kingbox1

Does video_decode and video_render support 4k decode and rendering

Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:40 am

Hi
I used video_decode and video_render to decode and render 4k video(3840x2160) on pi4 . However, the screen corrupts, anyone know whether video_render or video_Decod support 4k decode and render??

thanks

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Does video_decode and video_render support 4k decode and rendering

Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:47 am

I don't think so for the encoder. That uses the H264 codecs, which are limited to just over 1080p. The HEVC encoder is currently (and probably won't be) not part of the OpenMAX system. Not sure about the renderer upper resolution limit.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

6by9

Re: Does video_decode and video_render support 4k decode and rendering

Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:52 am

jamesh wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:47 am
I don't think so for the encoder. That uses the H264 codecs, which are limited to just over 1080p. The HEVC encoder is currently (and probably won't be) not part of the OpenMAX system. Not sure about the renderer upper resolution limit.
*cough* decoder, not encoder.

video_render will accept 4k happily, although you're better off looking at MMAL with zero_copy as IL inherently copies all buffers from the ARM to the GPU. At 4k that is a lot of memory being copied around the place.
Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Trading. Views expressed are still personal views.
I'm not interested in doing contracts for bespoke functionality - please don't ask.

Return to “Graphics programming”