Camera for the CSI-2 Port

12 posts
by gerfried » Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:36 pm
Hey,

we're building a robot as a student project at our university and we would like to use the Raspberry Pi board as mainboard.

We need Wifi, a camera and a bunch of other sensors, so we'll probably need more than two USB-Ports (allthough we try to connect most of the other sensors to the GPIO-Pins).
You could desribe it's function as driving around, taking pictures of several things and send them to a server.

But we cant find much information about that Camera Port.
We know it's a CSI-2-Port and it is specified by the MIPI-Alliance.
It looks like the camera module communicates with an extra controller board, which itself is compatible with I2C, did I get that right?

Does anyone have any more information about cameras we could use (maybe something like this?) and controlling them?

Greetings,
gerfried
by jamesh » Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:32 pm
Usually the camera requires two interfaces, the CSI 2 or CCP 2 port for the image data coming from the camera, and I2C to actually tell the camera what to do.

Next year the foundation will be selling a camera that you should be able to plug straight in - for the moment the CSI port is fairly unusable without an already supported camera - they need drivers on the GPU which cannot be written 'at home'.

There also the question of getting the camera data in to Arm Linux land from the GPU.

All this stuff will be sorted out when the proposed camera comes next year.

In the meantime you could use a USB camera.
Volunteer at the Raspberry Pi Foundation, helper at Picademy September, October, November 2014.
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by Zuljin » Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:35 pm
Hi

I'm also interested in this topic so if anyone have any information that will be great.
I think that the easiest way will be to use some camera from Android smartfone. Why? Because there is a great chance that open source linux drivers for such camera already exists and it will be easy to use them. Additionally ordering of such camera should not be difficulty.
by gtissington@gmail.com » Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:22 am
JamesH,

"Next year" is a little vague.  Any chance we might get an estimate?   Q1?, Q2?, Q3?, Q4?  Not looking for a promise just a schedule estimate.

Thanks,

Garth
by jamesh » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:06 am
I can narrow it down to 'this year'.
Volunteer at the Raspberry Pi Foundation, helper at Picademy September, October, November 2014.
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by giancarlo.forum » Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:04 am
gerfried said:

We need Wifi a camera and a bunch of other sensors, so we"ll probably need more than two USB-Ports (allthough we try to connect most of the other sensors to the GPIO-Pins).

(maybe something like this?) and controlling them?

Well i would like a camera too, but with this price.

I don't know R-Pi very well yet, and i don't know GPIO capacity.

Maybe R-Pi (Wifi and camera) + Arduino (collect sensors, control motors-servos) will work to you.
by giancarlo.forum » Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:18 am
here are 3 cameras with a price less than $4.

Samsung SPH M920

Samsung Moment M900

Samsung GLYDE SCH U940

Do someone know an Arduino board with internal clock (without cristal), like R-Pi?
by kcedgerton » Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:43 pm
JamesH said:

In the meantime you could use a USB camera.

What would it take to run a USB camera, would I need a specific camera, and is there somewhere I can get drivers.

I am also wondering about hooking up to wifi, how can I get a usb wifi adapter to work, or would I need to find an ethernet wifi adapter.
by jophrei » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:10 am
Depends on the Kernel, but I think that i'll be no problem to connect a wifi usb dongle or a usb webcam to the raspberry.

I have connected to my Dockstar (also ARM CPU) a usb webcam (Logitech C510) and it works very well, the CPU load is high during streaming, but thats normal for 720p streaming on a 1.2GHz CPU.
by nickc » Fri May 18, 2012 1:00 pm
giancarlo.forum wrote:here are 3 cameras with a price less than $4.

Samsung SPH M920

Samsung Moment M900

Samsung GLYDE SCH U940

Do someone know an Arduino board with internal clock (without cristal), like R-Pi?

What about the MicroChip Chipkit? - a very fast board with lots of memory and an onboard RTC -0 but you need to add the crystal yourself to enable it.

Nickc
by prof » Sat May 19, 2012 3:57 pm
jophrei wrote:...but I think that i'll be no problem to connect a wifi usb dongle or a usb webcam to the raspberry.

Just be aware you'll need an external powered hub to supply enough power to drive these devices.

For reasons that are discussed elsewhere on the forum the Pi limits the current on each of the USB ports to 140mA in a way that leads to some very confusing behaviour when a high power device is attached.
by jack3d » Mon May 21, 2012 1:59 pm
prof wrote:
jophrei wrote:...but I think that i'll be no problem to connect a wifi usb dongle or a usb webcam to the raspberry.

Just be aware you'll need an external powered hub to supply enough power to drive these devices.

what he said :!: