controlling the table to keep a person in the picture precisely. using the HDMI feed (instead of another camera) should be easiest because it's exactly what's being recorded and it's already digital (or else I'd have to A/D the YPbPr output, for which I didn't find chips/modules). the raspi's GPU can probably handle some simple full-frame computer vision operations too.

in this thread I read that the interface is CSI-2 with 2 lanes of ~1 Gbit/s each. that should be enough capacity for 1080p video (1920 * 1080 * RGB888 * 30 fps is ~1.5 Gbit/s) plus overhead. if it's not, I can always force my camcorder to output 720x576 progressive (or 1080i, if the converter chip and CSI input allow it).

AndrewS

Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:26 am

crackwitz

Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:38 am

this topic would be in better company there. my vote is yes, though it's really not my thread.

stevepdp

Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:33 pm

Moved :-)

crackwitz

Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:51 pm

toshiba released more details on the chip: http://www.toshiba-components.com/mobil ... 358743.pdf

it does support HDCP decryption (which I don't need), up to 1080p60 video (depending on CSI lane count), 3D video formats, and audio.

futaris

Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:02 am

The ODROID-X people have mentioned a similar adapter board too:

http://odroid.foros-phpbb.com/t1133-cam ... hdmi-input

virtualas

Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:15 am

Maybe someone as some updates on this topic? I am looking for same too and would be pleased if someone could help me ;)

robotfunk

Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:29 pm

I would love to see one!

chatraed

Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:02 pm

Anybody aware of the power consumption of the Toshiba hdmi2csi converter?
I don't see any current consumption numbers in datasheet.

A chip with similar functionality to provide a HDMI input interface would be a regular HDMI receiver, like the one manufactured by Analog Devices: http://www.analog.com/static/imported-f ... DV7611.pdf

From the AD current consumption data, I can calculate the power requirements:
- under normal conditions: 630mW;
- under worst-case conditions: 1.5W.

So, that looks like an aspect to think about in case power consumption is important in a particular application.
I suppose any HW converter involving high speeds and bandwidths specific to HDMI, CSI, DSI interfaces would inherently consume pretty much current.

Any thoughts about this?

RBNB

Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:30 pm

For anyone who can't find a place to order it, I found a website where you can make a backorder.
http://parts.arrow.com/item/detail/tosh ... -elh5#QzRz

tnagai

Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:23 am

I found a HDMI to CSI-2 Bridge for Rasberry Pi using Toshiba chip:
Has anyone tried this bridge ?

6by9
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:39 pm

From their website:
It has the same pinout as the new CSI-2 connector on the RPI compute module base board
So not going to work easily with a A, B, B+, or B2, particularly as they all only expose 2-lane CSI-2.
I would love to know how they anticipate talking to the CSI-2 receiver peripheral on the Pi - the specs aren't public. Quite possibly they haven't:
As of December 2014 the first prototype is working on an iMX6 platform
And the less said about the price the better!
Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Trading. Views expressed are still personal views.
I'm not interested in doing contracts for bespoke functionality - please don't ask.

ghans

Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:26 pm

http://www.auvidea.com/index.php/purchase wrote:

Code: Select all

SKU		model	description				availability	net price	incl. VAT
70500	B100	HDMI to CSI-2 bridge	March 2015		€149.00		€177.31
ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

dim

Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:14 pm

6by9 wrote: So not going to work easily with a A, B, B+, or B2, particularly as they all only expose 2-lane CSI-2.
And the less said about the price the better!
Sorry for the newbie question. Why exactly won't it connect easily with A, B, B+ or B2? I'm assuming we're talking about this product. As I understand it, it has a CSI-2 port just as the B2 does.

About the price: according to this page, the B100 adapter board for the Raspberry Pi will only cost €19.90, which is without shipping, of course.

I'm really new to this, so there's plenty I could have missed; but the way it looks right now, I'm pretty optimistic! :geek:
Apparently they start production in March, which starts tomorrow! :D :D :D

6by9

Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:13 pm

dim wrote:Sorry for the newbie question. Why exactly won't it connect easily with A, B, B+ or B2? I'm assuming we're talking about this product. As I understand it, it has a CSI-2 port just as the B2 does.
CSI-2 is a flexible standard that supports 1 to 4 (or 8 with an extension) "lanes" of data, each carrying up to 1Gb/s of data. Each lane requires a pair of pins between the device and the SoC.
That board wants to use 4 lanes. The connector on the Compute Module brings out the relevant pins for 4 lanes. The connector on the A, B, B+, and B2 only brings out the pins for 2 lanes. 4 lanes of data into 2 lanes doesn't go.
dim wrote:About the price: according to this page, the B100 adapter board for the Raspberry Pi will only cost €19.90, which is without shipping, of course.
The adapter board 70600/"B100-RPi" going from a B100 to a Pi is €19.90+VAT. That won't do much without a 70500/"B100" board, which is €149.00+VAT!
They do appear to have the 70501/"B101" that should plug straight into a Pi A, B, B+, or B2, and the 70502/"B102" that should plug straight into the Compute Module I/O board. Either is a snip at €139+VAT when they ship.
Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Trading. Views expressed are still personal views.
I'm not interested in doing contracts for bespoke functionality - please don't ask.

dim

Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:37 pm

6by9 wrote:
dim wrote:Sorry for the newbie question. Why exactly won't it connect easily with A, B, B+ or B2? I'm assuming we're talking about this product. As I understand it, it has a CSI-2 port just as the B2 does.
CSI-2 is a flexible standard that supports 1 to 4 (or 8 with an extension) "lanes" of data, each carrying up to 1Gb/s of data. Each lane requires a pair of pins between the device and the SoC.
That board wants to use 4 lanes. The connector on the Compute Module brings out the relevant pins for 4 lanes. The connector on the A, B, B+, and B2 only brings out the pins for 2 lanes. 4 lanes of data into 2 lanes doesn't go.
dim wrote:About the price: according to this page, the B100 adapter board for the Raspberry Pi will only cost €19.90, which is without shipping, of course.
The adapter board 70600/"B100-RPi" going from a B100 to a Pi is €19.90+VAT. That won't do much without a 70500/"B100" board, which is €149.00+VAT!
They do appear to have the 70501/"B101" that should plug straight into a Pi A, B, B+, or B2, and the 70502/"B102" that should plug straight into the Compute Module I/O board. Either is a snip at €139+VAT when they ship.
Gosh, that's a lot more complicated and expensive than I expected. Any hope that I can buy a standalone TC358743XBG and somehow wire it up myself?
I also found this board online. I have contacted the seller regarding pricing. I've only seen 2 other vendors selling these (Auvidea and some other vendor) and they have been extremely expensive. Is this something to do with the way it is made (I doubt it)? Or is it simply because they are compensating for low demand?

Trouffman

Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:37 pm

Does anyone tested it ?

Looking to get my hand on one of the B102 but seems the number of Lanes on the CSI connector will avaoid it working as expected...

6by9

Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:09 am

Trouffman wrote:Does anyone tested it ?

Looking to get my hand on one of the B102 but seems the number of Lanes on the CSI connector will avaoid it working as expected...
I don't know what level of testing the suppliers have done.

The standard firmware actually has all the drivers in for the demo board the Foundation built that uses the same chip. If they happen to have used the same setup, then it may all just work via the GPU.

Auvidea currently have the line on their website
All Raspberry Pi models are not supported (yet) software wise, as the CSI-2 interface of the Raspberry Pi models has not disclosed (yet).
The CSI bus is now accessible, but not as a kernel module (yet) - viewtopic.php?f=43&t=109137

The lane count on a standard Pi excludes 1080P60, but 1080P30 should be fine - already been discussed under viewtopic.php?f=44&t=101999 The video encoder is limited to 1080P30 anyway, so I don't know what you'd use 1080P60 for.

(The one bit that is going to be suboptimal if not going via the GPU firmware driver at the moment is converting the YUV422 that the Toshiba chip produces into a YUV420 image that the codec can consume. There is no exposed hardware to do so, and the software currently doesn't have a conversion either. It's on my list of tasks...)

bko

Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:30 am

I'm thinking about getting the B102 board from Auvidea to test with the Pi Compute Module. They have mentioned that no testing has been done on this yet, but they have confirmed it working with their J120 carrier board + NVIDIA Jetson TX1 compute module.

On the hardware side--the Pi Compute Module has 22 pins, but does it contain 4 CSI-2 data lanes?

6by9, I read part of the other thread as well where you mention that the video encoder can only do 1080p@30fps, but you also said it is theoretically possible to do 1080p@60fps--it is just not supported at this time. What needs to be done to enable the 60fps on the video encoder? Could you point me in the right direction and let me know which files need to be changed to support this?

fruitoftheloom

Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:13 am

bko wrote:I'm thinking about getting the B102 board from Auvidea to test with the Pi Compute Module. They have mentioned that no testing has been done on this yet, but they have confirmed it working with their J120 carrier board + NVIDIA Jetson TX1 compute module.

On the hardware side--the Pi Compute Module has 22 pins, but does it contain 4 CSI-2 data lanes?

6by9, I read part of the other thread as well where you mention that the video encoder can only do 1080p@30fps, but you also said it is theoretically possible to do 1080p@60fps--it is just not supported at this time. What needs to be done to enable the 60fps on the video encoder? Could you point me in the right direction and let me know which files need to be changed to support this?
These may be of interest:

viewtopic.php?f=43&t=154013&p=1007946#p1007946

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=120702

Thinking outside the box is better than burying your head in the sand...

6by9

Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:24 am

Assuming the wiring is as I remember, the CAM1 interface on the CM has 4 CSI lanes, CAM0 only has 2. Look at the schematics for the CMIO as that will confirm. Exposing the 4 lanes was the whole reason why the CMIO has a different connector for the camera and display (DISP1 has 4 lanes, DISP0 only 2).
With the current GPU driver you have no control over how any lanes to use. The Linux kernel driver for the CSI block is going in fits and starts, but that should give that control, and there is already a kernel driver for TC358743.

I don't recall ever saying that the video encoder could do 1080P60 unless it was with reference to an unknown level of overclocking.
We did make a change to allow H264 level 4.2 to be selected which breaks the 1080P30 enforced limit for the higher resolution high frame rate modes off the new camera module. Whilst intended for 720P resolutions, that should also allow you to select 1080P60 (technically 1080P64).
I haven't done much testing to work out what can be clocked through reliably, and as with all overclocking it will vary between devices where the reliable limit is.

Currently the driver is producing RGB888, although there may be an option for a YUV format. The video encoder can't consume that (only YUV420), so there's also a format conversion stage needed. The ISP hardware should be able to handle that even at 1080P60 (124MPix/s), but is another stage to be plumbed in, and more memory bandwidth being consumed.

Return to “Interfacing (DSI, CSI, I2C, etc.)”