mavo

OMX Video player / Internal error: Oops

Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:04 am

Hi,

I have 100 Raspberry Pi Zero 1.3 playing .h264 video streams in an endless loop using a custom OMX Player. 98 of them run for months without problems. 2 of them freezes within an hour after boot. The image freezes completely where the video frame is at. When debugging the issue (Connected via Wifi dongle + SSH) sometimes the device no longer responds to ping after the crash, sometimes this message is output:

kernel:[ 333.281015] Internal error: Oops - undefined instruction: 0 [#1] ARM

Nothing works until a reboot.

I tried swapping SD cards between good / bad devices, but the problem follows the Raspberry Pi so it's not SD card related.

After googling similar issues it seems to be an issue seen before, one suggestion was to use over_voltage=4 in config.txt. This solved the issue for #1 of the 2 Pi's crashing, it now runs for a week (still no issue), the #2 Pi still crashes within an hour.

So instead of trying lot's of things i wanted to hear if anyone has any experience on this issue, or any better suggestions for a reliable fix.

CPU does not seem to get especially hot.
I tried setting 256MB memory for the GPU

Raspberry Pi Zero 1.3
Hardware : BCM2835
Revision : 900093

Raspbian Stretch Lite
Linux version 4.14.98+

(Please, let me know if there's a better forum for this question)

Thanks
Mavo

worik

Re: OMX Video player / Internal error: Oops

Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:04 pm

I have had a similar problem running a video camera on a Raspberry PI
I am wondering whether the PI is capable of sustained heavy loads.
But in your case was it 2% of the PIs?
In which case, perhaps some are just bad.

mavo

Re: OMX Video player / Internal error: Oops

Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:21 am

Yes i would say except for the "bad ones" they seem very stable at semi-heavy loads. Running for months without reboot.

I have currently added the over voltage setting and added watchdog to reboot if the video rendering stops.

Return to “Graphics programming”