nik9907

SSH with GUI

Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:41 pm

This may be the wrong forum for this, but it seems like the most appropriate place to post this.
My situation is: I have an 8 channel relay board that I am going to wire to outlets/light switches in my home to control from my raspberry pi. My issue is, I want to have the pi touch screen hooked up directly to the pi that is wired to the relays so I can easily create a GUI with buttons like "Light on" "Light off" "Fan on" "Fan Off" etc. On top of this, I would like to either use another pi with another touch screen or an old android tablet that can SSH into the main pi and can run the same commands. Am I able to have the program open on the main and in an SSH terminal from another device, or will there be an issue with this? I am new to pi programming and home automation so I apologize if this seems like a dumb question.

B.Goode

Re: SSH with GUI

Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:07 pm

Welcome to the Raspberry Pi forums.

If the question can be translated as "Can an X-windows client application running on an RPi render its graphical output on the screen of another device connected via SSH?" then the answer is Yes.

You will need to run an X-windows server on the non-RPi device, and initiate the ssh session into the RPi with the X-windows-forwarding option enabled.

Alternatively, look into using the facilities offered by RealVNC, installed by default with Raspbian.

Raspberry Pi Foundation documentation for both options here: https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... te-access/

Return to “Graphics programming”