picandies

visual studio/MONO--any downside?

Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:47 am

Recently, in my research, I came across using Visual Studio & mono to try out some GUI's...man it was quick and easy. The graphics seemed pretty good (almost PC quality) & there were lots of options in the PC development environment to make all kinds of adjustment to each graphics object..

To my surprise, I barely see ANY mention of using Visual studio/mono in the rpi graphics arena...any reason for this lack of use? Until the other day I'd never even heard of using this & I've been developing quite a list of graphics tool. There's always one more rock to turn over.

Using Mono--Any problems? It makes me feel like I'm overlooking something--like everyone ran away from it. I wouldn't want to get way into a project to controlling motors and heaters & find that there is a major flaw with using mono & that I've wasted mega time. I've only seen very slight differences between what was drawn on the PC side & what appeared on the rpi screen (mono ver 5.10.0.160).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBsLR6QotoQ

I also discovered something called monodevelop, but haven't had a chance to see what it is about.

ShiftPlusOne
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Re: visual studio/MONO--any downside?

Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:19 am

.NET is mostly used withing the Windows ecosystem, which not many Linux users are interested in. There's nothing really wrong with Mono, but you may find that some of the newer modules which would work in Visual Studio and real .NET are not supported in mono or .NET core.

DougieLawson

Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:27 am

ShiftPlusOne wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:19 am
.NET is mostly used withing the Windows ecosystem, which not many Linux users are interested in. There's nothing really wrong with Mono, but you may find that some of the newer modules which would work in Visual Studio and real .NET are not supported in mono or .NET core.
The thing that doesn't work for me is the MQTT library, that makes mono useless for the stuff I'm trying to run with it.
Microprocessor, Raspberry Pi & Arduino Hacker
Mainframe database troubleshooter
MQTT Evangelist
Twitter: @DougieLawson

2012-18: 1B*5, 2B*2, B+, A+, Z, ZW, 3Bs*3, 3B+

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

picandies

Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:50 pm

Yeah, maybe the rpi hardware itself isn't so supported, things like I2c, spi, hdmi, and other hardware controls that you can control through Python libs.

DougieLawson

Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:39 am

You can do I2C with mono, there's an article in https://www.raspberrypi.org/magpi/issues/30/ (page 26) about getting that going. I've not tried it since 2014, so it may not work.
Microprocessor, Raspberry Pi & Arduino Hacker
Mainframe database troubleshooter
MQTT Evangelist
Twitter: @DougieLawson

2012-18: 1B*5, 2B*2, B+, A+, Z, ZW, 3Bs*3, 3B+

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

ghans

Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:02 am

The problem with Mono was that ARMv6 + VFPv2 was officially unsupported for the longest time. All Raspberry Pis made before 2015 used such a CPU. .NET users also didn't port their graphics libraries and video playback to openGLES/openMAX like the people behind Qt5 did in late 2011. This means the 3D (and 2D ??) perfomance is likely abysmal unless the new (started 2014) unstable driver is enabled. I doubt Mono supports fluid video playback on Pis till date though.

Last but not least nobody knew how things would turn out between Xamarin, Linux and Microsoft. Microsoft buying Xamarin might or might not have dispelled doubts from .NET skeptics.

I would not be suprised to learn that half a dozen Mono GPIO/I2C/SPI libararies exist. Such things seem to rather easier to write, especially when you can P/Invoke one of the many libraries already written in C.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

picandies

Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:48 am

Only interested in mono for normal gui uses (buttons, sliders, dials) , to control rpi hardware (led display, relays, mortor pwm, ad conversions, etc....no videos, or other high-data sources. But there seems to be very few concrete examples here of it actually being done..

Return to “Graphics programming”