msmithy12

Glade on the raspberry pi

Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:14 pm

Hi i installed glade on my pi last week and have been trying to use the software to create a touch screen interface since then. My issue it that glade is power hungry (like sylar in heroes power hungry) which makes developing anything a slow painful process; especially when there is snow outside that is not yet in the shape of a carrot-nosed man.

Has anyone got any ideas on how i could use glade more effectively. Is it possibly to cross compile to the pi? is there a lighter GUI designer that i could use?

Thanks
I assume I know what I`m talking about... I probably don`t

Home: 256mb Made in UK, Rasbmc, 40" Sony Bravia KDL-40v3000
Work: 2b+, Rasbian, 6" Lilliput touchscreen

lavers

Re: Glade on the raspberry pi

Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:19 pm

I may be mistaken, but I think you can create your Glade UI on another computer, and then transfer the .XML file that it creates to the pi and compile your application there.

PeterO

Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:49 pm

lavers wrote:I may be mistaken, but I think you can create your Glade UI on another computer, and then transfer the .XML file that it creates to the pi and compile your application there.
I've done that with no problems.
PeterO
Discoverer of the PI2 XENON DEATH FLASH!
Interests: C,Python,PIC,Electronics,Ham Radio (G0DZB),1960s British Computers.
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

msmithy12

Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:24 am

Brilliant, I shall add that to the top of my to-do list next week.
I assume I know what I`m talking about... I probably don`t

Home: 256mb Made in UK, Rasbmc, 40" Sony Bravia KDL-40v3000
Work: 2b+, Rasbian, 6" Lilliput touchscreen

bprats99

Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:29 pm

I'm a newbie, been trying to get glade, gtk and pygtk working on the RPi, each has been a problem, RPi + glade is slow and I don't know if I am supposed to use Python 2.7 or 3+. GTK and PYGTK 2.7 are finally loaded and I copied a program from Liam Fraser HelloWorld-GTK.py but it gives what appears to be compatibility issues in the first error lines. When I read this post that glade will run on windows and it does, its so much faster and I assume it will work with gtk.builder and python when the XML file is transferred to the RPi .

I'm looking for lines of code to accept the glade 3 xml button signal and light a led or display hello. Seems the hard part are the first few lines of Python code to import the XML . Thanks.

Return to “Graphics programming”